1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You better also have a bed for us, if my prep, similar to Chrissy & Paul’s, turns out not to work as planned...o_O

oldman likes this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

You know where we are Grant......always here
    Don’t give it a second thought...... ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus likes this.
  3. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Put some temporary shelves in the back of the kombi, used when camping to store all the bits. Easy to take in and out. When out it can be used to store the camping stuff in the garage. Secured with a couple of cable ties. Only $100 from Bunnings!

44A02A01-6C4D-4A52-A729-E7B178306F26.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2020
    melissa likes this.
  4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Replaced the radiator fan. The other one wasnt coming on and had been growling since last summer. No need to disconnect any coolant hoses, just put van up on ramps, set up a floor jack supporting a stand and radiator can be lowered (once support brackets are removed) enough to get a ratchet spanner onto the 6 bolts. Undo them and shroud and fan come away easily. Installation is reverse of above. :) IMG_2031.JPG IMG_2030.JPG

5. Grantus

Wow - Matching floor jack handle and bus! :D :p

6. oldman

Of course !
    It’s Phil’s bus !
    Wouldn’t expect anything less ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus, Luckyphil and melissa like this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Phil needs a shed;).
    Cheers

8. Grantus

Has he got another colour coded white handled one, to work on the high top T3? :rolleyes:

Luckyphil likes this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Of course;). He's professional:cool:.
    Cheers

10. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I find it amazing that Phil just dives in and tackles these jobs in the street with ramps, jacks and stands ! :eek: something my body stopped me from doing some years ago.............Respect. :)

Now, as for the noisy fan, the fan motor is not meant to be repairable, but provided its not "burnt out," with some fiddling it can be.
    The fan end is a ball bearing and is man enough to stand the test of time however, the commutator end is fitted with a oilight bronze bush which after 30+ years
    has well and truly dried out and been ground away by brush and copper dust.

The fix, straighten the staking tags on the brush endplate, remove the bearing retainer cover and discard the worn bush, felt, retainer ring.
    NTN 608ZZ ball bearing will fit the armature shaft but you will need to have an adapter ring machined to centre the bearing, replace the bearing retainer and
    motor end plate, jobs done ! :)

Most radiator fan motors will "windmill" once sufficient forward motion is reached so although the fan may not be powered its still turning and after 30+ years
    it deserves to be tired. :(

Just as a matter of interest, our T3 has always been a country vehicle and the fan has rarely been required yet the comm end bush was worn out probably
    due to "windmilling" and the original assembly lube having dried out.

grumble, Syncro27, Luckyphil and 6 others like this.
  11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

The old fan motor is now with my mechanic as he said can be fixed so not going to waste.

12. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Took Patches down to GHR motors yesterday ,finally having the steering box fitted that "restucke " rebuilt for me .thanks mate ,this is the final thing that that i deemed necessary to be done and hopefully will solve any steering issue that were present.Its been a long journey and started 13 years ago when i decided to get them to rebuild the motor which is still running as good today as it was then after the rebuild.That was followed by the gearbox then ball joints, CV joints ,shockers, electictronic ign, dizzi,and so on ,i gave up keeping a tally on the $ as all i wanted was it to be as good and reliable as i could get it.Yesterday was the final thing, and i feel i have got it where i always hoped it would be ,i have to add though, its a go van ,NOT a show van ,so if it gets a scratch so be it ,i bought it in 1991 so it has taken me 29 years to get it to this point.well its done and im happy and looking forward to Dubbo. Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    wombatventures, cbus, tintop and 2 others like this.
  13. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

When we are at home I plug the van into the solar panels on the roof of the garage, I need to do this as there is a lot of fitted devices using power.
    The other day I almost drove off without disconnecting...................brain dead again :eek:............... made this up.
    Disconnect R.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Wonty, wombatventures, TeeBee and 5 others like this.
  14. chris taylor

You would not be the only one to do this Wattie ,hate to think how tools i have lost for the same reason .

15. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I've got one on my hoist "put the poptop down dummy"
    I'm going to make one for the steering wheel like yours as I'm connected to power as well.

David H, Grantus, cbus and 2 others like this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Guess solar panels and a few sheets of iron dragging behind aren't what peeps had in mind when suggesting a small trailer with batteries to power an electric vehicle.

David H likes this.
  17. oldman

Replaced the window cranks with a pair of Ford XWs....
    I am tired of constantly replacing crap quality handles, with crap quality handles......:rolleyes:
    Seems like everything available is cast and doesn’t last (......mmm...poetry ?), so following on from someone’s suggestion in another thread, I thought I’d give these a try.
    8D01AE77-6DE0-4AAD-A7E1-DA63BF8049AA.jpeg
    I don’t mind the look of them despite being non VW....and they are infinitely stronger.
    I suppose time will tell.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    TeeBee, Grantus, Luckyphil and 2 others like this.
  18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

They do look good and to me don't look out of place ,I suggested it originally @oldman ,Did you put a longer screw in the handle? Glue in the screw cover?,which I haven't done yet.

David H and oldman like this.
  19. oldman

Ahhhh, so it was you Wayne!
    Curious thing....I replaced the passenger side regulator some years ago and it has a longer splined section than original.
    I didn’t need a longer screw on that side, however I did need to file the dome headed screw flat and countersink it into the handle to allow the cover disc to lie flat.
    The driver’s side was stock and required a longer thread, again flat head and countersunk into the handle.
    The discs that came with the cranks have a peel and stick adhesive, so easy enough to to do.
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  20. chris taylor

Hi mark i tried some that looked similar to those if those are like a heavy wire type between the fitting and the turn knob without success, finished up at upull it wrekers and found that certain older british cars had winders that were a perfect fit for the kombis "ie" Leyland p76 for instant , which i manage to get 2 off. so if you can find some older british cars you could get some you could not break if you hit them with an axe .

David H and oldman like this.