1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vegie chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr Percival, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Hi
    i was reading the Great KC weight in and noticed there seemed to be a lot of vegos'
    i thought it might be good to start a thread for the vegetarians, though all are welcome :)

I have been a vegetarian for 4.5 years. I dabbled in vegetarian for many years, though will never go back now. I actually crave Tofu, the way i think i used to crave chicken ( YUK)

i think it would be great to share stores, recipes, dietary tips etc...

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years and it doesn't make you lose weight:(

Mrs Syncro made Glamorgan sausages last night.

[​IMG]

:D :D

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. do share!! what are they?

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Mrs Syncro just lent me her workshop manual for the Welsh sausages.

Glamorgan Sausages with Red Onion Marmalade

Serves 4
    Ingredients

For the sausages
    200g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs (including crusts made in food processor)
    150g Light Cheddar or Caerphilly cheese - grated
    1tablespoon flat leaf parsley - chopped
    1tablespoon coriander - chopped
    I teaspoon fresh thyme
    1 small leek - finely chopped
    salt and black pepper
    1tablespoon whole grain mustard
    3 eggs

Method

Mix 125g of the breadcrumbs with the cheese, fresh herbs and leeks and season well. Lightly beat 2 eggs with the mustard and combine with the dry ingredients. Mix until bound together, adding a little milk if necessary. Divide the mixture into 12 and roll into sausages, chill for at least 20 minutes.
    Before cooking beat the remaining egg and using the remaining breadcrumbs, coat each sausage in egg and then breadcrumbs. To cook fry the sausages in a little vegetable oil for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown all over. Serve with red onion marmalade
    Red Onion Marmalade

Ingredients

400g red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
    25g butter or 30mls of virgin olive oil.
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme
    salt & pepper

Method

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions, balsamic vinegar, thyme and seasoning and stir. Cook over a gentle heat for approximately 30 minutes, leaving the lid off and stirring frequently. At the end of the cooking time the liquid should have evaporated, leaving a glossy, rich, onion marmalade.

[​IMG]

5. juzbee

juzbee Member

Awesome Mr Percival!!!

I will be definitely posting recipes as I make them .. easy way to remember them then :)

also don't eat products with wheat in it.. I do sometimes cook a meal with a little bit of wheat based product.
    Carl (hippy-71) doesnt eat meat or wheat either.. Im sure he will interested in this thread also.. im sure he will let me know of any new recipes on here that need trying out;)

6. thats cool, .look forward to reading and trying...

7. this is one of my favourite recipes which can be whipped up in 5 mins flat:

1 can organic lentils (brown)
    pkt taco seasoning mix
    1 large tomato diced
    1 carrot grated
    1 onion diced
    5 mushrooms sliced
    small can corn

Method:
    fry onion till soft. Add mushroom, carrot, corn and taco seasoning mix add about 3/4 cup water. cook for about 5mins till it thickens up a bit & carrot is cooked.

I like to serve this over a baked potato or treat it like a taco and serve in a soft or hard taco shell with lovely fresh lettuce & diced tomato.
    this is really quick, easy and extremely yummy!!!!

8. Thomas

Thomas New Member

those glamoran sausages sound delightful!
    home made vegetarian sausages are always a lot nicer than bought ones!
    :)

9. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Just made this for dinner tonight Deb - went down a treat with all of the family. They didn't even ask "where's the meat"? :) there's also heaps left over, so I'm going to bake some haloumi cheese and some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I already know it's gonna be great!

10. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread! :) I have been vegetarian for over 20 years now, and can't imagine ever eating meat again... it would be great to exchange recipes! :) (and those snags look great!) :)

We're eating tofu burgers with homegrown black russian tomatoes and salad at the moment, Alice whipped it up in minutes.

We also had an earlier "Who's A Vegetarian?" thread, hopefully this thread doesn't get hijacked like the last.... :)
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=15747

11. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

This is brilliant... I am always looking for new recipes and ideas.

I have been Vegetarian for 19 years and although I do cook meat for my family, It's nice to try and squeeze a few meat free meals in through the week.

I agree with Syncro, being Vegetarian doesn't make you lose weight... :)

12. Bulli

Bulli New Member

seen on a toilet wall, "My mother made me a vegetarian"
    Someone wrote a reply, "If i gave her the wool, would she make me one too?"

13. Archeress

Archeress Guest

i would never hijack a vegie thread...in fact if any one does then i would like to meat them myself.[​IMG]

14. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Just had my lunch and it was absolutely delicious - even better the next day - haloumi is just the best thing since, oh, I don't know, sliced cheese!!

Do those of you who are vegetarian eat a lot of haloumi? I could eat it every day of the week, but I think I'd end up a bit on the chubby side. :lol:

15. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

My favourite meal:

Bunch of spinach.
    Wholemeal pita bread or other flat bread.
    Fetta cheese.

Boil spinach, grate fetta and throw together on flat bread. Roll up - add tomato sauce to taste.

If I'm feeling time-generous then I'll throw some garlic, mushroom, onion and tomato in a fry pan with some herbs and chuck that on too.

16. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Nothing like a [​IMG] with haloumi cheese. mmmmmm.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I love haloumi:heart:

Only allowed twice per month though.:(

(Cheese is evil)

18. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Synchro,

We made your Glamorgan Sausages this eve - they were fabulous - thanks for the recipe!
    Been trying to find a good vegie sausage recipe for a while.
    We substituted the cheddar/caerphilly for goats fetta (better for lactose intolerance)....tasted divine. Cheers mate

Dave & Babs

19. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

Yummm... That sounds delicious. I love that the simple foods, requiring little effort, are often the best... (I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true.)

My fave at the minute is

half a red onion, Diced
    300gms of spinach Leaves
    1 heaped tablespoon of Best Foods brand Mayonnaise. (It's has a mild creamy flavour, less tang.)

Put it all in a bowl, mix well, and serve as a tasty side dish...

20. dan_b

dan_b Member

just had GoblinSA meal, but we fryed the spinach for about 3oseconds with red oinion,garlic and the feta, and that was soo nice, we not vego's but truly looking at going that way, seams so much easer.

any more ideas for quick meals?