1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW emissions scandal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by saabman, Jun 19, 2017.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I'm sure there was/is a number of people that were concerned about the recent VW dieselgate issue and how terrible it was that VW engineers dared make something that could detect if the vehicle was under going testing and modify its parameters to modify its emissions.

The joke really is on the testing body and their, as Midnight Oil puts it "short memory "

I recently acquired a pile of motoring magazines from the '70's and '80's and flicking through "Motor" from 1973 I found an interesting article.

In Short "The control systems were fitted with sensing mechanisms which shut them off"

It goes on to say they had "discontinued certain devices on two of the larger models in their range which the EPA described as "defeat devices"."

As they say There is nothing new under the sun.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.
  2. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

When does ones moral obligation, honesty, integrity and compliance with the law count?

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Love those flares on the cover.....should've kept mine :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H likes this.
  4. saabman

you would think they would keep their eye on a previous offender though.

Id love to know what it was they did and what vehicles it applied to.

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

They did it again. Haven't learned from the first time. There good at getting caught. Nice article on some history repeating it's self.

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

And a wide tie!
    Cheers

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

2" Collars on your business shirts, double cuffed sleeves, ties with paisley designs - the 70's ...... still reckon the best years ....... and no political correctness but everyone seems to get on and joke about it all :rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  8. KahunaKombi

Would be a great article to send to VW with those 2 pages and ask what's changed :D.

Mind you it hasn't and wouldn't detract me from buying a VW from that period nor a current one :cool:

9. saabman

Interestingly I have been trying to find out exactly what they did in 1972/3 so far with out success.

But they were also fined in 2005 for an emissions issue as well. Something to do with ineffective O2 sensors.

The market obviously cares more for performance and economy than emissions.
    I certainly don't give it consideration.

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I would rather VW dispense will all the emissions control crap and manufacture a lighter car with what would be much better fuel economy and power.

Basically the emissions cheat technology only turned the emissions control crap on when it was tested.

When the emissions control crap was on - it made the engine a slug that drank like a V16.

Whereas a VW TDi goes very well in "normal mode".

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What about the next to zero emissions of the hybrids?

No emissions behind the car, just the emissions at the coal fired electricity power stations........o_O

12. KahunaKombi

Unless you're in South Australia :eek:

Too many alarmists out there ..... this no doubt will earn the wrath of some but Australia contributes approx 1.4% to world emissions ..... so the so called emissions reduction set will make seven tenths of nine sixteenths of SFA.

Isn't the so called hole in the o-zone in the upper northern hemisphere ...... strange that the same area sends more rockets into space punching holes through the "protective" layer but amazingly the scientists never mention the damage this has caused nor how it recovers :rolleyes: or it's effects on GW .... pretty D&M :confused:

If the Government was fair dinkum they'd check the emissions from fireworks displays and the Air Force jet fly overs.

1500king likes this.
  13. saabman

Yes - though I still want an electric car, only because i think it cool.

But I'm still intrigued about what it was vw did in the 70s what they did recently was a simple act of determining that the car wasn't actually going any where and changing engine parameters to suit. It really higjlighted the fact that the "test" was flawed and was only a simulation.

14. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

The hole in the Ozone layer is at the south pole not the north.

15. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You are spot on their Grantus. Their not polluting in their own backyard but polluting in someone else's backyard,so it must be doing my bit for the environment.Not to mention how much pollution it takes to make an electric car in the first place.Compared to how much it will save in it's life time.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

And it fixed itself without human intervention.:D

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the dual vacuum distributors on Australian VWs around 1971? These were for Australian emissions but if you complained about poor fuel economy under warranty VW Australia modified it to a single vacuum and changed the carburetor jets.

Nothing has changed.

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The humans stopped fkng the layer with CFC.
    If we stop increasing the amount of CO2 and methane then the change in temp may? be limited and cause less drastic effect.
    Keep upping it and the effect is going to be significant.
    Currently we are still pumping huge amounts into the atmosphere and the buffers are getting saturated.
    Either way there is going to be significant effect and modern society is highly geared and very vulnerable to small changes.

paul77 likes this.
  19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

CFC was all bs.

What % CO2 has it increased? They're not saying are they because it is bs. Fake news.

20. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

I laughed so much at this one I coughed a lung up.