1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rules Of Owning A Kombi

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by splitbus07, Apr 4, 2008.

1. splitbus07

splitbus07 New Member

I am only new myself to the power of owning a Kombi. I realise there a some rules that go along with owning a Kombi.... The only 2 i have come in contact with (while driving with my dad ) is the 'Kombi Wave' or 'Flashing Of Headlights', and if you see a fellow Kombi on the side of the road in distress, pull over and help....

Can some of you tell me the rest that goes with is, or is that it.....I would hate to do the wrong thing by a fellow brother!!!

Good driving to you all

j.

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Rule 3

I believe taking out RACV totalcare is also a rule (or your state equivalent)

I also think no matter how bad other drivers get, unleashing the bird is antikombi.

But seriously, great post!

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

J, the kombi wave is a big must to do. The flashing lights, probably not. Some one broke down on the side of the road or just pulled up for a pit stop is a definate pull up and say gidday. Talk kombi talk, exchange phone numbers and wish them good luck on their cruise.

cheers brian

4. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

I think its a sort of rule if anyone waves at you, then you have to wave back :)

I get like heaps of random people just smiling at the Kombi and waving crazily. I think if i were to not wave and smile back then that would be antikombi.

And beetles, if a beetle waves to you then you have to wave back. Cos they're nice too. :)

Oh and I don't know if its a rule but overtaking Kombi's. If for some reason I end up behind a Kombi I wave and such but I would feel that it would be wrong to over take it even if I could. I'm pretty sure that is just a personal thing though.

5. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

We've been overtaken by kombis (before going from a 1600 gearbox to a 1800). And one thing all the kombi drivers did was nearly fall out the window waving at us...so I didn't mind at all.

6. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

What others call "fault", you call "character".

7. Royce

Royce Active Member

Be patient and celebrate with the people who approach you and want to talk about their kombi or beetle they had when they were younger, or the story of the obligatory tirp around Oz or Europe in the 60s or 70s, or the one about the drives to school in dad's old microbus, or the one about buying a split for $50 and giving it away for scrap, or........

kombi drivers/owners get something in their blood (George Lucas may call them midi-chlorines) but in reality it is the VW owner virus, never gotten over, always there even if it in remission.

8. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

I remember when I was a kid, dad introduced me to the Kombi wave. I was a mere seven years old when Mum and Dad bought their dark blue 76 Microbus. Three speed automatic, shiny cream vinyl interior and gleaming chrome handles and hub caps, to me this car was a tank.. it was certainly the biggest thing i had ever seen.

You know what it's like when you buy any type of car, you suddenly see them everywhere and for a long time I silently wondered why we would get these waves from other Kombis and Dad would return with a hearty salute and a big smile.
    Finally I plucked up the courage and queried this strange practice.

Dad answered me thus:
    "Son, you wont find Holden drivers waving to Holden drivers... or Fords waving to Fords and you'll certainly never see a Datsun wave to another Datsun. This is something that only Kombi owners do. You see it takes a special kind of person to own a Kombi. Kombi owners are kind, considerate, patient people who will always help out another Kombi owner if they are in trouble. To own a Kombi is to see the world through wider, cleaner eyes, free from fear and prejudice. Kombi owners are a unique breed and the wave is just a small tip of the hat... a unspoken recognition... an acknowledgement of the silent brotherhood to each other, that each one knows that the other is on the right track..... and no matter where you go, there will always be other Kombi drivers out there, willing to lend a helping hand".
    I sat speechless, letting his words dissolve into my being. I tried to picture Ford drivers exchanging waves and helping to change each other's tires, but the images wouldn't gel.

Over the next 13 years that the Kombi was part of our family I saw many waves and returned many myself from the backseat, knowing that one day I too would join the brotherhood, not simply through family association, but in my own right.
    I've lost count of the number of waves I have given and received, but one thing's for sure....the smile never fades, the elbow never tires and I don't feel alone. :)

9. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

Craig...what an awesome story...I think that narrative sums up the spirit of the kombi!!
    Thanks for sharing it, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. :)

10. heartland

heartland New Member

Do the folks still have the Kombi Craig?

11. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

No, after they got rid of their caravan, they stopped doing a lot of travelling, and finally committed the ultimate sin.....
    they traded the Kombi for a (gulp) Commodore :(
    Bur to their credit, they have always said the Kombi was the best car they've had.

12. splitbus07

splitbus07 New Member

The Kombi will ALWAYS be the best car they ever had

J.

13. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Craig
    That would be one of the best descriptive lines I have ever heard in all my many years of VW ownership.....beautiful...(reminds me of the father & son talk in the movie The Castle...lol)...
    Says it all...perfectly
    Judy :)

14. Marty

Marty Active Member

Craig.. great words, sums it up perfectly.

15. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Craig, that story's going straight to the Pool Room! :p

Mate, well said. I don't reckon I could agree more. It's something that all my friends are now learning - when you go for an adventure (it's never just a trip) in Daisy and come across another Kombi, there's that special connection you have with other Kombi folk. And of course the subsequent display of that connection via the said Wave. Actually, my more regular passengers now look out for other Kombis and have their waves cocked and ready to go. It's quite amusing. :)

Try that in another car.

Julian.

16. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I was just at soccer this morning and one of the "soccer mums" was lamenting the fact that she no longer gets a Kombi Wave in her new T5. She's a Kombi chick from way back and almost cried when I told her that whenever I drive Lola, I always score a wave.

17. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Hey Roy?
    You better somehow find a way of making that explanation by craig a sticky and put it somewhere...Prominent....Just THE best. :cool:

18. surfajoey

surfajoey New Member

another rule to owning a kombi is either have a mechanic as your best mate..or deep bank account and 3/4/5 credit cards..all for keeping them on the road..hahahah (Im KIDDIN)

19. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

kudos to the old man Craig.

That sums it up better than anything ive heard before.
    I think it must be added to the Kombi Gods' Bible

20. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Fine words indeed!

I know my kids will feel the same way about Kombis. It will define a different childhood than most...leading to a different adulthood - just like your dad said, so perfectly!

Rich