1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT ! help with strengthened 2L gears

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Justin, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Justin

Justin Active Member

hi all , im gonna cut a long story short here ,

i run a 3.8 V6 in my bus , with standard 2L gearbox , it blew up on me a few months ago and cost me and arm and a leg to fix , and today the same thing has happened :cry: . . .

i need my car back urgently (it is currently at the mechanics AGAIN - plus its my daily drive) , and my mechanic says he does not want to keep dicking around with this issue because it will more than likely do it again in the future . . .

i have heard of the dudes who race the buggies with the strengthened gears etc , is that the joint down in south australia that does that ?

can anybody please steer me in the right direction , i dont give a shit how much it costs , i just want a bloody reliable car !

please help ! :cry:

2. Justin

Justin Active Member

are they called "albins" gears ?

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Justin, whereabouts in Antarctica are you.....?
    Mike Kirsten - CBBVW - re-builds high performance gearboxes at Penrith, outer Sydney. Any good to you ?? Cheers, Mark

4. Justin

Justin Active Member

i live in the icy cold part . . .

does he rebuild the whole gearbox or can i buy the gearset off him and have my mechanic (perry penfold) install them ?

at this point i couldnt care less if someone had them in port hedland , i just need them and i need them quite urgently !

thanks mark :)

5. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I think you're better bringing it to mike because he will modify the ratios to suit the v6 torque. Talk to gazman or max auto they has a v6 and albins gears in a 2L box

6. oldman

Give mike a call - the man's a genius & has all in house facilities to engineer anything.
    http://cbbvw.com/home
    Cheers, Mark

7. Justin

Justin Active Member

thanks heaps ! , i will be giving him a call first thing in the morning !

im just checking out the webpage now :)

i might just have my mechanic take it out , and personally take it down to this mike dude so he can work his magic on it .

8. oldman

hey Jus. PM sent

9. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

I would have to say that Dave Butler builds the best VW gearboxes in Oz.
    He is a wizard. Get him to do one of his gearboxes and you will never go anywhere else.
    Phone him in business hours: 07 55934806
    Best money spent. Tell him Marcus said to call. I have had him build 3 gearboxes for me (different cars: 2 kombis/1 beetle)
    BTW. His 2l kombi box takes his beetle down the 1/4 mile in 10.7 sec with 270hp at the wheels behind it.

10. 77dual

77dual Member

There is a guy who modifies subaru 5 speeds to fit kombis running the standard engine, maybe he could do something for you. I'm not sure if he modifies the boxes to suit other engines in vw's.

www.subarugears.com

11. Subaru gears gearbox will cost you roughly $5k plus. you also need to get suby starter and a few other associated bits to make it work. At this stage he is doing boxes to go with air cooled Vw engines.

Dangerous Dave Butler builds strong boxes trust me on that one. He has done many boxes to go behind V6 commodore motors and he'll know what ratios you need to run as well. He deals with albins all the time.

12. max auto

max auto Member

13. ian.mezz

ian.mezz New Member

what sort of clutch are you running , i have a 200hp Subaru in my bug stock 41 year old gear box and its been good. you normally don't use a over heavy duty clutch so it works like a fuse , if something is going to let go clutches are cheaper then gear box rebuilds.;)