1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

type IV carby linkage play

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by deger, Jul 12, 2020.

1. deger

deger Active Member

Just fitting up my throttle linkage crossbar and was wondering how much play is normal on the RH (Driver) side? The LH is quite play free but the RH has movement in the plastic plunger/ball end in the cross tube and also in the linkage top ball housing. With the amount of movement combined, there is no way I'll get them to synchronise.
    I tried to find a replacement plunger but in case it is just worn but no luck . Similarly, the right hand adustable carby linkage isn't showing up anywhere as a replacement part (neither does the left).
    What is 'normal' for the amount of play?

Darren

2. deger

deger Active Member

These are the ball sockets that have worn on my carbie linkages. I can't find any replacements listed anywhere.
    Some have suggested replacing them with HEIM joints. but that would required grinding off the balls on the carbies and drilling holes.
    Is that what others have done?

IMG_1905.jpeg IMG_1906.jpeg

3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

If you can't come up with a new one you could try metal putty in the socket, then before it sets, oil/grease up the ball and insert it...they also make one for plastic Screenshot_20200802-132254.png

Grantus likes this.
  4. deger

deger Active Member

Thanks for the tip. Someone else mentioned it and it seems less drastic than drilling off the balls on all the carbies. Probably needs very little in there as well. Will definitely give it a shot if I can't get replacements.

5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Some of the better Auto Acessory and speed shops have universal linkages with balls, I have used these on a few kombis, if the ball is badly worn grind the old one off and drill the arm to suit the new ball. From memory there are different lengths of rods too.

6. deger

deger Active Member

Thanks Grumble. The issue is that the balls are steel and part of the Carby bodies and would require modification to use the HEIM style joints that are readily available. I was hoping to just get the alloy sockets which are the parts that wear.

7. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I have no idea really about this but maybe try a gas strut shop? They will have varying sized socket ends for struts....there might be one of a suitable size...?

8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Speco make different length of adjustable linkages. Get them on eBay. Very close in size but may be close to the choke covers. Might be something you can work with. Look for Weber linkages.

Adrian

grumble likes this.
  9. deger

deger Active Member

Dapom, the gas strut idea is worth checking into. Thanks.
    Adrian, I visited Speco. All modern carburettor setups use a different kind of system; typically a HEIM joint which does away with the cup and ball joint we're used to (see below)
    . It is possible to switch to these but it would require modifying the brackets on the carbies ie removing the balls. As everything has been beautifully assembled by 1500king, I'm not keen on dismantaling them.

[​IMG]

Dapom likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

If 1500 king assembled why not ask 1500 King,shore he have something that could replace or fix issue for you.

oldman likes this.
  11. Mordred

Second for 1500 king but just covering off, these speco ones are ball and cup fitting Like I was referring to. They ar3 for the older type Weber linkage set ups. I bought some a few months back and the balls are very close in size.

Adrian 2A6CF0D0-C7BC-4480-BA74-FE9D7E2A5995.jpeg

grumble, Dapom and cbus like this.
  12. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

What size is the ball on the carburettor M8 ?
    How long is the rod length between the two ball socket ends?
    Is this length the same on both linkage rods?

Cheers,

Pete

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Darren, you have a message ;)

14. grumble

Deger, this is the link that I was talking about, there are a couple of different suppliers of these, I don't understand what you meant by the rods being part of the carby the arms are held to the shaft by a nut.

15. Mordred

I think he is referring to one side of a standard set which are not adjustable as they are welded/soldered together. If you replace them with an adjustable you want set them at the same distance as the fixed ones are, then set up the other side so they both start taking up load at the same time. All of them pop off with a little pressure applied, but the speco and some others have a spring clip to secure them.

Adrian

Adrian

16. grumble

Adrian my VW days began at a VW dealership back in 1966 and I worked on them until I retired just on 10 years ago but still keep in touch with them, I thought he was talking about the arm being part of the carburettor, over the years I have changed the rods and balls successfully on a lot of these and the type 3 carbs too.

17. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member