1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well here it is the work has begun on the Kombi of Hope!!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Kombi of Hope, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Kombi of Hope Resto Thread

Well as we said the work started today!!!!
    We got of to an early start ,the motor was first up it got a tune up Ian (Verity’s husband) went out and bought the leads,spark plugs,airfilter and hoses. Nathan (my husband) and Ian got stuck into.

[​IMG]

One of the rear brakes were sticking, so we decided that we may need to have a closer look ,after a good clean as it caked with brake dust and oil revealed that the rear wheel cylinders need replacing along with the pads and I think we will assume that the other side will need the same.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to start stripping everything out of her we were a bit scared as to what we were going to find after reading everybody else’s horror stories.
    So out came the original stove and fridge and beautiful chipboard cupboard that had seen better days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Then came out the rear facing seat and the rock and roll bed.
    It was now time to rip up the lino and hope that we wouldn’t be able to see the driveway staring back at us.

[​IMG]

Woohoo no driveway to be seen through the floor which means No Rust in the floor pans. Hooorayyy what a massive relief.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

The only rust to be found inside was under the front seat which is only surface rust.

[​IMG]

The headlining came out.

[​IMG]

Verity removing the sun visors

[​IMG]

So just today we went from this

[​IMG]

4. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

To this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We even got the kids working!

[​IMG]

So had a really productive day on the Kombi of Hope.Not many surprises which was great ,the tally so far of things Verity has lost to the kombi resto are
    *An oven mit (Ian used it to check for a good spark prior to kicking her over)
    * A few knives
    *Her drive way
    * Garden shed
    *And even at one stage her sink even got used to clean out parts of the motor
    * And as you can see her backyard has seen better days after Ian and Nathan had fun in a digger a few weekends ago.

[​IMG]

So thats day one I am sure that it will be the start of many days to come on the Kombi of Hope
    Cheers.
    Verity and Megan

5. Archeress

Archeress Guest

well done guys and gals.....keep it up...looks pretty clean on the inside from the pics you have put up. soo many are behind you..:)

6. jackhickling

jackhickling Member

Good on you guys!
    Best of luck with it all :)

7. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

What a great start to the Kombi of Hope resto thread, girls. That's excellent. :)

I can't wait to see what's planned for this van. It should be very exciting.

One thing though, because it started life as a panel van, are you going to take it back to original specs and have metal put back into the sides in place of the post-production fitted windows? I'm only asking 'cause I'm a huge fan of panels and it's a shame when they get their sides hacked out for windows.

Looking forward to the next installment. :)

Julian.

8. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Wow....great work,you've made a huge difference already.
    Steve

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Judging by that progress it is looking good for a kombi club outing very shortly in a fully restored condition.

At least you found no serious unpleasant surprises.

Very healthy bus for its age.

Cheers,

Scott

10. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

So the journey has begun - excellent news.

Rev.

11. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Good work guys...looking forward to seeing progress pics....
    Should be just beautiful when your finished....& you chose the BEST colour to paint it!!!....;)
    Judy

12. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

My beautiful friends Megan and Nathan - top job of posting the resto thread. We'll know whose job that is from now on!! :lol:

Sorry Julian :( - I don't think we're planning on restoring her to a panel van. She's had the roof hacked off (and I mean hacked) to be converted to a camper too and it'd just be too big a job to restore her to original, much as we'd like to. We are really keen to get her on the road fighting back against cancer so I think the purists in us will have to settle for that instead.

Once upon a time there was a beautiful panel van. She was dusky orange, sleek and her complete sides glowed in the sunshine. One day, the evil Sir Caravelle came and hacked off her long orange roof and scarred her beautiful sides. He cast a wicked spell on the little Kombi that lasted for 10 years - no-one would love her or care for her if he had his wicked way :(

The orange kombi was very sad for many years and hid her ugliness away in a leafy driveway until one day some crazy princesses arrived and whisked her off into a mad adventure.

They drove her home to a blasted heath where no grass grew but was filled with a sense of hope and the sound of kids' laughter. Gradually the little orange kombi was transformed into a stunning, purple eye catching, good witch of a kombi.

The local peasants rallied and good wishes and parts abounded. Friendships were formed and everyone knew that the goodwill had lifted the curse of the evil Sir Caravelle.

Soon the Kombi of Hope was driving proudly round the Hunter waving her magic wand and curing people from cancer.:heart:

The fairytale transformation was complete.

THE END

Verity xxx

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  13. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

That's cool Verity. I was just wondering, that's all. :)

Regardless though, from the concept pics that Craig's whipped up for you guys, the KoH is going to look like one schmick piece of kit. I can't wait to see it out and about spreading the good message for an oh-so-needed cause.

14. Mickldo

Mickldo New Member

Looks like you have a good base to start with and a good team there to get the job done.

Have fun with the rebuild and good luck with the whole project.

15. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Great work ladies!..... (and guys!)

Good to see the Kombi of Hope is on it's way.

16. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

What lovely husbands you both have to get into it with you. Way to go girlfriends. KOH looks pretty damn clean and tidy, so here's hoping things will continue to be as easy to get yuo up and running ASAP. :D

17. Damo

Damo New Member

Nice one.No mean feat removing all the interior in such a short time,and no rust!Excellent.
    Cheers
    Damo

18. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

Looks really good naked...well done guys and good luck with your resto...

19. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

It's amazing how much room there is when you remove everything!
    We are still deciding as to what we will do inside.We are going to put the original sink and fridge back in so that when we are out and about people can come in and have a cuppa and a chat.
    Yes we are lucky enough to have husbands that put up with our mad ideas and run with them too.:p
    We will you updated as i think it's going to put on stands soon the husbands have plans for us to be painting the underneath.....will keep you posted should be interesting:D
    Meg

20. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

Good luck with the build, good to see people chipping in!