1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The love of the kombi community

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alice in Kombiland, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

In 2007 We got a kombi together. It was before the days when fb was the 'go to' to contact people. Forums were still the main way the connect to people. We joined a kombi forum to get tips and meet people who had the same car.

This turned into a love of the car and the love of the people who drove them. Whether you were qcs, business people, students, grey nomads, coppers, or hippies... And much more. We were all friends united with the love of the spirit of a car which represented a strange but united community.

We shared the experiences of having to keep this old dream of a car alive. But most importantly, we found a community who would have never have come together without this car. And now, even if we didn't have the car, we have found life long friends.

Note: still have three in the front yard. But that's not the point.

Mr Beckstar, Ninga, oldman and 4 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Nice Alice! :)

I too, have made many genuine friends that I’ve met in person, and even stayed over at my home on the Kombi Club, which is why I have to disagree that FB is the “go to”. :confused:

I don’t do “social media”, and only hear about experiences that confirm my decision has been the right one. ;)

Each to their own, I guess.......:rolleyes:

Ninga, David H and Alice in Kombiland like this.
  3. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

I saw your post on wastebook so popped over to see what’s goss for Easter. Just around the corner now.
    I’m on Facebook for work and other volunteer pages I manage but nothing like the forum for reading and laughing material. Look forward to the banter till Easter.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Well done! :D

Like it...........;)

Barry likes this.
  5. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I suspect she had it in quotes as she actually agrees with you.
    Sadly a lot of us use Facebook as a central contact point for family and friends, only some of whom are interested in classic VWs.
    I personally dislike Facebook but feel it necessary and even convenient, but it is no replacement for KC.

oldman, melissa and Grantus like this.
  6. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

Look forward to catching up with you again. :)

melissa and Grantus like this.
  7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Some of my best friends I’ve made through kombis.
    Facebook has its place, can be a useful tool.

melissa likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Me too:).
    Not so many thru facebook tho:(.
    Cheers

9. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

That’s cool Alice!

Coming from a small country town, KC has enabled our little family to meet such a diverse group of people, some of which we have made terrific mates, not to mention receiving essential Kombi help and advice.
    There are also certain members who have helped us outside of the Kombi world and we will never forget it.

Grateful also for our no nonsense moderators. They really keep KC a happy place.

Where is that funny bugger who said something like... “I came for the Kombi’s and stayed for the people.” We miss him. :)

Chrissy.

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes.........where indeed.....o_O
    Cheers, Mark