1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn Key Engines

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Dudo, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Dudo

Dudo New Member

Hello

Does any one know who does or how you can get new or re-co turn key 1800/2l engines in aus ???? see them in pommie land and the states in ads but haven't seen any here.

cheers jono

2. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

We were going to bring the Vege engines over but the factory have run short of cases, its delayed things quite a bit
    Avoid Remtec in my opinion and from experience

3. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Aren't they all turnkey once someone's built it? What's the huge advantage over a good bespoke engine?

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Because that's usually an oxymoron.:rolleyes:

5. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

It is usually a lot cheaper to by one off the shelf compared to having a mechanic rebuild yours.
    Last year you could buy a new Mexico 1600 for about $2k, to get the same thing done to your engine would usually cost twice that at a mechanics.

I guess its because the manufacturing companies buy parts in bulk .
    Dave

6. Dingostrategy

Fair enough. Seems to me a good builder can give you exactly what you want, even if at a premium. But what would I know... So can anyone help Dudo?

7. Shifter

Shifter New Member

MMM, that's interesting - if a new engine could be had for about 2 - 3 thou, then it would be in the realms of reason to strip and rebuild it yourself just to make sure it was good. Does anyone have any indiciation of current price?

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

New engines are fine. It's the reconditioned exchange ones are usually (not all) that are bad.

As far as I know the new ones are only 1600s.:(

9. Natwest

Natwest Member

This is exactly what I am looking at. I have been quoted $2500 to have my 1600 completely rebuilt. If any of you know where to buy the new 1600 engines from, please PM me the details.

Cheers - Nathan

10. Dudo

Dudo New Member

Thanks everyone Was just wondering, as i know in the states you can get really good new engines ,just drop your old one and in with the new. I have a few more years left in the old girl by then there should be something around.

cheers jono

11. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

Bought a turn key engine from Volks Mod. They couldn't build it for what they could buy it for. It was shipped from the states in a crate and now will be shipped back to the states in a Kombi. 2275 cc Scat

12. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

For the 2l Stan Pobjoy can build a real solid powerful engine but they aren't cheap.

13. Shifter

Shifter New Member

How much was your 2275 Scat??, from the USA?

14. Dudo

Dudo New Member

Yeah what was the shipping price also ,would like to know for future reference

cheers jono

15. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  16. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

Motor delivered at Volks Mod was 9500 au. They bought it from Mick motors so they had to make a profit also. I can buy the same motor here for 5250. The exchange is 35% right now and I don't have any idea what the shipping cost. I was going to have Stan build an engine but my Kombi came with the upright engine so I opted to go back with same style. It was the first time I was aware that a 74 bay would have had a type one or upright offered. Anybody have any ideas on that.
    Stan never gave me a definate price but I was expecting around the same figure.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  17. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

I looked at those prices and they are really good. Mine has every option on it except the external oil cooler which we are going to do when it is installed. Maybe I should have shopped around a little as the price didn't include installation. As far as parts go Mick Motors stock all parts and I think they also honor warranty work. You would want to confirm that first. I had always planned to bring the Kombi back to the states so I wasn't concerned.

18. Dingostrategy

Didn't someone just argue that turnkey was cost effective compared with bespoke ;)

Still, no doubt that donk's as hot as the sun. How many TIV owners have wished it was easy to drop an upright in. There are some very sweet upright engines. TIVs get a bad rap, but I dig 'em because they are kinda sorta baby Porsches.

19. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Someone with a little more factual knowledge than myself would definitely know the answer to this, but I'm fairly certain that a 1600 was offered as a low-cost/base model option in a few of the variations (i.e., van, window van, SC, DC) up until around '75-'76'ish, wasn't it? I seem to vaguely recall reading this somewhere.

Either that or I've made it up and I'm doing my best to sound convincing in this matter...

20. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

It must have been offered as mine had one. It was really a surprise to me because the bigger motor was a big selling point when I bought my new one in 1974. They called it a version of the Porshe engine as I recall.