1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailers

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by PICT, Sep 30, 2018.

1. PICT

PICT Active Member

What are your thoughts on trailers??

I’m currently trying to decide if it’s better to load my van with my camping gear or get a small trailer and load up that and leave the van empty.

I can see the benefits of both, what are your thoughts/experiences?

I’m my case I’ve got a 72 van with a good 1600, can easily do 110 but usually sit at 95-100 so towing a trailer isn’t going to increase my journey time.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Oldman tows a trailer with his gear in it and he's posted some information on here :rolleyes: as to the amount of detail :confused: ...... have to go searching to find the thread :eek:

3. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

We use a trailer a lot. Mind you there's not much room in the Notch. I'm working towards a teardrop to be ready about the same time as the Bay.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

rstucke and paul77 like this.
  5. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's the picture I was thinking of :rolleyes: ...... was in the Old Bar 2015 thread and mentioned by Mark in the thread link he has posted :D

[​IMG]

oldman likes this.
  7. PICT

PICT Active Member

I have searched all the threads I could find before, but was looking to create a discussion about if you find its better to have all the weight in the van or tow a trailer with the weight in that.

I can see the benefits of having the weight in the van as no aero drag or additional weight of the trailer or hassle/cost of a trailer, but I can also see the benefits of having the weight out of the van and in a trailer plus you then have space in the van to move about and saves having to climb over stuff to get into bed if on a long journey.

In my head it's better for the van/engine to have the weight out of it, yes the overall weight will be higher, but once you are up to speed it shouldn't matter in any way.

In this case for the amount of stuff you can fit in the van, you wouldn't need a big trailer so the aero drag woudn't be much as it would be smaller than the back of the van.

My thoughts for my case are keep clothes in the van (only has a full width bed with storage under), then fridge, food, water, solar panels, seats, tables, cooking equpment and general other stuff in the trailer.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Mark did a fuel comparison with both recently.
    Hopefully he can remember the numbers.
    I was quite surprised at how good they were with trailer.
    Keep in mind his is all sorted re engine carbs etc and small aero trailer.
    An engine on the sad side would be a different matter.

I haven't done a back to back test with kombi but I have done long trips shifting with a fully packed 1600cc kombi plus roof rack and it handled it fine.
    Obviously slightly more careful on corners.

Camping locally with station wagon with and without trailer....
    Went for the trailer as much easier to take more gear for week camps and more comfortable in car.

Being able to easily slip into the bed when travelling is good.

Being just me its easier to minimise gear and not need trailer.

9. PICT

PICT Active Member

I've also done fully packed and a roof rack with spare wheel/10l fuel above the cab, sold the rack after that trip and just pack inside the van now, the van also originally came with a roo bar that let a spare wheel to be added there, took that off and the change in handling was huge same with ecomony and noise.

Every year we usually head up to Ningaloo from Perth ~1300 km's each way (usually do about 1100km one day then stay overnight and finish the next day) and spend time beach camping for a few weeks, I'm good a minimising on gear, but to spend time on a beach where the only thing you have is a long drop and a flat peice of ground, you need a certain amount of things.

This is also for the planning stages for a trip to Karijini in a couple of years.

Interesting to hear about the fuel comparison, I hadn't found that yet if it was posted online.

Another thought I was thinking was safety, if we were in a crash then having stuff in the trailer would be a lot safer than a packed van, less things to hit you from behind!!

10. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Notch not Kombi but similar engine. 190km to Morgan with 1 long downhill. Notch loaded with camping gear, swag, 2 people and dog. 17litres. Same but with trailer(about 240kg empty but with top on.) + BBQ and a few extra things (2nd esky etc). 20 litres.
    Home which is uphill overall. 20 litres and 24 with the trailer.
    Advantage is space in the car and not having to unpack everything.
    We're going to be the same with the Kombi on long trips.

