1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasserboxer Run Up Stand Plans

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Hally, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Hally

Hally Member

Hello,
    Does anyone have any run up stand plans they would be willing to share?

Cheers
    Simon

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

What is a "run up stand" If you mean ramps then you can buy them cheaply on gumtree or ebay.

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Last call for drinks ( "run up stand") Bar o_O;):D

4. njg02

njg02 Member

They're no longer cheap to buy, from anywhere. Esp the strength needed with a big car like a T3 Syncro or a Touareg.
    If you find some plans Hally, please let me know.

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

What load rating do you think you need..?
    If your vehicle is, say 3000 kg and you want to ramp the rear end up, you will only be supporting 1/2 of the overall weight as the two wheels remaining on the ground support the other half. When the rear is on the ramps, that 1500 kg is then halved again, as each wheel is now supporting half of the weight on the ramps, each.
    So, in this instance, each ramp is supporting 750 kg.....well below the average (1,000 kg) rating of the ramps mentioned above.
    .......and yes I’m aware that the rear end is heavier than the front, however it is the principle of load sharing that I’m trying to explain here.....and why a 1,000 kg rated ramp is more than adequate for most uses..
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Dapom, Poptop, Wayne murray and 2 others like this.
  8. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Make your own ramps ;) - 20190619_100756.jpg

I made these many years ago, two-piece ramp section can be removed for better access under the car. Stronger than the lame ramps supercheap etc sell, have held much heavier things than this Torana bum...

Cant help wonder though if the OP meant an engine stand to 'run up' his wasserboxer?

oldman likes this.
  9. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Yep

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I’m with you on this Mark. On a technicality though....the T3 is pretty much even 50/50 weight distribution front to back so the rear isn’t much heavier ;) I use a set of 750kg rated ramps with no problems. My calculations being that the kerb weight of a T3 is approx 1500kg so could put the whole bus on my 2 ramps though balancing may be difficult :p only the front or rear is up on the ramps at any one time so 750kg rated is almost double the capacity needed :)
    The other side of this thread is that I’m pretty sure the OP is looking for a stand to run his engine in instead of in the vehicle lol still all great info though :)

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yup, we’re on the same page.....
    The reason for me using 3000 kg was njg02’s post about a significantly heavier load.......that’s all. Even at twice your estimated weight of a T3, the ramps mentioned will still be more than adequate....
    It will be interest to see what the OP has to say !
    Cheers,
    Mark

Luckyphil and Dapom like this.
  12. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

When I saw title of post I immediately thought it was about a stand to mount wasserboxer engine on and start it. I can’t help with that either.