1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veggie Gardens

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by prone, Jun 29, 2020.

1. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My 14yo daughter has taken an interest in growing her own veggies. This is something that I’ve always thought about doing but have never done so we are going to give it a go together.

We are complete newbies to growing veggies so to make it easier we have purchased a small sized Vegepod. We put the Vegepod together yesterday and are planning to get all of the other items that we need to start our veggie garden today.

Obviously we are going to need soil and seeds to get started but I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Also, are there any suggestions on what’s best to plant at this time of year?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated and if you have a veggie garden it’d be great to see some pics :)

Cheers 0CB5FFF2-DA2D-4DAE-BD93-9FBC8D29A8DC.jpeg

Elsie 76, oldman and KahunaKombi like this.
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You will find modern potting mixes pretty unsatisfactory but mixes are necessary for containers as soil doesn't hold a good structure in those conditions.
    Buy best avail.
    Some composted leaf matter rich soil is a usefully additive.
    Large poly boxes are useful and free from the likes of IGA .
    Shallow pots will dry quickly and stress plants.
    Plants also need to balance roots and top growth.
    If you have access to an area of ground it will be worth building a raised bed and building a rich soil with organic matter.
    Search the net for composting , soil building, seasonal planting.
    Soil temperatures are relevant so plant in season.

White shade cloth is good for covers .

Probably a bit late now but decidous leaves, particularly Oaks, are good combined with manure for potting compost. Balance pH with dolomite.

Buy a cheap pH kit.

My daughters gardener for her restaurant built a brilliant garden on top of soil that I reconed was virtually unusable.
    She added a 150mm layer of blended soil and used primarily dried cow poo and seaweed plus cocopeat mulch .
    Cow manure is good as it doesn't contain seeds as does horse poo.
    Chook pelletised poo also useful but not fresh.
    Pig shit too much nitrogen.
    Natrakelp is a great seaweed booster which I have used for years with good results.
    Also keeps a lot of bugs off.

As the Ag teacher always said...
    The answer lies in the soil.

A rewarding hobby.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    prone likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Back to the pod.
    Leafy greens are a good start.
    A couple seedlings each of an oak leaf lettuce, silver beet, anything else you will eat.
    Those two can be picked continously as leaves for salad or cooking.
    Cress, chives, parsley. ?
    Buy as healthy, not oversized ,green seedlings.
    Don't stress lettuce or it will become bitter.
    But salt will reduce any bitterness when prepared.

prone likes this.
  4. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Thanks Col.

If we are successful with the Vegepod we plan on making a more permanent veggie garden in our backyard.

Thought that it’d be best to start off small to make sure that it’s something that we are going to continue doing.

I’m looking forward to getting started.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. Interest can wain without some success ;)
    The difficulty is , I think, with potting mixes.
    I have had very poor results in my poly boxes on verandah.
    Herbs are pretty easy but best to grow something that will be eaten.
    A healthy bit of soil is easier I recon.
    Definately start small but a square metre or two raised bed of improved soil with compost will likely make a good producing garden.
    Any old board or stone to raise edges.
    Poly pipe hoops , or anything else, and a metre or two of white shade cloth
    Or clear plastic in winter

Good length of daily sunshine important with morning sun preferred.

prone likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

The VegePod website seems to have some basic info as well as support.

Buying seeds can be somewhat hit and miss with success ..... seedlings on the other hand give you an established plant to transplant.

Used to grow Radish and Roma Tomatoes in the ground when @ Kincumber & a bachelor many years ago. Used grass clippings as a fertiliser of sorts during crops. Had a crack @ carrots but too fiddly and they really needed a more pliable soil to grow than I had so while I got a crop it wasn't that great.

prone and grumble like this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Grow what the young lady likes to eat. Great adventure.

KahunaKombi, prone and cbus like this.
  8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You my have to start a compost system for your house hold food scraps and also can use shredded paper to balance the content of your composting.Which is good for improving your soil.
    To me your in between seasons for growing a lot of veggie crops.
    Younger children you normally like things that grow quickly like radishes (children don't like them) as they loose interest,this wouldn't be the case,grow things they like to eat and at the moment you might be limited for room to what you can grow. I'm not sure on variety as I think you can get a broccoli that can grow into the warmer seasons (room allowed) is good to grow as you get the main crop and after that you will get secondary groups off the sides of the main stem. Good to hear young people interested in growing veggies ,hope you succeed in your veggie garden.

prone and cbus like this.
  9. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Worms. Veggie gardens need worms, both in the ground and a worm farm to produce castings and that magical worm juice. An average household can support a worm farm. Castings are a super form of compost and worm juice is the super tonic that makes plants thrive. And both are organic.

David H, oldman, KahunaKombi and 2 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Cherry tomatoes are easy to grow and kid friendly.

prone, KahunaKombi and cbus like this.