1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vac Advance on Dizzy

Discussion in 'Performance' started by ernst, Jan 17, 2014.

1. ernst

ernst New Member

Can someone enlighten me why my 76 Bus /Camper does not have a vac advance on 009 Bosch Dizzy? is this normal? I have one vac line going from Idle pipe under air filter to air intake on right side and other pipe from intake to vac operated flap on intake to bypass flap on intake? Is this right,
    Cheers

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

009 dissy doesnt have vac advance , only mechanical . original vw dissy would have included vac

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The opinion I have formed through much reading is the 009 should never be fitted on a bus. The originals had the vac advance dizzy to advance the engine under load not just engine speed. If you have a 2l try to find an original SVDA dizzy in good nick.

Adrian

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

pretty sure there would be no vac advance under full throttle load.

light throttle openings and particularly higher revs with light throttle. conditions of high manifold vac

probably some as throttle opened due to existing vac . best to depress throttle steadily rather than floor it to maintain air velocity.
    high vac [and advance ] at higher [hwy] revs and light load to gain as much as poss from combustion [safely]with additional advance under safe conditions. engine should run cooler and better economy due to the idealised advance

this applies to stock or near stock engines at least.

certainly smoother to drive around town

too much advance at low/mid/WOT would induce preignition.

5. southozjimbob

southozjimbob Member

there's a port on the carb which supplies vac to the dizzy when the throttle is opened to bring on advance depending on load. without it ie: a mech advance dizzy it only depends engine speed to advance the timing. im with Mordred on this one. my girlfriend 2L had a pertronix mech advance in it and it seemed sluggish on first acceleration and had a tendency to ping on light throttle goin up hills compare to mine with a vac advance. spoke to german george when i was in newcastle and they said they are ok but you have to set the base timing higher cos the dont have as much total advance of the original svda
    the myth of the 009 gives you more profomance is exactly that...a myth.

6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

009's are a disgrace. We call them "Engine Killers" as they overheat and destroy engines through detonation. They are never OK, unless you have deep pockets for the repairs.

7. seadog

seadog New Member

I found the worked fine on good breathing beetle motors with suitable cams and light flywheels, that reved quickly. But not in a Kombi.

8. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Nope, not even in performance Type 1 motors... Detonation central.... deeper pockets!!! Too much advance too soon.

The Bosch 010 is a perfect old distributor for those.