1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres 1976 Kombi Camper

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Snow, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Snow

Snow New Member

Hello, can any one recommend a good brand of tyre for my kombi. I currently have the 185r14. Looking for something that is long wearing, and good in wet conditions. I only drive my kombi three times a month. many thanks :) Deb

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I would stick with a Dunlop, Goodyear or Bridgestone.
    Any of those you should be able to get a quality tyre that meets your requirements.
    If you only drive it 3 times a month I wouldn't worry too much about mileage. Doubt you will wear them out.
    Stay away from unknown brands.

Make sure you have a good wheel alignment first.
    No point wasting money on good tyres if they get scrubbed out in 6 months

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Michealin Agilius

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Only if they’ve improved in the last 10 years.......they were an absolute shocker in damp conditions, and downright deadly with next to zero grip in the wet. :eek: (I had to remove them from my bus for safety!)

Mind you, the compound was so hard, I reckon I would have got a 100,000 kms out of them, if I only drove in dry conditions.

rstucke likes this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Snow & welcome.
    Used to have Bridgestones for 30 years. Recently went to Hankook 195s (now 2nd set) & they're as close to the old Bridgestones & I'm real happy with them:D.
    Just be sure that what you put on can take the pressure recommended in the rear (40 to 44psi).
    The Hankooks can.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Snow likes this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Light truck unless you are a boy racer. Toyo work for me.

Snow and oldman like this.
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Should be able to get some Bridgestone R623 185R14C tyres for around $100 each

8. prone

prone Well-Known Member

I second going for a set of Toyo’s

Snow and oldman like this.
  9. Grantus

I too have had excellent results with Toyo’s.

Snow, oldman and Jethro like this.
  10. Snow

Snow New Member

Ok many thanks for all of your replies, I am going to give Toyo a go. I wish everyone safe travels

oldman and Jethro like this.
  11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Another for Toyo here....;)
    I run Toyo LT R08’s....185x14.......stock size.
    Excellent grip in wet, very little side wall roll and fantastic mileage
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Snow likes this.
  12. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Thats a yes to Toyo's. Run them on the Subaru diesel Outback and EJ 25 Liberty. Just absolutely fabulous. Have only this week fitted some 215-70-15 Toyo A/T's to my T3. So far they are just brilliant, quiet, direct and comfortable on the black top and dirt. Still to get down and dirty to see how they go.

Snow likes this.
  13. rstucke

Not sure what happened there but these suckers on my for never finished kombi stick like shit to a blanket.
    We had a lot of rain yesterday and after reading what you've experienced I gave it some stick on the way home, no sliding, slipping or surprises.
    I bought them because of there strengthened side walls (reduces distortion) and their light truck rating and max pressure specs.
    I kept them to 205 65 15 as they had the same circumference as std
    Toyo were my next pic
    Am open to suggestion, comment and innuendo.

David H likes this.
  14. Grantus

I was over being sold what the tyre people wanted to sell me, so I got onto the Michelin website, and matched their suggestion to my T3 vehicle.

It came up with the Agilis 91 range, so I went to the tyre place to get some. None in stock, so they were ordered in.

The day they were new, leaving the tyre place, with the road only damp, I pulled away from a stop sign, and lost traction - ease off, then ease off more, and still no traction. They felt like slicks! :eek:

Approaching traffic from the side, that were a long way down the road, where now upon me, braking and cursing..... :(

Entering roundabouts in the damp was equally interesting. Total understeer, really hoping the slower I went I’d find some traction, and when that finally happened, it was then a matter of trying to gather up the back end, and stop it overtaking me.....

As I said, it was around 10 years ago, and I had to get them replaced.....

15. rstucke

mine are Iglius X and had to order them. Apparently the aus distributer is hard to deal with.
    Were recommended by a guy in my complex that has a transport business (paper trucks). Recons they're the ducks guts on his transit vans.
    So far I've been pretty happy with them. But I really don't have anything to gauge them by as I haven't driven a kombi in this millennia on anything else.