1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We are a member down...

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

thats a serious bout of asthma bloke!
    Hope your out soon and breathing easy again.
    If you need some dry clean air there is always a spot for Black Betty to camp out here.
    get better aye!

2. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Sh*t@! I only saw him less than 2 weeks ago and he was fine. Hope it wasn't my company that sent him into respiratory distress!!

I'll try to get down to see him in the next few days.

3. arkemup

arkemup Member

Get well soon, mate. We're both thinking of you.
    Keith and Jeanette

4. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Hi guys,

Firstly I want to thank you all for your best wishes and kind remarks, it has been a very traumatic time lately and I have to admit emotions have been running high and I’m not ashamed to admit that I shed a tear or three at some of your comments when Michelle brought me in a copy of them.

As you know I am a chronic asthmatic and while many others share the same affliction as well as other medical conditions, I would like if you’ll indulge me, in sharing a story of stupidity and more important, complacency. It’s long so please bear with me.

Saturday 29th May. I had had a small case of the sniffles since the change of the season and as usual my asthma had reacted and flared up. In typical fashion I reached straight for the Ventolin and proceeded to rely on that alone. A trip had been organised that night with Julie’s social club on a coach to the Gabba to watch The Brisbane Lions v Collingwood. As Julie is a Collingwood supporter I though it would be fun to support the Lions for the night, after all where’s the fun if there’s no interesting tension!

My breathing had been tight all day and hindsight being a wonderful thing I probably shouldn’t have gone but we had both been looking forward to it so it was decided that I would take my Nebulizer with me and go to the first aid station if needed. The bus trip went well things weren’t too bad, however the short walk from bus to the Gabba took it out of me and the first thing we did when we got in the gates was do exactly that and go to the first aid station. The guys were very helpful and quite surprised to see someone had come prepared! I had a couple of nebules and it was nearly the end of the first quarter by the time we got in to see the game. Things had settled down so I did the same and sat back and enjoyed the game. By the time the game had ended I was tight again, but rather than go back to the first aid station, we had a bus to catch back to the Gold Coast. The 200m walk to the bus took me 35minutes to make, luckily for us someone else was lost so the bus had to wait anyway.

By the time we got back to Robina I was in more distress breathing wise, but being the stubborn individual I am I was sure that a couple of nebules once we got home and I would be fine. I was wrong. Three nebules later and my breathing was simply getting worse. I agreed at that point that an ambulance should be called. They promptly arrive within about ten minutes and got me into the ambulance, which is where things all went south. I went into spasm on the trip to the ambulance and the last thing I remember saying was “I can’t breathe”. I then blacked out.

At this point I’ll have to fill in the blanks from information I have received from third parties since then. I was bagged in the back of the ambulance and it took some time to get me back. In the E.D of Robina Hospital they attempted to find a vein several times to put in a cannular where they promptly made a mess of it, I now have a 15cm length of necrotic tissue on my arm due to the chemicals from whatever was in the cannular.

I was moved up to ICU where it was decided to intubate me and plug me full of other various pieces of equipment, another correct cannular in my arm and a central line in my groin. A hose down your throat and nose is not the best of things at any time and apparently I fought it heavily, gagging quite badly. They still couldn’t stabilise me so it was decided that they would induce a paralysis coma in an attempt to quiet things down and allow the relevant medications to do their work. With this sort of medication also comes drugs as standard practice that make you forget everything.

While I was under they had trouble stabilising my blood pressure and my temperatures and it was discovered that I had a Staph infection, possibly from the cannular in my groin. It was decided to remove that and place two in my neck instead.

The next thing I remember was being woken by one of the nurses. She was telling where I was and that I had been there for eight days. Eight days! My first thoughts were that I had only just left the footy! Further thoughts and I realised that a whole another round of footy had been played. I still have trouble reconciling the fact that I have lost 8 days out of my life with no knowledge or recollection of what happened in that time. I don’t remember what happened after I passed out in the ambulance, that information has been given to me in hind sight. I don’t remember my 15 year old son sitting next to me on the bed telling me how his soccer match went and that Jarred Hayne had head butted Billy Slater, and telling me that he loved me. I don’t remember my 9 year old son being scared of seeing me in that condition on the bed with tubes and hoses poking out of nearly every orifice. All of that has been taken away from me due to the condition that I was in…..that I had put myself in. More on this later.

