1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volkswagen Mechanic Adelaide

Discussion in 'SA' started by craigmcglone, May 13, 2011.

1. craigmcglone

craigmcglone New Member

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can recommend a volkswagen mechanic in/around Adelaide who you think may be prepared to work on a type 2 Kombi sliding door, usually I go to Volksfactory but they are not 'up' for the job...

Any leads appreciated!!

2. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

sounds like you are north of town if contacting Volksfactory - so maybe talk to Volkscare - Tania Ave I think

3. okymura

okymura Member

We have been going to GHR Motors, Daws Road, Clovelly Park for years, good sevice.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. craigmcglone

craigmcglone New Member

Great, just called them and booked it in for volkscare tues, thanks for the tip... Thanks also for the clovelly park contact

5. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Volksfactory....
    Sorry to say I am no fan.
    Attempted to slug me over double the price of a brand new part (commonly available from a dealer) last time I enquired about some second hand cheap parts.
    Sorry to bitch about it, but the quote was highway robbery to be honest. I've not bothered to even pickup the phone and call them back since.
    Would love to be a loyal customer collecting the parts I need and handing over my hard earned to whoever can help, but I will not be taken for a ride.
    I feel sorry for the situation for all with kombis, as we all may need to approach this guy at some point for something (Regretably).
    Other mechanics who stated he deals with VW parts have mentioned sometimes he can be difficult according to customer feedback.
    I know we all have our life issues, and I do not want to ruin this guys holidays, I hope if this comment is read it is taken on board as a constructive comment that may improve the situation as whole.
    I give the benefit of the doubt although I already know what to expect, unfortunatly hopefully/probably some people have had luck with Volksfactory.

6. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Bob at Volkscare is great, he's worked on Abby and Sophie and I've never had a problem with him. My sister swears by GHR and they're not too bad either, I've used them once for Sophie's clutch when I needed it done quickly and Bob was booked out for weeks at the time....

I've used V&T on O'Sulivans Beach road too (my Mum lives at Aldinga) and never had any issues with them either.... just that they're too far to go to from Port Adelaide too often...!!!!

I never knew much about Volksfactory, just bought a couple of bits and bobs from them occasionally.....

Abby.75

7. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Look online first before anything for spares...

chris taylor likes this.
  8. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Huh???:wtf:

Well, lets shed some light on that, shall we??

Talking to Bob recently revealled some eye opening instances of customer supplied spares bought for being "dirt cheap".

1) Chinese extractors that required over an hours EXTRA labour just to relocate badly welded assembly so they would fit.... It would have been "cheaper" to buy the "expensive" one and just fit it....
    2) Master cylinders bought "cheap" from overseas...They have the hydraulic hose fittings on the wrong side and are useless here.
    3) "brosol" 34pict 3 carburettors that were really Chinese and some of the drillings drilled right into the throat during manufacture, filling the engine with fuel.
    4) "$39" distributors that explode internally just after start-up and have a defective internal mechanism.

Not everything online is what you think it is.... and most of us can't tell the difference until it's too late.

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

^^ x 2. If you're buying on price alone...expect problems with quality & longevity.

10. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Was actually talking about mechanics quotes for parts.
    Recently got a quote, labour was ok, but beat the mechanic on parts looking online at Just campers!
    Buy genuine parts but search online. Always do as much homework as possible on whatever it is your looking for.
    I would not buy car spares from Anywhere except Aus, Usa or U.k/europe and make sure the brand is tried and tested. Trust me! I don't cheap out, I just shop carefully. I work hard for my cash. I might sit online researching for weeks before handing over $$$.

11. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Just saying.... don't be a dumb and fork out "what the mechanic thinks" because its convenient. He should know where the general public can obtain parts from. Based on the cost price that anyone can view online 24/7 is where he should be cutting the good deal.
    Otherwise, he will be doing labour only work, because customers will walk in with quality spares off the street. Not my fault they over quote because I am observant, their loss on parts profits. They can buy cheaper than the public on trade price anyway. Why then wack a profit on it that is greater than everyday price?
    Not trying to screw mechanics down, but it just simply makes sense to me...

12. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Good luck with that one... Unfortunately for you, Labour is a big factor when working on old air cooled VW's. Good, Experienced VW techs have no issue with refusing to fit sub standard parts or refusing to repair a car that a customer wants sub-standardly repaired to a price- they just end up being pushed off site for you to deal with in most cases.... in fact, it is good practice from an insurance point of view. A good workshop will consider road safety as a primary motive for their decisions. If I had a workshop, I would not even fit a second hand engine.....can of worms.... Repair yours or rebuild. If you supply parts, no warranty on the part or associated failures of whatever it affects. You will find that all good workshops would have adopted similar.

Here's a good example...if you supplied a set of carbs of an international website and landed them for $600, had them fitted for $300(working on a workshop rate of $100/hr ), had the fuel pump system installed($300 in parts for good quality tach relay, decent pump, shut off solenoid, wiring and plumbing...

What are we up to here...??? $1200 cost to customer.... then to have it all working properly, it needs a run on the Dyno to set up mixtures as the carbs are most certainly not correct out of the box. No dyno tune= no warranty on work or parts as there is no proof of correct combustion. Abnormal combustion KILLS engines and is 95% of what I see with most being due to poor carburetion setup and bad timing...others from ancilliary failures like waste gate pipes falling off of turbo's, causing bad over boosting(things like 800hp GM LS twin turbo engines trying to squeeze a metal shim head gasket out sideways from between the block and head...), detonation breaking flame rings on head gaskets, etc...

Expect a decent dyno session to be about $700+ for somebody who knows what they are doing.

We would like to hear your experiences. Do Tell!! :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  13. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

For a start I have a water cooled. No turbo.
    Still don't get what your on about really.... unless your indicating the "warranty on parts and labour" supplied by the mechanic.
    I can see your saying parts supplied by the mechanic are backed by them. I think your also saying if I supply the EXACT same part myself, say sourced by VW Solitaire, the mechanic has a loophole?
    So, by law what's the deal? Let's make this crystal clear for all including home repairers. Who gets to blame/sue whoever for what ever?
    Is this J.D's neck of the woods?

14. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

(Double Post Edit)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  15. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Just an afterthought that may help explain my angle.
    Number 43 Relay of mine blew a chip.
    Called volksfactory for a second handy. Told over the phone $80.
    Thought woah! Pricey....
    Curious how much a new one was I called VW solitaire at mile end S.A
    Expected them to quote something like $140 based on price of a second hand one.
    Suprised when they told me $40 for a brand new one!
    So... say I paid $80. What extra entitlements would I get as far as warranty/fitting e.c.t goes?

That's my main point....
    Please comment.
    Cheers

16. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

(Double Post Edit)

17. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Sorry for double posts. No idea why it is doing that.
    Other thing I wanted to ask is, from a mechanics perspective, is it about a customer possibly tampering with parts, that may then be given to a mechanic for fitting?
    Then say... customer picks up the car, drives down the road knowing the engine will blow, blows it, and returns to the mechanic for a full argument/rebuild/punch on/courtcase?
    I can see then why cheap spares affect the insurance!
    Not to mention fatalities associated....
    That said, are you indicating places like Just Campers and The Bus Stop are online stores the general public should shop at for parts, they can then take to their mechanic for fitting? Or are these places shops for mechanics..... and if they feel the parts are acceptable enough for them to honor alongside their worksmanship?

Basically getting at the liability thing on the fitter whether it be mechanic or D.I.Y job?
    Should also add parts failure into the equasion as well as poor worksmanship.
    Could look at is as the customer just carrying the part from A-B from source to fitting.
    What if I get the part shipped direct to the mechanic leaving me out of the tampering equasion?
    May not have explained that properly but thats enough typing for meantime.

18. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Hi, doesn't explain it at all...I really do not see your parallel.

Online sourcing vs local sourcing?? These are substantially different from each other. Also aftermarket vs genuine...

Would be interesting to see if Solitaire provides a warranty on that electrical part that you fitted...maybe you can give them a call and find out.

I think manufacturers have "no returns" policies on electrical products once they are unwrapped for fitting.

In regard to that last comment I added, there are insurance issues related to fitting a potentially defective part that you supply and if it takes out another piece of the electrical system, it all gets a bit messy there after and you have covered that fairly well. Yes, maybe J.D. can provide some insight. Most good workshops will have systems in place to also deal with that and accommodate your needs.

In regard to "So... say I paid $80. What extra entitlements would I get as far as warranty/fitting e.c.t goes?" , you will need to ask the retailer of the part you are referring to.

