1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyo tyres

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by KombiFringe, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Oly

Oly New Member

Ok insert opener and prepare worms, Toyo H08s 195 75 R14 OR Bridgestone Supercat 195 75 R14?

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Grab them @ $90.00 for 4 o_O

3. KahunaKombi

Personal preference at the end of the day - price may play a part in your decision making - the Toyo's were recommended by Jon Ward who was a tyre fitter @ Tyrepower as his opinion was they were the best of what was around :rolleyes:

4. Oly

Oly New Member

Thanks for the response, I will go with the Toyo. Never had them before so give them a go. Kmart looks like they have best price at the moment however with my bus and our safety, I look at price last and what is best first.
    Thanks to all on this great forum for great information,feedback and assistance.
    Much gratitude.
    Cheers Chris

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

cant get Ho8 in 195/75/R14
    they are 195R14 which is a LT and actualy an 80 / 82 profile.
    Different designations depending where the R is on reading sidewall info

so the 195 toyo will be slightly taller than stock 185R 14 and 195/75/14 slightly smaller than stock.
    Both only by small amounts that are not significant deciders unless you want to nudge in either direction or having lack of power issues already.

Other consideration is if you follow the "have to have LT tyres" view?
    I don't, unless you overload your kombi or do hard off road track driving , but you still need to have a load rating over 94 at least. both do.

The difference in sidewall flex and hence handling can be adjusted with tyre pressure.
    Passenger tyre will be slightly more comfortable on average roads and slightly more grip on gravel roads.

Grip /safety in emergency situations is a big factor in my book .
    Without objective test data I cant say but both should be adequate and better than cheap passenger tyres or usual LT tyres[both of which should be avoided].

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

How much for Ho3?
    expect they are same carcass and compound but slightly more blocky tread pattern.
    Only a back to back test would show any improvement .

7. Oly

Oly New Member

Thanks cbus my bus not a camper and not loaded up usually. I was running Goodyear GTR 195 many years ago they were good for me at the time. What passenger tyres do you run? I do like the idea of a little wider than 185 however that is completely unsubstantiated by facts just my mindset(more footprint = better grip).
    Cheers Chris

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I have a mix of tyres on a few kombis. some good some average .
    Always followed the 'best grip at affordable price' scenario because good grip, then progressive loss and recovery is most important when needed most.
    I agree with having a bit more width/footprint.
    Compound is the biggest factor all other things being equal.
    Good shocks and brakes also critical factors for safety.

Comparing brands is fraught with danger as I have found that there is a wide disparity within a brand but obviously cheap brands tend to be uniformly dangerous.
    for no other reason than a calculated guess or I ended up with a set;

[I would seek to buy upper midrange if poss.
    Ie good wet and dry grip in hard braking and good controllability/recovery in a slide/lockup.
    Good handling. good feedback for steering inputs, good directional steering.
    Lower midrange is acceptable and better than many but I would seek something slightly better as minimum.
    Many people are happily running on treacherous tyres and unaware till it rains or think all kombis are like that. ]

Goodyear Wrangler, D sport. 195R14.
    reasonable comfortable tyre. Lower mid to Midrange generaly but can easily find limit on a roundabout.Both under steer and over steer [especialy in wet] wouldn't buy again. My dirt track tyres because I recon they can hack it and they were obtained at right price.

Starfire 215/60/16. SC2
    as above . Lower mid to Midrange generaly but can easily find limit on a roundabout. Both under steer and over steer[especialy in wet] wouldn't buy again.
    brought them based on SC1 experience and no SC1 in that size avail.

[I have no experience with Toyo Ho8 or the bridgstone but anticipate they will be similar to above or into midrange.
    Pure guesswork. Still think they are acceptable and worth trying.
    Nothing much else in those sizings. certainly better than most LT or cheap brands.]

