1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westy Money Pit

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by letwig, Jun 30, 2020.

1. letwig

letwig New Member

Hi Guys,

So where do I begin…I loved kombi's since I was a kid. Growing up on the surf coast, there was never a shortage of cool old dubs getting around and I knew that if I had the cash and the resources at my disposal, I would always buy one.

Few years back the search began, but what model to buy?? Splitty, nope far too expensive. Bay looks like me, had to be a lowlight, not fussy on year provided it has the small rear lights, so pre 72 it is. Then I thought it would be nice if it was a camper, so it needed to be a poptop. Westfalia looked best to the eye so I hunted one out. Low and behold, I find one on Sth Africa gumtree, but was too nervous to pull the trigger. Still regret that to this day. I find another on Sth Africa gumtree, so I launched, was clearly getting stooged, almost lost some cash but luckily bailed just in time. In the process of almost losing said cash, I made a contact. He had exactly what I was looking for, an Early Bay Westfalia so67r, only problem, it was a bare bones purchase. Shell with a roof and a few bits and bobs. What the hell. I have come this far.

Anyways, enough of the rabble… She arrived a few years back and the resto has been a slow burn. The panel work is all but complete, bar the current stumbling block hence I thought it was time to get a thread up and running. Can anyone give advice on if the rear parcel shelf panel (not sure if that’s the correct name) can be purchased or at worst, if anyone knows of a wreck one can be cut out of…? The previous owner cut (butchered) out an engine hatch and I want to repair the panel if possible. Panel beater can mold one up but if I can purchase something to save the hassle (my wallet) that would be ideal.

I’ll be sure to start uploading some pictures soon, but for now. This is what it looked like the day I took possession…

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    omelette81 likes this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Can't see the pic @letwig but welcome to the Kombi Club;) a few years ago. Show us some more pictures please:D. I'm guessing the panel area above engine??
    What's the "stumbling block"? Any post 73 wrecker will have that panel!
    @bern on here may know where to get one;).
    Cheers

3. letwig

letwig New Member

Hi David,
    I have made a few phone calls however no one appears to have the panel, either than or I am not quite explaining myself correctly.
    Yep that is correct, the panel above the engine. That would be amazing if someone has a contact.
    As for the photos, it has me snookered how to upload them correctly...what a noob haha
    pics are up @David H

4. letwig

letwig New Member

front.JPG

David H likes this.
  5. letwig

letwig New Member

6. letwig

letwig New Member

Side.JPG

Syncro27 likes this.
  7. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

8. David H

Don't think that year came with an opening panel above the engine but I could be wrong.
    Cheers

9. letwig

letwig New Member

10. letwig

letwig New Member

correct, they did not come with a cut out, the previous owner hacked one out, it looks terrible and is completely off center, hence my desire to fix. the previous owner also cut the rear wheel arches to flare them out and swapped out the rear lights to accommodate a late bay style look all of which I have repaired back to original.

11. letwig

letwig New Member

Here is the panel I am looking for. Ideally without a hatch or the spare wheel tub.

rear panel.jpg

12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Could you leave it and have a lid built over the top,like they did in later models. My 72 microbus had also been cut out by previous owner,it extents over the fuel tank. He had also made a lift up lid ,which I have left and it makes it a lot easier to work on the engine when ever it is required. I know it isn't original,but the benefits could out way the cons.

13. David H

A substantial difference in the rib pattern between your bus & the photo with the arrow (which is like my 76 bus).
    Any clues @Wayne murray ?
    Cheers

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the ribs are different between lowlight and late bay in case you want it to match.
    The hatches only fitted to type 4 motor versions.

I would strongly recommend fitting a tidy hatch as lowlights are a pain to work on motor due to the lack of hatch.
    A bigger one off type 3 often used on modified splits and the extra space is handy.

15. letwig

letwig New Member

Correct the panel pattern on a late is definitely different to the early. That photo was purely used as a reference point.
    I do intend to create a new hatch as a few mechanics all advised to keep an access point to make life easier for servicing etc.
    Ideally I would like to keep the pattern of the panel as consistent as possible.
    If push comes to shove I will make do without achieving the original look.

16. Wayne murray

Haven't taken much notice if there was any difference,if there was the later would have less ribs I take it. On my 72 the valley flat section is about 25mm wide so @David H what is you van measure. Being a cross model not sure which way VW went with that panel. Previous owner on mine used the cut out sections to make the lid and added enough material to make the lip for the lid around the outside edge.

17. Wayne murray

@letwig looks like you have a 71 model which by list below is the last year (third one on list) before they changed the floor above the engine bay,don't know what size hole is in you van.
    Still would be cheaper to find an off cut from a wreck in Australia,unless
    Mick motors 07 32668133 or das resto https://dasrestoparts.com.au/catalog/seo_sitemap/product/ have that section of rear cargo floor.
    https://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-bay-rear-shelf-repair-30x40-871-779-Top-Quality
    https://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-bay-Set-of-2-rear-shelf-repair-80x90cm-Top-Quality
    https://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-bay-rear-shelf-repair-30x40-867-771-Top-Quality

David H likes this.
  18. letwig

letwig New Member

@Wayne murray... ask and people will provide. Man those links are exactly what I'm looking for and correct, the shape is the 67-71. I have emailed to see if they make a bigger profile panel than the measurements per the link provided.
    I will also ramp up my search with wreckers in the coming days to see if I can't locate one within our borders.
    Thanks again.

David H likes this.
  19. GTI

GTI New Member

letwig likes this.
  20. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member