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Just back from Old Bar now and unpacked....haven’t refueled yet but will put up consumption today, later.
    As Bert showed, my trailer is a Stockman Pod trailer....and an awesome addition to the kombi.
    Runs 14 inch rims and is the same width as the kombi.....a perfect setup in my opinion. The Pods have a water/dust proof neoprene seal and gas lift struts for the top, so access is really easy.....can also be locked with a couple of padlocks.
    I picked mine up at a camping /caravan show as a demo special and saved several thousand on full ticket. It has a longer draw bar, waterproof led lights, spare mag. underneath, roof bars and aero-racks. The tub is made of recycled plastic and the chassis is hot dipped gal. Payload is rated to 750 kg. As pointed out......the advantage is in the extra capacity to throw in the extras that make a long term trip easier...
    Have yet to see a better built, lightweight trailer on the roads........
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. oldman

OK, just re-fuelled..........39.36 litres for 351 km....Old bar to Northern Beaches Sydney.
    A good mix of motorway cruising,hill climbs and traffic jambs....
    By my calcs., that's returned 11.21 ltrs/100km. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here....)
    I'm happy with those figures, given that I'm driving a loaded Camper, two people and towing a Pod trailer ;)
    As mentioned by Col., I'm running a (rebuilt) stock 2ltr. with stock carbs. etc., that is regularly serviced and in best possible condition, (now 6 years since re-build.....)
    Removed the Sopru rack this time and opted for roof bars, nothing on top.
    Average cruising speed was 95 kph with squirts up to 110 just for the hell of it ! ( Passed a few I-Loads up hills which was fun :D )
    Max oil temp. reached was 90 C by the VDO.
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Mark.
    Seem to recall.your non trailer mileage on same stretch was around the 10 ish ?

14. oldman

Hey Col, yes something like that.......from memory :rolleyes:.
    We plan on heading back up to Old Bar before Chrissy , without the trailer, so I'll keep tabs.
    Cheers,
    Mark

PICT likes this.
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Don’t you just love that vehicle name? o_O

I’d prefer “U-Load”, so then I-Drive........;)

16. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

My fuel useage for Gosford to Old Bar then Old Bar to Heatherbrae was 10.70 litres per 100 klms pretty consistent with prev years.

oldman likes this.
  17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That sort of economy, Mark, with a trailer on is Lower than I would have expected. A testimony to a well built trailer

It would be interesting to see how it went with the surfboards inside rather than sitting out in the breeze. I imaging the turbulence behind the Kombi with a pop top would be quiet significant.

18. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My experience with a trailer has been great. Before the Kimberley trip in 2006 I decided to tow a trailer rather than unpack and pack for every one night stop on a trip such as that. I installed a fridge in one side of the tradies trailer and dirty camping gear in the other. This thread gives you an idea:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/camping-tips.14626/page-2#post-292299

and some of the Kimberley trip:

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/kimberley-trip.1061/

My experience was slightly higher fuel consumption and slower going up hills but made life very easy on the road. The bed could be left made up. Before the trailer we had our camping gear on the floor of the camper with portable toilet etc. This had to be packed out each time we camped. BTW I towed that trailer for about 300,000km with only a couple of issues. One was a bearing and the other burnt out wiring that I fitted to charge the fridge battery. A relay shorted and managed to cook some wiring. The vehicle used to tow it was the '82 and then later the '89 Syncro.

Ian

19. autron

autron Member

we tow a big boot single wheel 20170304_170939.jpg

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Read some info on drag recently.
    ( nothing associated with Sydney mardigra.)
    Obviously there are variations between testing regimes

No bay numbers but t3. 4.4 CD
    5.0 with poptop. Typrle not specified.

Another forum with mpg of a van / roof racks. Midern seri shaped deisek van.
    Rounded numbers from memory
    10% reduction with simple aero frame roof rack.
    With push bike added ( assume flat) and tie downs
    23% total reduction.

I have not recorded a 6x4 trailer fuel increase but its noticeable.

Accordingly would expect an efficient trailer such as Mark's represents most economical solution in regards fuel consumption.?