1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two seater T3 - very hard to re-register as a 4 seater?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by MikeCormack, Oct 19, 2016.

1. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

Currently my van is plated as two passengers max. I would prefer if it was 4 so I have the option at least. Has anyone made this change before?

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

In NSW you get a blue slip or if the mechanic isn't happy with it you will need an engineer to look at it. You will really have to ask someone in WA as to what the regulations are.

And you will probably require seats and seat belts.:)

3. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

haha I figures seats and belts will be a good place to start. I wonder if the rails/fixtures are underneath my flooring still......

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Varies from state to state.

The worst bit is when you pay for the engineering certificate and modification plate stating the new seating capacity.........and then move, or sell it to another state to register, you have to go through the whole cost and process again.! o_O:mad:

5. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

I hate the state to state variances. I bought my syncro in QLD and had to compliance the Subi engine, the poptop roof, the LPG conversion, the gas bottle for the cooker and the mods like raised suspension etc. So pointless!

Grantus likes this.
  6. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

Does anyone in WA have middle seats for me to buy cheap or borrow?

7. PUCH 1HM

PUCH 1HM Member

My Syncro is plated a 2 seater previous owner had a second row 2 seat fitted and the fitter supplied a ADR form and then he went to Vicroads and had it changed on their computers. When I purchased was concerned when reregistering after road worthy I took the seat form to Vicroads they said all ok as it was on their records as a 4 seater so obviously it must have been a painless operation in the first place asked why it didn't have modification plate and was told they don't issue any more just updated on their computers. I think why it was so easy is the seats and belts use all original fitting points. I carry the paperwork just incase.

8. Grantus

[Start RANT] When are we going to get a NATIONAL roadworthy and modification recognition system across ALL the states?

It would be so much easier for both buyers and sellers in different states! [End RANT] :mad:

syncro, Dapom, hairyman and 1 other person like this.
  9. MikeCormack

MikeCormack Member

Thats the story I was hoping for, thanks Bob. Lets see if WA is the same!

10. Grantus

Friends of mine bought a camper from Victoria with this plate affixed - legal for rego and insurance in Victoria.

[​IMG]

When they went to register it in NSW, that plate is worthless, and they had to get it inspected by an engineer, (licensed in NSW), and pay for the new certification, to get NSW registration.o_O

Neither the buyer, or the seller were aware of the additional hassles and costs, assuming as it had current rego, roadworthy and engineers certification, the transfer would be simple.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  11. Grantus

Oops, my mistake...:oops: The above plate is the one fitted by the NSW engineer, to REPLACE the Vic one....o_O

Just so if you want to register it again in Vic, I guess you have to go through the whole process and expense again.......:confused:

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Too true. I bought a camper that was built in NSW by Camping Industries but registered in ACT. To register it in NSW I had to get it engineered for the fridge, pop top, rear seat/bed etc. The engineer did not put a new plate in the vehicle but I have kept the paper certificates. My son will face the VIC registration when he brings it back on the road at a future date.

Ian

13. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Well-Known Member

I have a blue middle seat from a velle.

14. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

I'm scared now... when I registered my T3 in Qld I just handed over the previous owners registration papers.. with RWC and receipt of purchase.
    They gave me the new plates, I screwed them on and drove away.
    Err.. whataabout the soobi motor, trakka roof, rock'n'roll bed, 5 seat with belts...

15. Grantus

What does the seating capacity on the compliance plate, and the engine capacity on your rego papers say? :rolleyes:

In the event of an accident, insurance companies won't be helpful if they don't match up to what the vehicle actually is........:eek:

16. hdj80

hdj80 Member

I just removed the rear 3 seat belts from our Syncro for rego as it is complianced as a 2 seater. I also have to get it engineered if I want to put the belts back in the back... FYI I removed a 4' lenght of 75x75x6 rhs from under the seat that had the belts bolted to it, about 30kg of weight removed from it. silly bit of over kill as had 4 belt ends connected to it and 4 bolts through the floor pan holing it in place ffs the belts could have bolted straight through the floor in the first place with larger backing plate/s and would have done a similar job without the extra weight of the rhs.... anyway we have no intentions to put the extra belts in so it can stay a 2 seater atm and if later we have a need for the extra we'll fit them back in and get it engineered.

17. teethree

teethree Member

Mike I looked in to this myself here in WA. The belts need to be engineered, unless yours is a Caravelle which ( I think) had the original mounts. Mines a transporter and doesn't. If you want to retain the rego concession for campers, it must sleep 4 i.e. top bunk.

18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Transporters have seat belt mounts. It's only the panel vans that don't.

19. teethree

teethree Member

There you go, my 2wd must be a van then, definitely no mounts

20. Grantus

Most camper conversion company's bought panels instead of window transporters, as a cheaper starting base. ;)

hairyman likes this.