I think you have explained fairly well as to why most workshops probably keep a fairly heavy line drawn in the sand so to speak, including now refusing to work on air cooleds...

I certainly will not speak for those who do otherwise and what they do is up to them..
    :)

19. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Cool,
    Yeah Agree with local Vs O.S.
    Recently the import law got changed. Think it was January 2011. If you buy a pair of shoes now from say USA and you sell them on you are now liable. Long story, studied small business and had this law affect insurance I had at the time. Affected a fair bit actually, to the point I nearly continued to pay for something that probably did not cover me!

Only Solitaire docket I can find says...
    For returns...
    Invoice number to be quoted.
    Goods & Package undamaged.
    Goods returned up to 30 days 15% stocking charge.
    After 30 days no credit.
    Goods brought in or requested, no credit.
    Electrical items no credit. <----There it is!
    Goods under $30 no credit.
    Freight no credit.
    Deposits on buy ins not collected after 7 days no credit.
    Parts with NG Prefix are non genuine parts, and are not covered by manufacturers warranty.

Strange that VW will get in non genuine parts for you!

Wondering if this means I can start turning out a particular part E.G say a Mirror, with no kickbacks if sold through a VW approved retailer, seeing as I am a manufacturer making a non genuine part??

Still does not really explain the deal with a faulty part, and what goes on there, electrical or otherwise. Only talks about Credits, Refunds, Deposits.
    I see no word in there such as "Replacement" or "Defective".

This has me thinking what life must be like owning an old splitty!?

20. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Morning Gentlemen....saw the reference to my moniker and happy to proffer my views. You are both right in your observations and as always the legal position is more complex than it needs to be. Upon engaging the services of X who holds himself out as having expertise in a particular field ( mechanic ) for reward / fee , you enter a contract . X provides a service and you provide consideration ( payment ). Normally that contract will be unqualified..." fix my car and I will pay your bill" If a new part/ 2nd hand part is required you should ask X to ring you first with that information, and cost. X will have that part in stock or will have to source it. Either way , he will have $ or effort involved. Eg..paying $ for part which then sits on shelf for 3 months while X pays overdraft interest / add cost / effort in sourcing then taking physical possession generates a cost on top of part cost.
    This is the area of discrepancy...some " markups " reflecting aforesaid costs/effort are reasonable ; 15% etc but in many cases the markup is unconscionably extortionate. It does not pay to be blonde , dizzy headed and possessed of ovaries in the stereotype of crooked X's ripping off such people. A familiar telephone call...." Mr X here. Your multi - fly - binite gunge nurgler needs to be counter sunk but the flange gussett is conflabulated. Fortunately I just happen to have one in stock for the very reasonable price of a 2nd mortgage on your house and a date with you..." Grateful for her good fortune in the midst of such unhappy fiscal tidings. Ms Dizzy agrees and Mr X inserts a $2.50 flange gussett and rips off Ms Dizzy. Always insist on advice before a new part is installed and if in doubt tell X you will get back to him and get a 2nd opinion....or quote on said part. Sorry for stereotyping , but you get the picture. If you find a much cheaper part, find out why...that involves going back to X and asking? Problems arise when Ms Not so Dizzy says, I will provde the Part. The contract is now modified. X should say, OK, but I accept no liability for the part and any consequential loss its failure may cause. If X does not provide such a disclaimer, then the law says in the discharge of his contactual duty to Ms Dizzy, by his silence he has approved the supply of the part and its resultant failure will be attributable to X who installed it ( and charged for the installation ). X will in turn have rights against the supplier for supplynig the defective part. So a 3rd party enters the dispute. And so it escalates. So Mr King is correct in disclaiming any part supplied by the punter. That is good practice
    As an observation...expense not always an indicator of quality...womens fashion a clarion example. Country of manufacture ( think China ) can be a good clue! This is extremely simple tale...each state has legislation protecting consumer ( S.A. Sale of Goods Act )Also Commonwealth has the rebadged former Trade Practices Act, now the Competition and Consumer Act ( Jan 2011 ) which protects consumers. Note , if you import and resell in Australia you are liable for the products fitness for purpose to your purchaser. Anyhow, my point is simply...you are both right in the more material aspects. Insist on being told of new parts...costs....ask questions...satisfy yourself ..and expect old parts to be shown to you at end. Regards John Doherty in Adelaide:cool: