1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres for my '82 Microbus.

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bilckster, May 21, 2010.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

Hey Guys,

Hopefully a quick and easy one. I need some new rear tyres and was recommended some a while back but have totally forgotten the brand I was recommended. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

If you want standard then go for the Toyo H08 185/14.

If you want a passenger tyre construction go for the 215/65/14.

Both tyres have the sufficient load rating.

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Jon are the Toyo HO8 185/14 light truck or

4. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Jon are these tyres light truck or what are they.:)

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Wow, it worked twice after 2 error pages again.:wtf:

6. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Brian I think the Toyo HO8 are LT, I've got them on OSI The Kamper on the recommendation of Mr. Ward.
    Very happy with them.:)

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Thank you Don, i need to get them on Max in the next couple of days. Those rally tyres and rims i bought 6 months ago are crap. I have to pump the bloody tyres up every week. They drop 8 lbs a week.:mad:

I forgot to mention, these tyres were last made 25 years ago.

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I use Maxxis mud and snow tyres on both my kombis. I have found they are very good both on the highway and on dirt. They would be a little more noisy than the average passenger tyre but that is a small price to pay.

Ian

9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

At the risk of having done the wrong thing... I run Michellin XM1 205/70R14s on my T3 standard wheels. Load index is 98... Ticks the spec boxes. They are a very comfortable tyre, no issues in the wet but relatively expensive.

10. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Getting HO8 185/14 Toyo tryes fitted later today. [​IMG]

11. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Good work Brian.

You won't disappointed!

12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Very happy with the tyres Jon, just got home after having fitted. Notice the differnce.
    Have another problem thou. it seems speedo has a problem, didnt work on way home, im thinking when jack was rolled under may have knocked or busted something, will have to wait till daylight to check.

13. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Check the left front wheel hub and see if the horseshoe clip has come undone, the speedo cable may be flapping around inside the hub.

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I happily will expound to anyone who will listen, about how excellent the Toyo Teos are, (another Jon Ward recomendation), so I'm sure the whole Toyo range is equally as good. :)

15. Grantus

What Jon said ^^^.

Other quick check is the back of the speedo, where it clips on. Remove dash cover the housing, and make sure it's firmly engaged into the speedo.

My T3 Ute has disconnected itself twice there, as it's a very flexible and a slightly dodgy solution for the actual connection....:rolleyes:

16. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Thanks Grant, i was gunna pull the dash thing out tomorrow as i did it this morning as well. Only one side of dash lights was working, so i pulled it off pushed some thing and all work. The speedo was working on the way to get the new tyres but noted it not working on way home.
    Will check it all tomorrow, have to fix it, dont want to drive all the way to perth and back without speedo. If i have to then so be it, i can go via rev counter. Just wont be able to do a fuel check and cost etc.

17. Grantus

Before you go under the bus, just unclip the cable from the back of the speedo, and drive around the block. As you drive, push your finger into the cable clip, and see if you feel it spinning.

If you can, it's still all connected down below, and is just the top end connection to the speedo that needs fiddling with...;)

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Will do mate.:)

19. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Well i finally got speedo working again, well sort of. After pulling of wheel and looking in and out and pull out spare from under front and finding all still together at the grease cap. I went for a drive and now the needle is jumping up and down and dont work properly, but it will do so i can check fuel for the trip to perth. Will get new one when get home.
    Im thinking that the cable may have been squashed a bit, where it sits up around spare wheel area, i think it may have got pinched when the front was jacked up for the new tyres. Thats the only thing i can work out why it started working again after remving the spare etc. I have put 38 all round in tyres, hope this is correct.