1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre question.......aka... Opening Pandora's Box........again!

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by deeksy62, Dec 9, 2016.

1. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

First up I must aplogise to Pandora, her box has been opened on this site more often than wine bottles at The Bus Stop at Easter and Revolks in October, and I'm going to do it again.

Having searched the Kombiclub site and done some browsing on the web, I am now more confused than ever, which is a big statement given I spend my life in various states of confusion.

I have Kelly LT tyres on the kombi, been on for 6 years and travelled around 20,000 km's, but now I'm in Coffs Harbour where it rains a fair bit, these tyres have NO wet weather grip, when accelerating, cornering or stopping, absolutely frightening so they need to go.

a local tyre place recommended Blue Steel.........not going there!

Any thoughts on Hankook Optimo K715 Tyres, 205/70R/14, load rated at 98, (750kg per tyre) There were previously marketed as an XL (Extra Load) tyre by Hankook.

At around $108 fitted, are they worth a punt?
    I know they are speed rated T but I'm prepared to to take the risk of a tyre only rated to 190kmh on the kombi.

Thanks

Steve

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Best estimate is a midrange tyre.
    One that gives some gains in profile and footprint with possible better inline stability/steering due to pattern.
    Compound probably midrange ( just acceptable) going on hankooks comparison with other in its range ( less) that I have feedback on.

Worth a try for the money in my view but lacking objective tests.
    Interested to see results.

Another option but no reliable info but would try.
    Pricy but saves costs of new rims.

www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/brands/goodyear

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Look through some of the tyre threads on KC. It is agreed that Toyos are good value and they are great in the wet. The harder the rubber the worse in the wet. LT and very high load index tyres will be worse.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Toyo...;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Run Toyo and they do the trick. NOT a performance tyre but we are driving light trucks!

6. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

I ....... run Toyo H08's.

You ......... Seriously need to look at why your kombi cannot do 190km/hr and needs tyres rated for this.

deeksy62 likes this.
  7. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Toyo H08s. - 185s

I went from a 195 (forget what the brand was ) to the Toyo and the steering became much lighter and because of the larger rolling diameter, the speedo was suddenly accurate.

Maybe its a sign of age but I`m with Alpal, its a light truck and when it rains drive to the conditions - even slow down (there`s a thought), and here`s another - leave more space for braking etc etc etc and the rear end breaks away when accelerating in the wet - give me a break - its a KOMBI.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Or run decent tyres and not have to drive like a granny ;)

Poptop and syncro like this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

When I buy tyres, price has nothing to do with my decision. I do not drive the Kombis fast but I want the best and safest tyre that I can get. A slide in the wet at 50kmh can cause a lot of damage.

The Doka came with brand new Durun tyres when I bought it. The first drive in the wet, I took off from a stop sign and had so much wheelspin that I thought that I had a flat. How safe would they be braking?

Remember these cars do not have ABS or any other safety acronym.

Grantus likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I paid too much for a set of specially ordered Michelin Agilis 91's, coz that's what the Michelin website tyre selector recommended for a T3....:(

Same experience at Durun tyres it appears..:eek:

Forced to get rid of them, as the vehicle was simply unsafe in even damp conditions, let only wet. Replaced them with Toyo's.

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

LT / hard compound / low speed (performance) rating.

12. Grantus

Hard? The tread face of the Agilis' felt like tough plastic instead of rubber! I'm sure you could get 100,000 plus kms from a set, if you only drove on dry roads! ;)

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

LT = Lousy Traction

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I'm gunna have to say Toyo. Fitted to our T3 Then Cookie the bay window, then the Golf. Now fitted same to the toybus.

15. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Gotta disagree with that Phill...I've been running Toyo HO8 LT's and their grip in the wet is superb ! Not that I'm fangin' around corners.....but they've never left me feeling uneasy. Can't recommend them highly enough. Unless you've used them, I wouldn't be rubbishing them.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

But they would handle better if they were not LT.

17. Grantus

Took the SC out today for the first time in the rain in over 3 years. (Usually treat it like a pushbike, and only venture out on fine days.)

Not proud, but it has a pair of BobJane Allrounders that came fitted to the Borbet wheels, on the rear, which although old, (DOT tells me they were made in the 15th week of 2010 in Indonesia), are only half worn, so left them on to get some free mileage before I replace them with some decent rubber.

"AllRounder" is probably a good description, if you consider they go all round the road, if the road is not dry, everywhere except straight, and if I let it, the vehicle would go "Allround" and face the other direction! :eek:

Def NOT a tyre choice I would recommend for damp or wet conditions! :(

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    oldman likes this.
  18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Not surprised.
    A baggy sidewalled POS.
    Remember the sales pitch when they designed the first ones.
    Tested all common family type tyres ,
    Then made something that incorporated the worst of each.

19. Grantus

It's also stamped on the sidewall - "Made for Australian conditions".

Assume that Australia is in constant drought perhaps? :rolleyes:

Still managed to get wheel spin changing up to 4th at 70kph! Pretty impressive with a stock used donk....:D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  20. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

To the OP, I run Hankooks on my T3 and am very happy with them. They grip well and last longer than a lot of more expensive brands....