1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water tank for Blitz

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by rstucke, Aug 8, 2019.

1. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

So,
    The trip to KI showed a small deficiency in Blitz's ability to cater for all our needs. i.e. water carrying capacity.
    Until now we had 2 x 10 litre containers with quick connect couplings to a hand pump over the sink.
    According to Kym not good enough for the Tasmanian trip this year. Also the space under the sink could be used for more storage. Plus she wants an electric pump (who am I to argue)

Time for a tank where the original Sopra tank was originally (funky, galvanised, unusable).
    Unfortunately I welded up all the holes during my resto,

The new tank will be stainless steel, bigger than the original, and have more ground clearance (yeh right).

Anyway here's the progress so far
    Tank calculates out to just over 50 litres.
    I had it folded up but needed to modify the squareness to fit in the chassis rails before I welded it up (pita)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 7.jpg 7a.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

More towmorrow

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Gee Rick ....should have called me;). Got some S/S tanks from tintop that would have been perfect for you:cool:. Sloped to floor for best capacity & clearance. One for each side. Yeah....I know you've got to keep the workshop busy:p:rolleyes::D.
    What I see is you've got 2 baffles in there. A taper on the base (this is good...mine crossflow & are square on the base so if camped 'one side down' we can't access all the contents.. a quick jack fixes that. Total of 90 litres in mine:D means we don't need all contents very often) . A suggestion is to not bed the pickup so deep as to get most water. I'm sure you're just positioning it but if it's at the bottom of the tank it picks up all the s**t & know you would have thought of that! Sorry;).
    So you've doubled the pick ups to take care of 'fore aft imbalance'. Where/how are you running to sink from tank?
    Some of my thoughts here about s/s tanks https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/76-sopru-resto.54261/page-10 & the..... next page 11.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:18 PM
    Mr Beckstar and Elsie 76 like this.
  3. rstucke

Their will be bungs either end to allow draining and flushing so the pickups will be low (50 ltrs isn't much)
    the 2 pickups go to a 3 way lever (so I can select fore and aft depending on inclination) before the pump which is pressure sensitive
    tank vents in 4 corners that finish in one tube over the sink.
    tank filler will be a tap and quick connect on one bung low in the tank. Filling will be from the bottom up through a food grade hose and charcoal filter, when the vent dribbles in the sink the tank is full, turn the tap off and disconnect hose (I'll have to cap the connection to keep dirt out) .
    Tank can be drained when not in use.
    What could possibly go wrong

I knew you had those tanks David, but they are only 20 ltr and I can't put one on the other side because of the pullout step.
    More pics tonight.

Elsie 76, nils, tintop and 2 others like this.
  4. rstucke

Didn't get much done today.
    Still waiting for a few bits.

1.jpg 2.jpg

David H, Wayne murray and Mr Beckstar like this.
  5. David H

Get a pensioner step like we have:p;).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. rstucke

Weather has been great so have been out riding the GS up behind the central coast so didn't get as much done as I would like
    Here's some pics of progress so far.

1.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  7. rstucke

8. rstucke

Ok tank is finished
    One small pin hole now fixed
    Next step is the fitting, probably harder than construction (time will tell)

1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    Mr Beckstar, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  9. rstucke

10. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Nice one Rick! You can have longer showers now. :)

Mr Beckstar and rstucke like this.
  11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sitting on, what looks suspiciously like, a standard issue overhead projector trolley....:rolleyes:
    Nice work Rick.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar, rstucke and David H like this.
  12. rstucke

shhhhhh
    People will talk

13. David H

Great work:).
    It just looks so complex to achieve the outcome:oops:. Sorry Rick:p but I know you like to engineer it;):).
    So where is that lever?
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:30 PM
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. David H

So how are you going to support the tank? Straight to sub frame or via a support frame?
    & just to tease the engineer in you the RHS is going to be heavier & thus change your wheel alignment:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:31 PM
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

But wouldn’t that be equal to also adjusting your wheel alignment, to suit whether you are intending a Kombi cruise solo, or a different setting if you intend to carry a passenger in the LH seat? o_O

:confused:

chris taylor, Mr Beckstar and rstucke like this.
  16. David H

Torsion bars balance everything;). 50 kg anywhere shouldn't upset your bus:D. 90kg of water low under my bus makes it stick like glue to the road & have the Armstrong steering at slow speeds.
    Thread hijack:(.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  17. rstucke

be patient David
    Lever will be under the sink before the pump.
    Straps will hold the tank against isolators on 3 crossmembers running 90 deg to the chassis.
    Tank corner breathers are joined under the sink to one breather which is vented over the sink.
    The tank is filled from the bottom up by connecting a hose to the tap on the tank and is full when the breathers dribble into the sink.
    The pump I have is set at 17psi and automatically activated when you turn on the tap (pressure sensitive), draws 2.2 amps, suction height up to 1.2 meters, 10 l/min and can safely run dry.
    There'll be a filter on the fill hose and a charcoal filter after the pump.

tintop likes this.
  18. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Interesting equation.