1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much petrol??

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Samara_001, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Samara_001

Samara_001 New Member

Hey everyone!
    I recently bought a Kombi and I'm taking it on our first highway drive and in 100kms its gone through nearly half a tank! I'd say about 17-18L.
    It's a 1974 Auto.
    Is this normal for an auto?
    Did I just not realise what I was getting myself into! Haha
    Thanks

2. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

52 liter tank. more like 25 per 100. Thats defiantly not right. You may also have a faulty gauge.

Take a 3 liter jerry can around with you and run the bus dry from fill up. I get bang on 400klm.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I get around 250KM from 40L in an 1800 Auto.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Use a better method of determining fuel consumption. Fuel gauges are not accurate.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

My fuel gauge is just like yours...there is another thread about how to fix it

2 ways motor out replace the sender or cut a whole in floor above the fuel tank and replace the sender from there

I am waiting until i have to take the motor out for whatever reason...hopefully never
    In the mean time i fill up every 250 to 300 km....
    Usually about 30 to 35 litres....so i know i have plenty to spare i think the tank is 50 litres
    Welcome to the club and some of the many querks that make up the charm of driving a dub

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

like the guys said. more accurate measurement needed before panicking.

fill -drive-refil-miles travelled method.

ABSOLOUTLY CRITICAL that you dont overfill and that you check/replace all fuel lines/breather lines ASAP if this is a new bus. Especialy if you smell fuel.

its why theses things catch fire. old cracked lines.

Also, if you park on an angle [usualy nose up or a bit sideways[, beware that fuel doesnt leak thru carbs to engine crankcase. will show up as a higher reading on oil dipstick when measured on dead flat surface.

not suggesting that all these things are happening but need checking on a new toy.

cheers
    col

7. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

That's pretty bad if your gauge is accurate... almost as bad as Abby when I got her. I don't know exactly how bad she was because the fuel gauge was broken (still is.... the depth sender got replaced but we think there is a hole in the float because it's only accurate when it's empty... be careful with the Chinese ones if you replace yours) but I felt like I was constantly filling up... I ran out on more than one occasion but always carried a Jerry can, just make sure (unlike me) it's restrained properly as I was lucky it was empty when I had a bingle..... and Kombi's aren't like Beetles there's no warning/chugging when they run empty, they just suck the tank dry and die....
    Part of Abby's problem.... she's a 75 1800 Auto.... was that she was drowning in fuel because she had 2L manual carburettors so the jets were too big. Now she has 1800 Auto carburettors, a rebuilt distributor and new fuel pump she runs so much better and uses substantially less fuel.... (I haven't filled to the brim in a while but I think my tank holds 56L??).... she cruises down the freeway now barely touching the pedal, compared with when I got her, when flat out she only got to 100km/hr when going down hill.... She was blowing a lot of soot out the tailpipe too, Dad's garage door still bars the stains....
    In fact I took her up to the Barossa about two weeks ago for a job interview, up the freeway, a road I hadn't been on since I first got to drive her (on a VW cruise with one of the clubs). I literally had everyone overtaking me that first time, it was horrible (I was nearly in tears because I thought it was normal.. what had I gotten myself into!) but now she cruised up this time at 100 with pedal to spare... I was nearly in tears again but for a whole different reason, I was very happy.. my poor little Abby, what a difference 12 months has made to you....

A friend of mine gets about 10km/L in his 2L manual.... I'm not aware that Autos are supposed to be thirstier than manuals but I cold be wrong.

I would suggest the fuel gauge is a considerable culprit though.... my Beetle drops 1/3 a tank from full in about 30km if I trusted it....

Abby.75

8. Samara_001

Samara_001 New Member

Thank you everyone!
    Turns out I did about 220kms with 28L. Thought I was on empty when I filled up but guess my gauge is just off. Thanks for the tips I'll replace the fuel lines and everything you suggested. And yeah abby he really struggled to do past 80kms so might have to get that checked out too because I also thought that was just normal!
    I'm still a total newbie with all this kombi stuff but I'm loving it! :)

9. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

What size motor??? As a 74 I'm guessing a 1800 like Abby???
    If so top speed is 122 I think, if I remember correctly..... Abby struggles a bit to get there but she does have a compression/leakdown problem which doesn't help. We are going to build her a new motor in the not too distant future.... I want to stay 1800 but the new one will run rings around the current one.... However thanks to 1500king she (and my Beetle) have never run so well despite all their issues.. we strongly suspect that Abby was a parts car at one stage... so much was missing from her.
    Struggling at 80 is definitely not normal no matter what anyone else might tell you. (And when the motor is behaving itself funnily enough so does the automatic for the most part....) I wold definitely get it looked at by a trusted mechanic but it will probably cost a lot of dosh to put right... 40 years of neglect and all that... Make sure that the carburettors and distributor are the right ones and working properly/rebuilt and you will not look back despite the cost, although it might show up other problems, as with Abby.... With how badly she drove when I got her I would have never thought it would have been so relatively straight forward to get her running so well....

Abby.75

10. Samara_001

Samara_001 New Member

I know next to nothing about any car so I'm not sure but I think I was told its a 1600 and a 3 speed.
    When I bought him he was revving way too high so got it calibrated? And a cylinder repaired. And things are going better now. Yesterday I managed to hit 100kms but the revs were off the dial so I slowed back down to 80. I'll have to get it checked out I guess.
    I also have to get it fixed ASAP because the pop top straps broke while driving and it nearly flew off! The poor thing has been so neglected!

11. bern

bern Well-Known Member

mate, I would love to know your secret
    how you make 250 Litres from just 40 Litres :lol: automagically !

btw; vw autos were built to be economical
    maybe a 5-10% increase in fuel costs cmprd to a manual,

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Just like Jesus turned water into wine! It should read. 250KM. from 40L.