1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valla 2014

Discussion in 'NSW' started by 77/kombi/surfer, Aug 5, 2014.

1. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    thought id start a thread of the Valla vw spectacular 2014.
    We arrived on the monday and the camping grounds were fairly empty.
    Heres our camp site right on the lake on day one.
    [​IMG]
    My mate Pat who,s splitty panel is in the campsite photo bought his 67 p.m.g. panelvan when he was 19.
    It has never been out of its original rego and he,s never really been aware of these vw events until we manage to get him to come along for the last Valla event in 2012.
    He was having a family get together out near dubbo and drove from there to get to Valla event on friday late at night.
    On the saturday morning he came along for his first vw cruise with all the other vw,s.
    Later that night he had to go back to the central coast to start back at work.
    So this year he made sure he had the whole week to check out everything.
    On the tuesday we had a cruise from Valla up to Bellingen to dorrigo.
    We cruised up to Bellingen for a light lunch.There was around 30 odd cars that came along.
    I didnt get any pics of that stop as i raced off to look around the town and get some breakie with my other vw friends.
    What a great little town it is,worthy of stopping in for a few days if your ever around this area.
    Hopefully some one has a few pics to put up for this stop.
    Next stop was Dorrigo.
    Cruising through the country side with a variety of vws in tow for 19 odd klms till you got to the bottom of this rather large looking mountain to reach Dorrigo.
    Its around 1700 meters above sea level and tested out peoples engines and brakes on the way back down.
    Most were in 2nd/3rd gear all the way with the odd stop to look at sort of low flowing water falls.
    Theres a few lanes which went into one lane with huge drop offs to the side.
    kind of scary but cool all the same.
    The highlight for me of this uphill battle was seeing Andrew Dodd in his beautiful original 50,s Barndoor splitty slugging his way up this mountain.
    What a ledgend to even attempt to drive this hill in such a classic car!!!!
    we reached town to stop for lunch at the Dorrigo hotel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. 77/kombi/surfer

More pics of dorrigo
    [​IMG]

one more pic

[​IMG]

3. 77/kombi/surfer

The it was off to the train grave yard as we called it for a photo shoot.
    Driving into the old cow paddock to line up for pics.

[​IMG]

Luke pell one of the main organisers of the event talking to this old guy who,s fixing up these trains and is planning a museam for them all one day.
    [​IMG]
    Every one taking pictures from afar and talking about how cool this is..
    [​IMG]

4. 77/kombi/surfer

heres the final shoot...
    [​IMG]

one more

[​IMG]

5. 77/kombi/surfer

[​IMG]

a few more

[​IMG]

6. 77/kombi/surfer

[​IMG]

more

[​IMG]

After the photo shoot the oldman who,s in the pic with luke Pell walked us over the hill to were a house was and we came across this huge dug out area with all sorts of trains and even a tank.
    We were given a guided tour around and he talked about the trains and his dream of one day the museum being finished off and giving train rides.
    When we got to the base you could appreciate the scale of his project ahead.He even had a brumby horse that got a little over excited when a few girls went to pat him!
    The,ve spent $6million so far and need another 30 more to get it finished off he said.
    We were all looking at the relics thinking,Ive been working on my kombi for years and its still not finished!
    There way to many years of work there to get this place up and running ,but i could understand his passion for australian railways history in his talks,so he was just like one of us but into a different type of vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. 77/kombi/surfer

Wednesday,
    no vw cruise events this day.
    A few went on the nambucca river cruise.
    The rest of us just walked around to see who had turned up and to check out the other cars..
    Love dinno,s pizzas 71 lowie ute...
    [​IMG]
    more..
    70 panelvan..
    [​IMG]

8. 77/kombi/surfer

[​IMG]
    L plater driving a lowie?what a cool first car to drive to get your lisence on....

[​IMG]
    I didnt have my camera with me but we sat in the afternoon watching guys trying to balance buggys on a ballance plateform.Burnt a few clutches out id say and no one got to balance there car but there was a few close calls.
    the pre Barney line up was forming with around 10 or so to drool over.
    Off to the pub for a bargain $7.50 steak,chips and salad for tea, followed by sitting around the fire down by the water talking vw,s.

9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that railway museum has been in the works for decades with nothing happening. I wish him luck. Hopefully it will open one day.

