1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW Nationals 2014

Discussion in 'NSW' started by wirrah, May 25, 2014.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

More:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice Caravelle for sale:
    [​IMG]

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben's syncro:
    [​IMG]

Nice Trakka syncro:
    [​IMG]

3. da split

da split New Member

Hi Guys and Gals
    I was also at the nationals yesterday and was impressed with some of the cars on display, what was annoying for me was that there was a large section of area dedicated to parts and the like, while there was just as many cars outside the gates in the car park that should have been in there on display but were unable due to there being no room. there was people touching things they shouldnt have been and there wasnt anyone keeping an eye on them.
    there was one bloke with a metal tape measure stretched over a really nice beetle.
    i couldnt help myself in asking what he was doing and he replied that he was checking to see if he could fit a chev motor in the front compartment. i kindly reminded him that the tape would scratch the paint and not to allow it to touch. after some grunts and groans he just walked off. seriously surely this can be addressed we put heaps of time and money into these cars and the bugs and buses here in the car park should have priority over rusty parts for sale..
    cheers just my thoughts..

4. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Great photos, guys.

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I was there selling Non rusty parts but have to agree that too much space was allocated to parts AND other vendors. There was lots of unused space down the end where I was and no one using it so a bit or organisation could have freed up more space for entrants. Dont forget that swappers paid $50 entry so not their fault that the organisers didnt do a better job. There is always lots of vehicles that should be inside but for whatever reason dont want to come in, maby the cost but who knows. Still a good day :)

6. da split

da split New Member

Hi Phil
    im not trying to point the finger and sorry for insinuating that all swappers were selling rusty parts, i know you would have had to pay to get your spot in there but just disapointing that there were so many people not doing the right thing in the car park.. having competed in the past at the summernats people just seem to know not to touch look and admire it.. anyway yes it was a good day cheers

7. da split

da split New Member

Hi Phil
    im not trying to point the finger and sorry for insinuating that all swappers were selling rusty parts, i know you would have had to pay to get your spot in there but just disapointing that there were so many people not doing the right thing in the car park.. having competed in the past at the summernats people just seem to know not to touch look and admire it.. anyway yes it was a good day cheers

8. LOWK71

LOWK71 Member

Hi All,
    My Wife and I drove down from Newcastle for the day. We really enjoyed the weather and the show atmosphere and were very impressed with the turn out of vehicles. We were very disappointed though to see that there was almost more classic (air-cooled) VW's in the car park out front than inside the show grounds. We have attended a number of shows now with our own kombi, we have been charged to exhibit our car each time, but never as much as $30 (including entry for one) and an extra $10 for entry. We can not but think that the steep entry at the show will see a drop in number in the future. A real shame, after all it is the "peoples car", just not priced for the people making the show.

9. LOWK71

LOWK71 Member

Hi All,
    My Wife and I drove down from Newcastle for the day. We really enjoyed the weather and the show atmosphere and were very impressed with the turn out of vehicles. We were very disappointed though to see that there was almost more classic (air-cooled) VW's in the car park out front than inside the show grounds. We have attended a number of shows now with our own kombi, we have been charged to exhibit our car each time, but never as much as $30 (including entry for one) and an extra $10 for entry. We can not but think that the steep entry at the show will see a drop in number in the future. A real shame, after all it is the "peoples car", just not priced for the people making the show.

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Perhaps a bigger venue so more can fit in as well as some PR encouraging all to display not just the show stoppers.

11. Barney Barndoor

Barney Barndoor Active Member

VW Nationals 2014 put on another great yearly event that I always look forward to attending each year... Always a fantastic show & venue with a great swap meet thanks again Club Vee Dub Sydney...... This year was my 24th year coming to the VW Nationals I proudly picked up "The Car of the Day" in 1993 for my 66 Deluxe Beetle when the show was held over the Easter Break at Parklea, NSW.....

Yesterday had plenty of great variations & conditions of the car we love but I couldn't go past Mats 54 Barndoor Kombi which made its debut what a beautiful restoration in every aspect of a very, very rare model...
    I spoke to Matt who has done the complete ground up restoration himself including making his own makeshift spray booth in his backyard costing him $300 at Bunnings to then apply the beautiful original grey duco.

Matt started this restoration 5 years ago & has invested 3900 hours of his time in his own backyard putting this piece of VW Art together...... If You wanted Matt to do your Kombi up like this at $50 an hour that works out to only $195,000.00..... Plus parts...

What a Labour of Love... Hats off to Matt for his dedication & talent for which his 54 Barndoor was my "Car of the Day" !!! Hands down...

Enjoy.....

Cheers Barney

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  12. splitdc61

splitdc61 Member

i agree it was outstanding I said to Mat if you didnt win the best Split I will walk home to Newcastle

13. Barney Barndoor

14. Barney Barndoor

15. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Although I love the Nationals and it gets bigger each year (even if there is an influx of pretentious over dressed Golf owners:p) I would love to see a general entry pass for the not so showy cars, get them parked in and around the race track itself, charge half the entry for those to show but no prizes etc. that way the undercover remains the same set up for the beautifully presented restos etc the Trade stands and Swap meets. Standard dubbers could park on site and get amongst it a bit like Berry.
    Lets face it, Its not like the showgrounds are a world class venue (the Bar alone is proof of that I am sure there was left over dropped onion from last years loins club sambo still on the floor). Thats my thoughts any way

16. 79_micro_bus

79_micro_bus Member

The Nationals were definitely smaller this year. Fewer cars, fewer swappers.

17. LOWK71

LOWK71 Member

Great suggestion!! lets hope club VW has ears to the ground for ideas on how to make this an even better event in future.

18. LOWK71

LOWK71 Member

Woops..... that was meant to be.....
    Great suggestion!! lets hope (well you got the idea the first time)

19. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Definitely fewer swappers and fewer cars.

Not as many people I thought.

20. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Disappointed I missed this years event, had to work over the weekend, I always love heading down to the Nationals but now concentrating on Valla, I can't wait.

Steve