Have had
    Starfire 235/45/17. SC1
    brilliant improvement over the cheap chinese directionals originaly on the rims.
    Good directional stability, good grip, good recovery. realy hard to find limit on same 'test' roundabout.
    High midrange

Victra 511 . 235/45/17
    replacements when I couldn't get the SC1's
    very similar pattern. similar in most respects.
    can find limit .
    Mid to upper midrange but under the SC1 for wet braking and roundabout

In days long past have run a variety but all out of date now.
    Some were realy in the upper and unbelieveably good when first out but I did notice what I believe may have been a change in compound within the first 18 months and subsequent tyres of same model were less impressive.
    I don't go bridgestone due to really poor performance, first hand, on their mid market passenger and 4wd tyres many years ago.
    In all brands, the normal family hack replacement sector tyres are usualy marginal . takes some research to find acceptable performing ones.

sorry I cant be more specific but haven't found much in the 14" sizing that's likely to be midrange or better by my criteria.
    Doesn't mean its not available but I would want to see objective tests to believe the sales hype.
    Not a popular size now so a lack of tests in current offerings.

9. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Thanks Col - I wouldn't be putting light truck tyres on!

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Like you said, for tyres, quality & safety should always be the first consideration over price.:)

However, I'm amazed at the amount of customers tyre places get, saying "Put on the cheapest tyres, coz it's just the wifes car." :eek:

11. KombiFringe

KombiFringe Member

Well got my Hno8 Toyo 185/14 Woooohoooo so quiet no hailstorm noise when we drive..tyres $85.00 each pules 45.00 wheel alignment.
    Great for lower noise level not screaming in actual conversation...Feel the difference on the road short trip only. Next week go for a drive and see.
    Thanks for the help....

cbus likes this.
  12. KombiFringe

KombiFringe Member

Yes $90.00 per tyre, but I bought them for $85.00 per tyre, same company near me $115.00 per tyre .

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

nice payoff for doing the homework.
    cant beat that price for the standard of tyre

KombiFringe likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

Glad you got them @ a good price and happy with them :)

15. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Hi guys, any help on tyres would be appreciated. Looking at getting four tyres from Kmart Auto, HO8 seem to be the way to go but I'm confused about which one to get for my '70 bay. Kumho also seem to generally well reviewed (have them on my normal car) what kuhmo tyre best suits a kombi? Just wanted to do a comparison of the two brands. Cheers, Leah

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Toyo.

17. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

What he said. I just put 4 Toyo Nanoenegry 3's on the kids old Liberty and the diesel outback and while they are car tyres (not load rated for Kombi) the performance and ride is exceptional. The volksie runs Khumo only because rims are 7 x 14 inch and Khumo is load rated - performance, ride and wear is great but not quite HO8

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I put Toyo Ho8 on our last kombi and also put them on the T3 before that, I then put todos on our used to be Golf. So I guess I like Toyo.

19. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Not a direct comparison but food for thought. My work van (a Caddy not kombi) came with Bridgestone B250 on them, don't think the load rating is suitable for a Kombi, but I always found them to be good in the wet and dry.
    I've tested them vigorously on a couple of roundabouts on the way home. When they wore down the fronts got swapped over for Supercats and I haven't been impressed with them. They tend to lose traction when pushed in the dry and can get loose easily in the wet on said roundabouts. Not sure if being front wheel drive effects performance but haven't liked the supercats.

20. Woolly

Woolly Member

Hi all - My Two cents worth on tyres having researched and replaced my tyres early this year.

I found a shop called Big Tyre Group based in Lawnton (just north of Brisbane) who stock a 22mm white walled tyre 195/R14C (C for light commercial). Brand is Victoria - no doubt a Chinese manufacture (which is the same for pretty much 90% of tyres anyway). $120 each fitted and balanced. Have been running since January, 4000+ miles clocked up (mix of city and highway) wearing very well so far. Running fronts at 36 psi and rears at 42 psi (long story on pressures but arrived at these pressures after an extensive testing period in 2014). For what it is worth if you are chasing white walls I can recommend these tyres and the shop - excellent service.