1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

type 4 external oil cooler plumbing? Keep cooler or ditch it?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by deger, Jul 5, 2020.

1. deger

deger Active Member

Hi, Moby is nearing completion and just working on fitting new heat exchangers. When we got Moby, the heater booster was given to us in a box. Bits of aluminium had been siliconed over the tinware holes and over the old heat exchangers. The reason for this was that they had fitted a sandwhich plate to the oil filter return and run the hoses over the passengers side heat exchanger booster inlet (the oval one).

My question: Is. there a way to fit an external cooler to the type 4 motor without having to butcher the tinware and etc? Alternatively, having brought the motor back to stock with everthing working correctly, do I need the external cooler? Would I be better off just ditching it and keeping Moby stock and in good nick?

Darren

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If it is stock it is unlikely you need one.
    That said it is hard to understand what is stock these days and a new head here, a bump in CR there and all of a sudden on a big hill with a heavy load an oil cooler can be a good thing.

I am guessing they butchered the tin as they were trying to get cabin heat out of the cooler?

plenty of set ups where the cooler is under the car out of air flow with a thermostat or manual switch controlled fan or a front mounted on in airflow with a thermostat or manual by pass set up

Wayne murray likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I run an external oil cooler with thermo switched fan. Fan is set to cut in at 90 deg.C The whole setup provides an extra 1.5 litres of oil to the system.
    Fan is located just in front of the sliding step into the back of the bus.
    I tow a trailer regularly...and over long distances , so this was just a precautionary modification.
    Kombi has never run hotter than 95 C and that was on a long uphill haul, fully loaded and towing.
    Normal driving sees temps at 80 regularly......
    I’ve been very happy with the mod. and would do it again.
    CBB did the install.......never had an issue.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. deger

deger Active Member

The biggest issue Barry is that the inlet and outlet for the sandwich plate pass over the oval inlet on the heat exchanger. The only way to make it work is to remove the whole boost system which then requires all of the openings to be sealed up.

5. deger

deger Active Member

G'day Mark, agree that I'm not unhappy about the idea of it BUT how do you guys connect it to the motor? If you have any pics of your setup that would be really helpful. On my type 4 motor, I have two choices only it would appear; keep the oil cooler and ditch the heater booster circuit and block up all of the openings OR ditch the cooler and return the motor to stock setup. Is there a way to keep both with this motor?

6. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I removed the LHS riser pipe, used alloy sheet from drink can to block hole in top of heat exchanger. Heating still works, as does fan forced demist. I decided to leave LHS hose in engine bay and short pipe to clamp it to.

Mordred likes this.
  7. oldman

I still have the heater booster circuit, stock oil cooler AND the additional thermoswitched setup.
    My back is still stuffed, so it’s a bit hard for me to get under the kombi at the moment but will when I can...
    The only thing that has been taken off to make room for the plumbing, is the near side, lower tinware pan....the one directly roadside of the pushrod tubes.....and despite that No. 3 valves rarely need adjusting....and they are checked/done every 5000.
    Cheers,
    Mark

8. deger

deger Active Member

Take care of that back Mark. I would be interested to see where the pick up and return lines run into the motor on yours when you get the chance.

oldman likes this.
  9. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Just use a better oil.. fix the thermostat.. if standard with right carbs and timing run it.

10. deger

deger Active Member

Agree Andrew. As you might recall, we're totally back to standard albeit with increase to just under 2.2l. When you say use a better oil, what are your recommending? I have been using the mineral penrite oil, HPR 30. Hope that's right?
    Darren

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

@deger . Castrol GTX for over 40 yrs. Penrite good but I stick to what I know has worked for 40 yrs:cool:.
    Cheers

12. oldman

Tick, tick, tick.......
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Popcorn ?
    :D

oldman likes this.
  14. deger