1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under Seat Drawers

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by iano6666, Apr 17, 2015.

1. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

We often camp in 74 Kombi & find the lifting of the back seat to access the cooking gear etc a pain.
    I'm looking at the possibility of having drawers to access this stuff - (while the bed is down).
    Any suggestions/pics that would give me a few 'how to' ideas? Especially getting round the rocker bed brackets & the wheel arch restrictions
    Ta Ian

2. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Ian
    My fitout has the front of bed base hinge down. However it is still limited by having to have no junk on the floor. So I'm thinking plastic boxes - at the right size - would be an easy way to do it.

Leo

3. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Been down this road. Our '82 camper had a cupboard under the bed that had a drop down door. I stored things in it that I didn't need very often. Before the Kimberley trip I started to tow a 6X4 trailer as I figured that the kombi was a commercial vehicle. I moved all gear such as tentage, cooking, toilet, fishing, chairs etc to the trailer. This meant there was no gear on the floor that needed to be removed each night before you camp. As it was a tradies trailer that I decided on, it meant that we could get at the gear easily. These days I have even moved the fridge and second battery to the trailer and works well. We erect an OzTent against the side of the trailer to give a sheltered area for cooking and use the tent as a change room / toilet tent. It works well. We also put an annex on the side of the kombi.

[​IMG]

This works very well and takes about 15 minutes to set up. Note the van these days is an '89 Syncro which we still use as a tin tent.

All in all we towed the trailer about 150,000 km with the '82 and a further 30,000 km with the Syncro. We have not had any issues with either vehicle towing the trailer but have kept an eye on the weight. A previous post shows what it looks like though the trailer is now blue.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/kombi-dads-t3-and-trailer.39980/

Ian

4. Dub66

Dub66 New Member

I have a similar set-up to weekender. Originally I had sliding panels to access the under bed area but this only gave me access to half the space at a time. I made a drop down door which gave me full access to the space.

Attached Files: