1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TLC Single Cab

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by onetrackwonder, Nov 19, 2019.

1. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Well it has been cooking for a while now but as of today we have finally picked up our latest VW addition to the family, its a 1990 2.1 T3 Single Cab, since it was arranged I have been like a little kid waiting for christmas waiting for the day and it feels like it has been months, some of you may have seen her before as I have posted some pics of it when I have been working on it for the previous owner, I have cared for this car for the last 5 years for the love of Kombi's as the owner has been unable to work on it himself or had the money to send to a mechanic and because of this the old Kombi Karma kicked in big time and they asked me if I would like to buy it, sadly I said no as we are just nearing completion of our house and money is not a thing that we have floating around at this time in our life, so I said sorry but as much as I would love to own her no we can't afford to buy her, they then said what you can't afford one dollar, I was at first confused and while what they were saying started to sink in I then felt embarrassed for a moment until the excitement started take over and I said yes, so today we picked her up and motored about 12 minutes back to our place and on the way home all of a sudden dash water temp lights started to flash and I thought it was the coolant bottle sensor playing up as the plug doesn't actually clip properly and lock on, then I smelt coolant and switched her off and rolled for about 3km and then started it up for the last couple of k's, when I pulled up she was smoking hot, after an hour or so I took a look and the coolant bottle was empty, so I left it while I installed the gates and gave it a bit of a tub, then filled the coolant bottle just with water and it was pissing out behind the drivers side head, upon further investigation the hose has a big split in it so I will be ordering new hoses all round first up, for some reason the front gate brackets on either side have been cut off so thats another job down the track, there is a little rust in it but much better than I had thought, the treasure chest has been covered with fish oil and is mostly dry except for a few minor spots , there are a couple of holes on the panel under the grill and a bad spot on the front passengers side of the roof, anyway here are some before and after pics, it was only a quick clean and lots more to go, happy days, cheers Greg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    TeeBee, Syncro27, burnsy62 and 6 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Finally home Greg! :)

Looks like more than you need at the moment, so I’ll let you double your money, and offer you $2, to take it off your hands.... :rolleyes:

Learn and sort the H2O issues, (along with the rust)...... so you can then enjoy the ride! ;)

And PLEASE, accept that your new acquisition is either a Single Cab (SC), or a Pritsche.

There is no such thing as a “SINKA”.:confused:

Syncro27 and onetrackwonder like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Great job Greg. Rescued another one;). Gonna call that the VW shed:p.
    Found an owner for a $1 undercover. He's landed well;)
    Cheers

onetrackwonder likes this.
  4. onetrackwonder

No Grant you have enough already so consider your offer refused, ok I am willing to call it a Singe Cab, but how do you change the title of the thread here, Sinka is all over the net and the internet never lies, :( looks like you are just going to have to be pissed off every time I post something :), forgot to mention TLC was Katherine's call as it was Tony and Linda's car, H2O will be the first, full rust repair will be down the track, but for now will be lanox, cheers Greg

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Well deserved rehoming :)

I have a few engine bay bits if you need them.
    And if nothing closer can do a few cuts.

6. Grantus

Let’s just change it to “TLC T3 SC”, or “TLC SC”? I’m sure a mod will help out. ;)

Are you really sure you don’t want to double your money now, coz I KNOW you will spend half a house mortgage on this one down the track... :oops:

But it will be worth it. :)

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Happy to change the title if you like Greg. Well done on taking over as custodian :)

Syncro27, onetrackwonder and Grantus like this.
  8. onetrackwonder

Thanks Melissa, can't have Grant upset, TLC Single Cab would be great, cheers Greg ;):)

Syncro27, melissa and Grantus like this.
  9. Grantus

Just like to keep it accurate........and not as the internet would have people believe!

Yes, the dual cabs are known as a DOKA, abbreviation of the “doppelkabine”, but the Single Cabs were never a SINKA. ;)

And welcome Greg, to the KC T3 brotherhood! :)

Syncro27 and onetrackwonder like this.
  10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Looks like another rare single cab saved, looks like it had an honest working life now to pamper it in retirement :)

David H and onetrackwonder like this.
  11. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Haha - I don't think Grant would be upset - just looking out for you ;)

Grantus likes this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Something definitely has that cats attention

Looks good besides that bit of roof rust

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Nice new acquisition,picking up a SC ute. Not many around.

14. onetrackwonder

Phil I know that for the last 20 years it has either carried a surfboard or a push bike and the occasional green waste trip to the tip, the tray is quite dinged up but the treasure chest is in great nick
    Barry it may look worse than it is because it has silicone over the rust and then paint, I’m keen to look at that first once the cooling side of things is sorted, luckily all our vehicles are garaged

15. onetrackwonder

Thanks Wayne, hopefully one day I can return it to its glory, I doubt to the standards that you have been able to achieve.
    Had a bit of a look around today and when I pulled the front house carpet out I had to take the front panel off that covers the heater hoses, funny the things that you find done to old cars,I will have to ask Tony if he remembers why he clamped those on the hose, also gave it a bit of a bath in the engine bay, still lots more cleaning needed, and I pulled the split coolant hose out, there are a few others in need of replacement, they have the genuine VW Audi stamp on them so perhaps they are the originals and they have been on there for 30 years, not sure, cheers Greg

[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  16. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

It's in good hands. Yes it is always interesting what previous owners have done to there cars and more to WHY.;) That's where I left those pliers:oops:o_O:rolleyes:
    Is Tony the original owner of the Ute?

David H likes this.
  17. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Think I saw that pair of pliers in Old Boys engine bay back in '87;) Wayne. I blocked off all the anti pollution stuff on Old Boy & used those pliers to find out what to block off;).
    Not sure why anyone would want to block off heater hoses tho':eek:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  18. Grantus

My guess is the heater valve / tap, below the floor, above the spare tyre, doesn’t turn off fully, and the heater is then on all through summer. :rolleyes:

That clamp would turn the heater off effectively........;)

Syncro27, Barry and onetrackwonder like this.
  19. Grantus

While you are chatting to Tony, can you ask why the front hinges were cut & removed from the gates, and the mounting plates on the body?

That modification has me puzzled......[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. onetrackwonder

Grant I was thinking that the heater couldn’t be shut off, I’m hoping that he can remember why the hinges were cut off, I’m also hoping that the off cuts are also still there somewhere, they don’t look easy to duplicate, when I was closing his roller door it wouldn’t close as if something was in the track or something, I lifted the door back up to find about 300mm missing from the middle of the track, I looked at Linda as Tony was inside and before I could ask WTF she said Tony needed a bit of steel one day, this is an example of his no care attitud caused from his brain injury, he couldn’t see anything wrong with that, cheers Greg