However... Great site for the photos, especially that long lineup in front of the locomotive fleet.

10. 77/kombi/surfer

Thursday we cruised off to check out the Raleigh race way vw racing.
    Its a pretty crazy track built into the side of the mountain.
    lots of punters up on the hill overlooking the venue.
    after a few cars came out and did there thing a cow,Bull? ran out onto the track and stopped the action.
    the guy had his hand full trying to chase the thing off into another paddock,finally got it out through a gate into the viewers area on the hill.Only in australia!!!!
    No picks of this unfortunatley...
    Other vw,s owners went on the cruise and hisorical walk and tour and talk and lunch at Bowraville..
    A planned dinner that night was down in numbucca at the Golden sand hotel.

11. 77/kombi/surfer

Friday was the cruise off to the Big Banana at coffs habour for morning tea.
    As we or rather i was gasbagging to other vw owners i missed the line up and cought the last few cars leaving.
    Little did i no that they were going on a site seeing tour of there own around the coffs shire.

[​IMG]

First detour was to go to some golf course near by.
    You should of seen the looks on all the b.m.w drivers faces when they saw a bunch of old vw,s driving into there private looking upmarket golf club!!
    Luckily we could all drive out with out stopping and decided to turn right.
    100 meters down the road the leader did a U turn so we all followed as we didn,t really have a clue were we were.
    back onto the main old highway heading towards coffs.

We turned off to sawtell and did a surf check(no waves really around the whole weekend!)on the main beach.
    A quick photo opp and back on the road through the main street of Sawtell.
    A few klms later up popped the coffs airport via the back of coffs main shopping area.
    back onto the main road and over the hill to the Banana.
    Lining up on the grass the local news stations were taking footage and interviewing people for the news.
    When i pulled up the camera man filmed us and put the camera into my car filming me and pat doing peace signs.
    My mum called me later that night to tell me she saw me on her local news on the gold coast..classic!!
    [​IMG]

A few cars had a private photo shoot up on the top of the hill
    last one..
    [​IMG]
    After this my camera decided it didnt want to work any more so i have no more pics to add.
    Back to valla for dinner in the barnshed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work Chuck :cool:

13. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Awesome photos , will have to be at the next Valla event !! :D

14. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. Had a top weekend such a social event. No 1 to big for their boots the age is so differing teenagers to oldies with their own interpretation's on VW's.
    ernie

15. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Dunno if this will work, took it on my phone
    [​IMG]

16. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Thank you Chuck........ (Hope that's right?)

Working late...... feeling hard done by........ flick onto the forum....... your photographic efforts, engrossing, and so.. so... Appreciated!!!!
    Mille Grazie regazzo!
    JD in dark and cold Adelaide.
    :cool:

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Full credit to the OP (Chuck is it?)!

Half the posting members here dissappear to Valla, and not a single pic or comment made till yours.

Much appreciated buddy!

I was actually wondering whether it was cancelled, by the lack of effort by attendees to share some pics......:)

Thanks again. :)

18. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

OK just for Grant here is a few:

I got there late Wednesday so missed the trip to Dorrigo and the car racing (yawn) has been covered.

We had a syncro day organised for Friday and that was up just past the big banana right near Sealys Lookout at Coffs hinterland on the Rover Trail.

It was rutted and extremely steep but dry so we all gave it a go - apart from the T5 4 Motion.

All made it through the track apart from one casualty - and even the extra "Lantana" trail as I call it as there is a huge wall of lantana that grows partially over the track - not good for those with new paintwork.

The first really steep grade which was ridiculously steep, rutted and full of loose rocks claimed the tyre of Roberts syncro (who travelled here slowly from Perth over the last 12 months) and he started to have chest pains due to a heart condition so we all agreed it best for him and his rig to turn around and head back down to the safety of the base of the track which was done under the watch of Paul Nevin in his monster truck.

The track didnt imporve untill we were near the top (where the photos were taken) then lots of steep drops down yet much more gentle than the up hill side. Was a relief to be back on a sealed normal road again for the trip back to Valla.

Here is the line up panorama:
    [​IMG]

And a few on the trail:
    [​IMG]

See my wheels are very dirty - a very rutted track and apparently my syncro spat a massive rock at Harmut in his lovely red Tristar:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  19. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

More:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Neil in his 79 beastly diff-locked bay came along too:
    [​IMG]