1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to give my bus the love it deserves

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by LonePiper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

I have a 1973 Microbus.
    My kombi has been in the family since 1988 - practically the day we moved to Australia, but since my dad passed away, there hasn't really been anyone to take great care of it. I'm definitely the VW nut of the family, and it has passed on to me, but I've simply lacked the time, space and most importantly knowledge to keep it in a decent state. As a result, it has been kept going on patch ups for the past 20 years or so.
    But enough is enough. He's been with me through thick and thin, and deserves better than this. I've decided to do a bit of a resto.
    The main problems in my way are the fact that he's my daily driver, so I can't keep him off the road too long, and money. Know-how is still a bit of an issue, but armed with every service and workshop manual and VW how-to guide under the sun, plus access to you lovely people and a couple of great local VW mechanics, I think I should be able to overcome that hurdle at least.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

Here are the pics as he is at the moment:

The good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

The Bad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

The ugly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

The first step is a cut and polish and a clean interior. He should come up reasonably well, and that hopefully will give me the motivation to tackle the next step: refurbishing the interior.

You may see I undertook the interior some time ago, making my own cards based on the originals and covering them with material. This turned out to be a disaster. I cut many of them slightly the wrong shape and the material I chose was absolutely the wrong thing.
    My dog has also managed to rip the vinyl on the back seat to shreds, and those horrible brown things you see in the front is what is left of the seats my father installed to replace the ailing original seats some 25 years ago.
    However, things are not too grim: I have a set of professionally made cards waiting to be covered and installed, and replacement front seats out of a 1971 lowlight.
    So the plan is to refit the front seats and reupholster everything including the new cards.

After that (or perhaps before, depending), I think the engine and carbies need some attention. There are a number of oil leaks to be plugged up, and some serious tuning to be done. Ideally I'd love to have them completely refurbished, but I think I just have to be realistic.

Then I hope to have all the rust fixed and the whole thing resprayed (only in acrylic, not 2 pack. Again, being realistic!), and I think then he will be respectable again!

So I'll be checking in again in the near future. The next couple of weeks don't look promising, but hopefully after that I will get the ball rolling!

6. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Good luck with the resto Bjorn , look forward to seeing the photos of your journey , loads of very knowledgeable folk in the KC to assist you along the way !

Cheers Stu

7. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

Hi Bjorn!

Welcome to the family... Keep the pics coming and review others experiences in the 'Resto Corner'

John

8. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

Well, it's been ages since I've posted anything. Work on my Kombi has been slow due to several factors, mainly time, money and finding parts and people do do the jobs for me.
    However, I feel I've built up a reasonable network of experts in my area that can help me get my car where I want it to be!
    Latest project: replacing the bulkheads and installing original VW seats.
    As you can see in an above post, the seats were not original. Not sure where they came from, but someone has suggested out of an old falcon. My father, apparently, when he bought the car in 1988 installed them, cutting the bulkheads out in the process so they would fit in.
    A couple of months ago I sourced some lowlight seats, but have only recently managed to source the bulkheads and someone to weld them in for me. (Thanks Ian from Dubworks! :))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I have a microbus, I imagine the originals actually came with headrests, but TBH I prefer them this way. It creates a more open atmosphere and makes it easier to talk to you passengers!
    Of course the vinyl is a bit ratsh*t, as you can see - particularly the driver's side. I hope to remedy that also in the near future. Just trying to work out the best option at the moment (whether I get the vinyl and someone to help my make the covers myself, get the covers pre-made, or pay someone to make them for me. Considering there's a lot more upholstery to be done, I suppose I'll try and get it all done in one whack)

9. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

A good Start Bjorn, Well done , Looking forward to the rest of the Restoration.:cool:

Cheers Tony.:)

10. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Bjorn keep going with it mate
    After all it is family !

11. sacky

sacky Member

Good luck with the resto looks very straight cut and polish will do wonders, if it was me I would tackle the bad rust spots first the longer you leave them the worse they get.

12. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Looks like a stack of work in front of you, but glad to see your faith in the bus.

Keep us posted as it progresses.
    Jim