1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tyres versus tyres

Discussion in 'Performance' started by chris taylor, Jun 4, 2014.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Just thought I would start a new thread on tyres which are in my limited knowledge of such things would be suitable and safe to put on a van turned into a camper. Now I own a 1976 kombi camper with all the trimmings , which I also use as a daily driver as well as a holiday vehicle, I have , like a lot of other people, never really given a lot of thought to what would be a safe and reliable tyre to use on such a van of this particular weight, any brand will do so long as they are new and not to expensive. Wrong , car tyres on a van just don't work , especially if it is a camper van with the extra weight, I am speaking from experience, two tyres had it ,size being 195 14s 3ply tread 1ply sidewall and the tyres were destroying themselves internally due to the weight . Have now switched over to light truck tyres 185R14C 5ply tread 2Ply side wall, better steering, better cornering[not as much roll] and easier steering. looked at both Bridgestone and Toyo which were the two that were recommended and chose Toyo simply because they were available at the time where Bridgestone were not. Prices were the same for both brands at $115 PT but got them down to $105 fitted and balanced. regards Chris

2. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

colin cbus is goot with tyres.....iam more as look as its not flat, is round and made of rubber then it must be ok.

i did change all my tyres for my trip to Perth and did notice a big differance but why......who knows lol

3. vwfreak03

colin cbus is good with tyres.....iam more as look as its not flat, is round and made of rubber then it must be ok.

i did change all my tyres for my trip to Perth and did notice a big differance but why......who knows lol

4. sacky

sacky Member

I believe Hankook RA 08 light truck tyre are the correct size and load for a kombi, will try them next time.
    Martin what tyre did you put on for the trip.

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Chris mate, do your self a favour and buy Toyo Ho8. thats the ones i put on Cookie and he loves em.

6. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

It is about the load rating.
    You don't need to go to light truck tyres to get the load rating and one of my favourites is the Michelin Energy XM1+
    I have had these tyres on the Dormobile for 4 years now. It handles well fully loaded with 2 adults, 2 teenagers and full to the roof with gear.
    We have travelled from Queensland to Tassie and many other trips. I currently drive it every day as my mobile site office. (about 40,000km on these tyres now)
    The benefit with a non light truck tyre is that the ride is nice. I have had light truck tyres and the ride is harsh.
    The installation of sway bars is what will improve your handling much more.
    Pic below to show the load rating
    [​IMG]
    Look for a 95 load rating tyre (690kg per tyre)

Oly likes this.
  7. chris taylor

Hey Brian N Kathy, how you doing, you must be a clairvoyant or something mate cause that's exactly what I bought, got them from tyre power , highly recommended by the bloke at Pedders. Now knowing that you say they are good makes me feel a whole lot better, thanks. Also look forward to catching up with you sometime :coo
    Tyres fitted are Toyo 185R14C H08

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  8. chris taylor

Hi Vassy69sc, thanks for your comments , I have heard before that Michelin are a very good tyre but my main concern at the time was to stop the flat spots occurring and with the more solid sidewalls , stop the roll when cornering. You did not mention what the ply ratings were on your Michelins, would be interested to here. regards Chris

9. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Hi Chris
    I have had light truck tyres on a kombi and it did solve the body roll but at the expense of the ride becoming harsh and unpleasant.
    I am just trying to bring to light the fact that a FAR better solution is to fit anti-roll bars (sway bars) and use a tyre with a more compliant sidewall.
    The Dormobile can comfortably be thrown through corners fully loaded and has worn the tyres very evenly with the sway bars and the michelins above.

10. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Hi Chris
    I have had light truck tyres on a kombi and it did solve the body roll but at the expense of the ride becoming harsh and unpleasant.
    I am just trying to bring to light the fact that a FAR better solution is to fit anti-roll bars (sway bars) and use a tyre with a more compliant sidewall.
    The Dormobile can comfortably be thrown through corners fully loaded and has worn the tyres very evenly with the sway bars and the michelins above.

11. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I had XM1s (pre XM1+) on my Caravelle. Load rating was 98 (750kg)

5 ply tread (2 polyester, 2 steel and 1 polyamide). Side walls were 2 ply polyester.

Alas the current iteration is the XM2 which does not come in a suitable load rating, based on their website, for a 14" wheel. Not much choice around these days for 14" wheels.

12. sacky

sacky Member

Im now tossing up between Bridgestone R 623 Dunlop SP175E Toyo H08 and the Hankook RA 08. Beaurepairs have the Dunlops on special buy 3 get one free comes to $330 and a silica tyre what ever that means, that's the best price going around for a 14 inch light commercial. All the others are around $105/110 mark each, think I would be crazy not to go for the Dunlops at that price.

13. vwfreak03

Has made a world of difference even my speedo reading is right now lol

14. sacky

sacky Member

Im sticking with 185s the tyres on it at the moment are not commercial and are the wrong load for a kombi, If I crash and burn im not covered.

15. chris taylor

I know that they say the tyre pressures should be 40 all round but that's a bit harsh on the front, so I have reduced the front down to 35psi which gives a better ride without compromising the stability when cornering but still helping to reduce wandering, no doubt I will be experiment with pressures for a while until I find a happy medium ...................Cheers Chris

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

LT tyres are stiffer than pasenger and also less grip than good passenger alternatives. The size of your footprint and the tyres ability to conform with the road will make a difference in grip in all conditions.
    You also have stock sizing which I consider minimal re width [but is ok due to being a better quality tyre]
    Even configured as a loaded camper you probably do not approach anything like a full load for which the tyres and pressures are rated.

your original VW pressures will be around 30 F and 38-42 R depending on load.

I would suggest 30-34 range F. 36-40R.
    my pick with your tyres and being camper 30-32F 38R would suit most conditions.

the rear pressures are what will reduce roll as the van jacks from the rear under cornering or truck wind gusts.
    tyres should not be expected to do the job of shocks.

tyre pressures will not affect wandering in most cases.
    worn steering components, mismatched tyre construction, wheel alignment, sloppy shocks are the biggest factors

cheers
    col

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  17. chris taylor

tyres

G/day all, just an update on the new tyres fitted to the van, will never ever go back to conventional tyres after driving on LTs. Took the bus out on Monday for a long cruise down through Victor Harbour to Cape Jervois and back to home, what a joy to drive, although the ride was a bit more ridged , was not uncomfortable, it steered extremely well with out any noticeable wandering and when starting off from the curb the steering was certainly a lot lighter and easier to use. Although I have not done a conclusive fuel check it appears to have used less than I would have thought considering there were 3 adults in the van. Brian n Cathy thanks for the tip regards Toyo Tyres, am very happy with the outcome so far...........Regards Chris:D

18. chris taylor

Morning Cbus, read your post with great interest and will experiment with tyre pressures , am currently running 35 frt, 40 rr, will try the lower pressures to see how it all goes and will get back to you......Regards Chris

19. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

When i had new tyres fitted to Cookie, Steve at the tyre place was gunna put 36 all round. I asked him for 38 front and 40 rear. Am happy with the way it goes.

20. chris taylor

It is absolutely amazing the difference these tyres have made to the overall handling of the van. Looking forward to taking off again soon.Chris