1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT!!! 240v advice needed

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by emby, Oct 7, 2012.

1. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

No longer a requirement to have a sticker or label, that went out in the 80's or 90's, the last states being SA and Vic to drop them.
    The wiring rules are the same across Australia and NZ, with the exception that NZ has periodic inspections required.
    The installing electrician should give the owner a document saying what was installed and tested, including the installers business name, licence and contact details.

I did assume that your dad was in Qld when I looked at your location. :eek:
    Neil

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That wiring setup would trip a household RCD as well...

Did the sparky even plug the bus into a household power source (with an RCD) to see the result? :wtf:

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What's Shannons have to do with it?

This is a legal compliance thing. Just like smoke detectors.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

The way I see it...plenty. If it's an insurance requirement, folks will have 'em inspected & complianced for fear of not having a claim paid out.
    Neil has indicated that it is no longer a legal requirement......who's correct here?

BCA states that smoke indicators are mandatory & THAT is legally binding as the BCA is a legal document.
    Heresay about compliance is not.

I'd like to see the legals on this issue to clarify.
    Cheers, Mark

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What's a BCA?

Who said that it's an insurance requirement?

Neil has indicated that it is no longer a legal requirement for an electrical compliance sticker.

It is a legal requirement for compliance for smoke detectors, gas documentation and electrical documentation. I have heard of owners being refused in caravan parks for no electrical compliance sticker and for no gas compliance plate.

6. oldman

Ok, I've just downloaded the Standard that covers this.......I'll flick through & check - it'll be later as i'm back on class in 5......
    Cheers,
    mark

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Good work Mark, that 'll sort the bs out.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've also known people refused as their extension leads didn't have a 15A plug on them.

9. emby

emby Active Member

It seems that this subject (the legalities of 240v) has been discussed at length on a few RV and caravan forums.

The main issue I seem to have found is that, yes, there are wiring requirements but, as yet, no registration / certification requirements. There is the AS 3000 / 3001, but apparently legislation enforcing the requirements as it fits RV's / motorhomes, etc. is not uniform across the States. Seems like a very big hole in the legislation if you ask me.

It's actually got me a bit worried as I only use a power lead and power board, as you are allowed to do, as long as you use an RCD. The only issue I've found with this is the fact that I use a 10amp lead and have done on several camp sites without issue. May have to investigate putting a 15amp inlet on my bus and a hardwired RCD.

10. emby

emby Active Member

Copy of AS 3001 sent.

Happy reading

Matt

11. emby

emby Active Member

Ooops. Sent you the sample version by mistake.

Just getting the full version

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Can a user friendly summary be provided?

13. oldman

Hey folks - sorry about the delay....weddings & funerals to attend. I've flicked through both 3000 & 3001 & before I make comment, it should be recognised that no Australian Standard is legally binding UNLESS it is referenced within a Contract or another legal document. That means that any assumptions made by referring to either Standard are moot UNLESS there is an associated legal document/contract that ties them together.
    Damn, back on class now.....more later tonight.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  14. oldman

Hey Phill, e-mail sent. Cheers,Mark

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that it is covered by the local supply authority. (A bit like building regulations differ between councils)

16. oldman

I hear you Phill, but that would mean that every caravan park SHOULD have their Elec. supply authority compliance requirements clearly posted at the entrance to the park.......I've never seen that.
    The general public cannot be expected to know this type of info. & must be provided with the info. if compliance is mandated. Authorities cannot "assume" that Kombi owners are aware of their requirements....just look through the dialogue here...

Building compliance is very simple.....one Building Code that covers domestic construction Australia-wide ( BCA Volume 2 ) & has State & Territory variations very clearly stated in the relevant sections.
    The BCA is re-published every year, so compliance is simple & obligation to comply has been in place since the early 2000's....( It's a legal obligation to have compliance with the BCA inserted into every building contract since then......THAT's what makes the referenced AS's within the BCA legally binding.......)
    There are minor Local Authority ( Council ) governed decisions permitted such as the width of stairs for example, but for the most part compliance is based on a Performance Based BCA.

( Sorry if I'm bangin' on about the BCA - it's one of the subjects I lecture & I don't want folks to assume that just 'cause there's an Australian Standard, it must be complied with....)

Unfortunately the only clarity will come when there is a serious accident - electrocution - and a ruling made......
    Lots of words but worth talking about I reckon. Cheers, Mark

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Smoke detectors? Gas compliance?????

They are mandatory.

18. oldman

Are you referring to houses or kombis.....? :umm:

If you're talking about houses, ( & at the risk of sounding like a scratched record....), they are only mandatory because they are a legal requirement of the BCA, the compliance details of which are referenced back to the appropriate Australian Standard.

If you're talking about kombis........that's a whole different can of worms.
    Cheers, Mark

19. oldman

.....and THAT is the issue here.....
    Cheers, Mark

20. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Mark,
    Compliance with the wiring rules is required by legislation, This is an extract from Qld.
    66 Licensed electrical worker to comply with wiring rules.​
    "A licensed electrical worker who performs electrical work on an electrical installation must ensure that the electrical installation, to the extent it is affected by the electrical work, is in accordance with the wiring rules".
    http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/E/ElectricalSR02.pdf
    All the other states have similar, either hiding in electrical safety or electricity regulations, NSW is managed under Office of Fair Trade.

The 'Wiring Rules', is the other name for AS/NZS 3000, of the current edition or that applicable to the date of installation. AS/NZS 3001, is listed in Appendix A as a normative standard, therefore it is enforceable.
    Neil ​