1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Warren Project - Warren 2 that is

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DTM, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DTM

DTM New Member

Winning the war on Warren?

Hi again everyone. I feel a bit nervous about posting our project here because I'm new to this stuff and looking at some of the posts on here I'm not sure anything we do is going to help anyone. But people seem keen to see what other members are up to so I decided to put it up. Don't take anything we are doing as advice because we are learning as we go.

*NOTE all photos are up at http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo259/dtmweb/Warren/* I will post slightly smaller ones here from now on.

The First week

If you have seen my post in the new members section you will have seen the pics of us towing Warren home. Once got him home we woke up the neighbours to ask them to push their 2 vans out of their driveway so we could use their driveway to get access to my back shed. They helped us push Warren out the back then I took a section of fence out and easy as he was in the back shed. The guy who owns both houses was excited and ok with us doing this - turns out he lives opposite Roy in Mudgereeba.

[​IMG]

He was already partly dismantled but our task for the weekend was to take everything out and start grinding.

There were 4 of us going at one point. This is me taking the drivers seat out, Matt taking out the windows and Ed inspecting his grnding progress.

[​IMG]

The rock and roll bed was welded into the car and the bottom was never painted and was all rusty so I cut it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. DTM

DTM New Member

Week 1 (cont)

Darren got stuck into the floor inside which was mainly surface rust (other than the corners - see below).

[​IMG]

Eddie started grinding everything he could see. There were a few brief moments where we thought the rust wasn't as bad as we initially thought... they were brief but enjoyable moments.

Rear quarter. Not too bad.

[​IMG]

Window sill about the only one in the whole car with any rust in it. Creative use of a sanding pad to keep the bog in place.

[​IMG]

Pop top off, no rust at all in the roof, bonus. Pop top in pretty good nick too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  3. DTM

DTM New Member

Week 1 (cont again)

Doing this in multiple posts because of the image restrictions I hope that is ok. The images are hosted elsewhere so I can't think why this would be an issue but let me know if its a problem.

Eddie with his newfound love.

[​IMG]

Drivers side, looked like there might be some rust.

[​IMG]

Affirmative.

[​IMG]

and the front of the sill.

[​IMG]

4. DTM

DTM New Member

Week 1 (cont once again)

Footwell. Both sides.

[​IMG]

Back section looked a bit wobbly, started grinding.

[​IMG]

Must have been 3 tins of bog used on this section. It was 10mm thick most of the way up the panel.

It had been plated but poorly, I'll take the whole lot off and start again.

[​IMG]

No rust in it though, which was surprising and made me wonder why I spent so long messing with it.

Sliding door's pretty good too.

[​IMG]

It was a huge weekend, we all worked on it on saturday then I had to go out Sunday and Ed even came around by himself and put in a few hours on the grinder. I took over at 3pm in the arvo when he headed off but was interrupted by the police who had been called in for excessive noise at 4.30! They were nice and pretty interested in the progress on the bus so I gave them a 10 minute tour and called it a day. Turns out they lived next to Roy in Mudgereeba so they were also pretty interested. Small world.

I'll try to be good with posting pics and progress, I'm hoping to spend a bit of time over christmas working on it but I have no set timeframe and limited funds so this might be a slow one.

5. Resol

Resol Active Member

Making some serious headway there...
    Have you thought about some replacement panels to make it easier and quicker plus to rid Warren of the cancer?
    Looks like fun though.....

6. redhotchilliwilli

redhotchilliwilli New Member

good luck guys . long road ahead but im sure she will be great when she is done .
    rhcw

7. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Good on you guys for giving it a go :)
    In the beginning it seems it might be "too big a job"...but in the end you will be glad you did...
    Years ago people told us "your mad taking that on"....but we did...
    In the end it will be you (on that first drive back on the road after you've retored it) that won't be able to wipe the smile off you face...:)
    ....looking forward to watching this happen
    Judy

8. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Good work fellas...i'm watching with interest as im about to do the same with my old Bess.;)
    Steve

9. DTM

DTM New Member

Panels

Thanks guys yeah it is a bit daunting to look at for now but it should be fun. Resol Yes I'll be getting new panels where I have to. I was kind of hoping that some of the bits could be fixed by cutting some panels off one that is being wrecked. Say for example the bit where the checkerplate was for the gas or the big under the passenger seat where it should be easy to cut off another car but I don't know much about whether you can ever find decent bits on ones being wrecked or even if there are any out there being wrecked. I was going to ask a few people around the coast but in the absense of that it will be new panels. Am keeping my eye on ebay for a welder!

10. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Great start guys

Keep at it guys.

It is very satifying to say that you have done a lot of the work yourself ..... especially when you are limited in funds. Plenty of threads to motivate and be a teaching aid as well on here. Look at any work by Al in the Resto section and it's like following a step by step instruction.

59 Split Screen Resto http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=12213

We are about to do some more work on Wilfred's panels over the Christmas/New Year period so will will be grinding and sanding, cutting and welding like you as well.

The Wilfred Resto http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=7408

Here's to progress on both fronts.

Cheers and Beers
    Brett

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Guys, you look like you are getting pretty serious. I have got for an early xmas present the Book on restoring the VW bus. This guy has done rebuild complete on a scale that is even more than yours and there are 1500 pics and tips on everything he did. It is worth about $80 bucks but it is well worth it. The guys name is Mark Paxton and it is printed by Veloce Publishing. ISBN 9781845840938. I heard about on KC a few months ago and found a link on google to the first few pages which interested me, and then it was a big step to buy it as it is a lot of money if it turns out to be not much good. But I am very satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone looking to restore a bus.

Regards
    Adrian

12. chino

chino New Member

cool to see the pics up mate! it was a big weekend. looking forward to the next stage. when do you finish up work for the year again? ed

13. lawso21

lawso21 Member

Awesome effort good to see you having a crack at it yourself, after all there is nothing a good welder can't fix
    Cheers

14. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Nice one! Getting stuck right into it!

However this new Warren thread has totally blown my cover as a complete and utter poser. THIS is what a resto should look like.

Real restos should involve bog in the hair and up the nose. Me, sh*t, I have to stop typing now, I've broken a nail. :cry:

15. DTM

DTM New Member

Update - Grinding

Thanks to everyone who has wished us luck. RHCW love your burnt orange lowlight. Keen to see what the indicators look like, I like the clean front, I wonder if the same thing is possible on a 74? Thanks Judy, do you have a link to more pics of your bus? Thanks for the tip Brett, I've now been through about 10 of the restos online awesome, I'll keep a keen eye on Wilfred, I love those utes. and I've been through Al's posts phenomenal. Also checked out his workshop last week to see Geoff's progress on Isla's bus, very exciting, he's done a lot of welding and has very cool plans, can't wait to see that unfold. Thanks also Adrian, I'll have a dig around for that book that makes a lot of sense.

Ok a bit of an update, not too much done over Christmas but we've made a bit of progress.

More grinding.

Eddie took to the previous owners work on the front and the door and the step. You dodgy bugger!

Step was all primed ready to paint. not likely.

[​IMG]

Ed grinded all the front, most was ok.

[​IMG]

But some bits on the roof showed holes so we'll have to start cutting to see how far the rust goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DTM

DTM New Member

Update - More Grinding

More on the front

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed also grinded the back, mostly good.

[​IMG]

Front wheel arch, rusted in the bottom corners, both sills need replacing hasn't spread too much into the wheel arch.

[​IMG]

17. DTM

DTM New Member

Update - Pop Top

We then took the pop-top off, ground round all the roof sills, all good.

[​IMG]

And the inside edge of the roof which was all exposed metal but for some reason stuff all rust. Just a little grind in preparation for etch primer.

Not to the Pop-top

It was pretty grubby and the outer edge was flaky and weak.

First I added a strip of fibreglass to both edges to toughen them up.

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

18. DTM

DTM New Member

Pop-top cont

Another after shot of the edge.

[​IMG]

Then for cleaning up the top.

The edge after removing the rupper protective strip

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

19. DTM

DTM New Member

Pop-top cont

Then the surface of the poptop. Sanded the whole thing either by hand, or with the grinder sanding disk or with the orbital sander depending on what was easiest to use.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Most of the scratches just sanded out but there are still a few dents and scratches that will need filler or high build primer. I will have to ask at the paint shop about what to use on the pop top.

Another shot after sanding.

[​IMG]

20. DTM

DTM New Member

Pop top hole

Most of the roof was fine other than this nasty bit.

[​IMG]

After a lot of sanding back it was clear that the previous owner had just added a thin layer to the top which was why it was sticking up above the rest and after sanding it flaked away to nothing. I cut the area out.

[​IMG]

And filled it again with lots of layers including one over the top that I will sand back to get a smooth-ish surface. I think I will still need a thin layer of filler for this section because it won't be 100% smooth.

[​IMG]

Will keep you updated with the progress.

I'm buying some toys today including some primer, filler, spray gun (maybe compressor or might just borrow my mates), mig welder and some other little bits.