1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Various Canberra Kombi's

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by Gabriella, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

I have seen numerous Kombi's in Canberra and whenever I see them I always wonder if they are from the KC. So I thought I would just post the main ones I see, just to find out if they are owned by anyone on here, just for curiosity's sake.

There is one on Cowper (?) street in Dickson, its a bright yellow camper with green bumper/bull bar that I drive past pretty much everyday.

A yellow Camper on Caylie (not sure of that spelling) in Narrabundah, off Carnegie Crescent, there is also a bug at the house.

And a white camper on Dalrymple in Red Hill, it may have a rear demister type thing on the back window, not sure if it is that but if it is, then its very cool.

Also there was this dark grey splitty out in Bungendore a while back that was rumoured to be for sale, it was very shiny and nice. Out of curiosity does anyone own that one?

2. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Gabriella, just look for the kombi club sticker. If they don't have one ask Roy for a few and hand them out.

3. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

I seem to recall seeing the first two when we were in Canberra for the Bus Stop last year. :cool: I was gonna suggest the second one might be Johnno's (chellejohnno) but I think his was more green and seeing as tho you picked up a fridge or two from him the other day you'd prolly remmeber if it were his lol. :D

Kombi Dad might knowsomething about the one in Bungendore as he harks from their. :cool:

4. nige

nige New Member

I saw that camper in dickson yesterday and thought it was yours.
    The white one in red hill is owned by an artist called luna i think, she has a studio out in mitchell. i see that one all the time. I haven't seen your van around before. I've got a (currently) blue and white 75 poptop that's just been taken off the road for a full rebuild. I'll document it all and start a thread. Hope to see you round :)

5. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

I know Luna :) but its not her's that I am thinking of.

Do you live Northish?

Yeah Sunshine has been around Dickson a lot lately (I live there), so has BC (Schmoburger's Kombi) who is also yellow, and a camper, but is kinda dodgy.

Did you ever park your Kombi outside Cream in civic bout a month or so ago? Saw one there a while ago.

Anyway, I shall see you around :)

Gabriella

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

LOL!!! only a girlfriend could get away with that!!!! :p

7. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

The dark grey splitty is not from Bungendore as far as I know. I have seen it around Queanbeyan a bit so maybe from there.

8. nige

nige New Member

my van

My van probably been parked all over canberra at different times. It'll be a while before it's back on the streets again though and besides, it'll be unrecognisable by then anyway. I'm doing a comprehensive top down rebuild (just starting).
    I live in kingston now. Previously aranda and lyneham. The van is being dismantled in the back yard. (My flatmate's cool with it because it gave him an easy excuse to set up an olympic trampoline which takes up similar space!)

There's nothing horrendously wrong with the van, just a huge list of medium sized problems. I work for a company that has a cabinet maker, interior designer, metal fabricators, hotrod enthusiasts, electronics gurus and arts practioners on staff. An enormous wealth of experience, so i hope to get real creative with the interior once the shell and running gear is back to a decent standard. I'm going to document the lengthy process of resto too, so should get started on that soon :)

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What colour wheels does the grey splittie have?

Although the one I know is def not for sale.

10. nige

nige New Member

Has anyone seen the blue camper that's always parked on the nature strip in the middle of the road out front of kingstons bus depot markets everyday?

Or the old lowlight thats covered with duran duran lyrics travelling between belconnen and lyneham?

Or that highly buffed showcar splittie in light green that was last out at corinbank?

There's a few bays that i see from out belconnen way, haven't had the chance to meet their drivers yet.

11. beep

beep Member

Yeah I always notice that one in Kingston. Its been there for years. And I see the duran duran one a bit too.

I know the guy who owns the double cab on miller street and there's a blue camper on the nature strip on boulderwood st, and an orange auto deluxe around braddon and lyneham a fair bit.

My ones blue and you'll see it around o'connor. Heaps of kombis in the can!

12. nige

nige New Member

Glenloch interchange, near aranda where they were doing the major roadworks until recently.

Pulled onto the verge to take a phonecall and sank.

Still got mud under the van from this one.

[​IMG]

13. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Hmmmm...know that feeling well... but in my case it was getting sunk down to the hubcaps in my folks backyard with a trailer on. To ad insult to injury I ended up being pulled out by a VG Valiant... :eek:

14. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

We should try and get together a Canberra Kombi Meet, with KC members and anyone else we know who isn't one. It could be fun/interesting. :)

15. phantom

phantom Member

Oh my, a Canberra Kombi 'spotted' post! Love the sunken camper, not good at the time though. I think I've seen that Camper around?

The green splitty is a regular at our major club meets, the owner has picked up a number of awards for that car, and often travels to some of the larger interstate events too.

Not sure about some of the other cars, I live on the southside and don't frequent the northside too much (occasional trips to Gungahlin).

That said there is a Doublecab about to come on the road up in the north, having a lot of work done and should be rego'd in the next few weeks. Will be black from memory.

There is also a white splitty hightop down here in Tuggers somewhere, saw it once a while back and would love a better look over it one day.

No problems in getting together, maybe you could all come along to a club outing one day and could discuss possibilities from there? We're having an event basically monthly from now until November. We need to beef up the Kombi ranks.

16. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Maybe it is time for us in the Canberra region to get together again. I did run a get together a couple of years back, just a BBQ in my backyard at Bungendore and would look forward to anything that could be done here in Canberra. Does anyone have preferences or should we show up at a ClubVeeDub outing in the first instance.

17. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Yeah I saw the green splittie at the Shannons Wheels show thing. It was very nice.

Where are the VW events held/when is the next one? The Canberra VW forum always seems to have problems with my computers.

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The Splittie mentioned (at Corinbank). Also, in the background is the Kanga Banga - backstage, behind the security fence.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  19. phantom

phantom Member

Here are the current planned events for the Canberra chapter:

April - Cruise to Murrumbateman - details to be advised

May - Sunday 18th - National Motor Heritage Day Details to be announced.

25 May 08 - Nationals (Sydney) - Club VeeDub's annual event, check your magazine for details.

June - June long weekend - overnight run to 'Huskisson' - Canb to Jervis Bay and back. More details to come.

July - Club AGM (Sydney) - we'd like to get as many members there as possible

August - Steves Third Annual Hot Chocolate Run - details to be advised

September - Sunday 28th - Shannons German Autofest, Canberra's biggest collection of VWs all in one place! On the lawns between Anzac Parade and the lake.

October - Batemans Bay Cruise - more details to come

November - Marques In The Park - Details to be announced.

You can get all the details here: www.smonson.com/vwclub/forum/

20. nige

nige New Member

Grantus, were those your t3s at corinbank? I'm set to have my camper back up and running for the event next year. Having to 'sleep' in a tent while i had a broken down camper at home sucked...

I'm looking forward to getting a heap of work done quickly and being able to attend some events, especially locally, while piloting one of the marques :)

It's good to see the scene live and well.