After I was awoken I still has the tubes in my nose and throat and I immediately started getting stressed again, gagging on them heavily. I had to wait a further three and a half hours before the Doctor arrived to extubate me. When the muscles in the body aren’t used for some time they temporarily forget what to do and so it was made clear to me when I awoke that I would basically have to learn to walk again. I had to concentrate on any sort of movement, I had to will my hands to grip and I needed assistance with the basic things in life that we all take for granted. I’m sure you can imagine what these are!

The human body is an amazing thing however, luckily it doesn’t forget for too long.
    I came home yesterday afternoon and I am now able to get around with basic mobility. I still have to will each foot to move before the other and I still, for the time being need assistance with some things, but with physio exercises I can feel myself getting stronger slowly. Typing this has taken me four hours!

The point of this story is not for sympathy or to horror, it is a message of the dangers of complacency. There are many asthmatics of varying degrees out there, many in the KC suffer from it as well as other potential life threatening medical conditions like diabetes etc. . I have lived with it all my life and have been hospitalised several times, each time telling myself and my family that it will never happen again. However I became complacent with my condition, and because of that I suffered the worst instance of it I ever have, as a result I nearly lost everything that I hold dear.
    If you suffer from asthma make sure you see your GP and get an action plan done and stick to it. Check your peak flows and get to know what level you need medical assistance. At the first sign of a sniffle, get on top of it, seek appropriate medication if needed. No matter what medial affliction you suffer from, make sure you are seeing your GP regularly and are taking all relevant measures necessary to prevent an episode. Its all too easy to say it will be ok….
    In my case it was all too easy to let my asthma action plan slip, it was too easy to rely on nebulisers alone, and it was all too easy to say “I don’t want to bother the ambos with this just yet”

This has been a life changing event for me, it has been rammed home hard what I could have lost and what I have to live for. I have two gorgeous boys and a wonderful wife whom I have put through hell with my stupidity.

Life is a gift, and family is life. I am thankful for both and again I would like to thank you, my KC family, and all your thoughts and prayers.

Each and everyone of you please promise yourself right now to never become complacent with whatever condition you may suffer from. We all enjoy each others company and would like to continue to do so.

Thanks,

5. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Craig, man. That's bloody amazing. Thank's for spilling your guts and reminding us all.

Godspeed to you mate. Up and up, and thanks for reminding us never to become complacent with the important things in our lives - in sickness and in health.

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Amazing to see you posting Craig and very relieved to see you have pulled through. That is great news.

7. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

good to hear your up and about.....:)

don't! do that again.....:wtf:

knoll dwellers are tough remember ! !.....:rolleyes:

8. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Good to see that you're up & around Craig.:D
    As a diabetic I know what you mean about being complacent, I've never gone as bad as you have with asthma but have pushed the limits sometimes. I'll try & be more careful.

DON'T DO THAT AGAIN !!! :mad:

As Pat said, Knoll Dwellers are tough but we're not immortal. :D

9. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Bugger now I cant see the computer screen, anyone got a tissue.:(

Craig glad to hear you are home and making a slow and steady recovery, that was very well written and will make us all think twice.

Please don't hesitate to call if you or Julie need a hand with anything.

10. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

:heart: Glad to see your back posting here on KC....you had us all more than a tad worried, look after yourself and hope you're feeling 100% again real soon :heart:

11. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Thats great news...
    I can now scratch a "Craig Hospital Visit" off my MUST DO list for the weekend...
    Glad to know things are getting better now for you.
    As Lorraine said you did have us a tad worried ....
    DON"T DO THAT AGAIN!!! :(

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So good you are back up and running so soon Craig! :)

And cheers for sharing the ordeal..... good advice to all.

Hope you make Old Bar this year for another catch up.. ;)

13. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Glad you are home Craig - rest up and heal.. and bloody well look after yourself better eh!

14. Dan_Ling85

Dan_Ling85 Member

Great 2 have u back Craig!!
    Hope ur ok mate
    cheers
    Dan

15. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I'm wrapt that you're home safe and sound. Bet Julie, Nathan and Kane are bloody relieved too. :heart:

I guess one thing to take out of this is that it's given you a massive wake up call, and I know that you won't let yourself go down this path again. Neither will your family!

So glad that you're OK. Much love to you and the fam and I hope you get better quickly. Will try and come down to see you in the next week or so.

16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Glad to hear your on the brighter side of that trip!

All the best for your full recovery!

Bernie

17. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Fantastic news indeed Craig. Hope you get up to speed very soon and a big thanks for sharing your story. I guess we all tend to over-look health issues now and then and your story is a timely reminder not to be complacent.

All the very best to you and your family.

18. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great to hear you're back home.

Plenty of people here to give support :D