1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well... it's goodbye from me :(

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by Chidori, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

So, after about 8 years of Kombi ownership, hundreds of posts on this forum, endless trips on the back of a tow truck (too many to recall), thousands of dollars spent, many many new skills learnt and a million memories made - I sold my Kombi on the weekend.

The whole time I owned the van was spent making it mechanically perfect. Sadly, the dream of ever having it painted and finished the way that I wanted it and the body ended up looking a little worse for wear as a result with patchy paint, rusty bits and just not great.

I'm pretty proud that the comment from the VW mechanic who did the pre-purchase inspection for the new owner commented "you wouldn't think much of it to look at it, but it's certainly one of the best steering, well maintained van's that I have had in my shop".

Given the years that I was chasing overheating problems and steering issues on the van - I was pretty happy that I managed to iron them all out. Mostly with help from you guys and in the end with very little help from the mechanics who placed way too much trust in, in the beginning. The best thing I ever did was to learn how to work on the van myself.

I wasn't feeling sad at all about the kombi going to a new owner - until i logged onto this forum just now and remembered all of the trips that I wanted to do in the kombi - but never did. Mainly because we spent so much time and money chasing problems with it. Then, once it was finished and mechanically sound - it unfortunately just sat around not getting used for probably a year or two. Which is why we decided to sell it.

The lovely lady who purchased the car was super excited and has a friend who works in the industry who is going to paint it and repair the minor rust for her very cheaply. I dare say, that considering the mechanical work already done on it - she will be looking at doubling the value of what she paid for it after spending just a few bucks on finishing off what I couldn't.

Thanks everybody for all of your help and advice over the years. Whilst there are heaps of VW facebook groups around now for this sort of thing - nothing really ever compares to the community of Kombi people on this forum. Everybody is so keen to offer all of their advice and knowledge without all the rubbish that comes along with those facebook pages.

I still have my Squareback - so still have my foot in the VW community, but for now - I am Kombi-less. Can't say i wouldn't buy another one - one day though.

My advice for anybody thinking of buying a kombi (from my experience) is:
    *If you're not looking at buying a high end resto - buy a van with original paint. At least you have a good chance of seeing all the faults that you are buying.
    *Get the van checked over by a reputable VW mechanic before you buy it and build a relationship with them
    *Learn to do the basics yourself. Buy the books, watch the you tube videos. Almost anybody can learn the basics and grow your confidence. Start with an oil change, changing air filters or adjusting the tappets. from there you can learn to check your timing or adjust your points. There were times I stuffed things up - like put the spark plug wires around the wrong way and couldn't start the van. I had to get it towed to a mechanic to find the problem - but hey - i learnt what not to do! ;)
    *get a RACV, RACQ, NRMA, etc membership - the best on offer. We got the van towed home from Mallacoota once. That would have been at least a couple of thousand in towing fees. We also got given a rental car and accomodation. Never ever leave home without your roadside assist!
    *Have fun! That's what it's all about, right?!?!

Thanks again guys,
    Adam

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    TeeBee, Weekender, Syncro27 and 13 others like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Sad for an era to end however spend the coin you got for the kombi on a T3 :)

Syncro27, Dapom, Kafermeister and 2 others like this.
  3. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Well written with good advice and fortunately very few people ever get over the VW experiences and often return to them after a few years as the memories keep coming back. I am pleased that it has gone to a young lady who will appreciate your work with every kombi experience including the cameraderie of the owners. Best wishes for the future.

KahunaKombi, David H, Jethro and 2 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Adam
    Sad to see you go. Hope you drop into AVD to ask questions on the square

Always enjoyed your persistence in chasing the problems

Enjoy your next pursuit.

You have another air cooled toy I believe?

KahunaKombi and Jethro like this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Lovely, parting post full of good advice that can only be learned from years of kombi ownership.
    Selling your kombi doesn’t mean you have to leave KC ;).
    Hang around, you’ve made friends here.......
    Cheers,
    Mark

grumble, David H, MAP77 and 2 others like this.
  6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Sad to hear you and your kombi have parted ways. Thanks for being a part of the forum and don't be a stranger - plenty here that don't own a kombi any more.

David H and oldman like this.
  7. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

My opinion only
    If you don't have the skills to restore a rusty, oily, bent, broken, butchered kombi (that's the general condition of something people can afford), it’s going to cost more than you expect and tears are going to flow at some point.
    I know what I'm doing (ex VW Mech), I've spent nearly $40k in parts and did everything, panel work, mechanical, block out, paint and anti rust (only thing I didn't do was media blast to bare metal, Master blast did that. Blitz is now insured for $60.6 k). So $20k for 5 year project (4 days a week, 6 hours a day, about 40 weeks a year)
    Absolute madness on my part.
    But a happy reliable Kombi owner now.

TeeBee, Elsie 76, Miss Rosie and 4 others like this.
  8. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Your post really sums up kombi (and many other cars) ownership for me. Thinking of the time, effort and cash you put in and for some reason you still have fond memories of it. I think the community is what really makes it and friends you make along the way.

It was over 10 years between my busses...... you'll be back;)

Kai, Dapom, Jethro and 3 others like this.
  9. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Adam will be back, It's in his blood

oldman likes this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Thought you had it under control? Great effort over the years and a lucky new owner. You realise you have Kombi virus in our blood. Only cure is to own a Kombi!
    Thanks for all your posts. We all learn from these journeys.

Jethro, Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks @Chidori for your post. Was really great to read. I've followed you thru your journey & learnt a bit myself. Lucky new owner but I'm with the rest. Stay around, drop in & talk VW & there is no inoculation for the Kombi virus;). All The Best.
    Cheers

Weekender, MAP77 and Jethro like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

HIVW positive

oldman and Grantus like this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Always a tough call to sell but the time does come for many :( ..... bit of a break to reinvigorate and plunge into the next adventure ;)

All the best with the next project :D

grumble likes this.