1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I know that feeling. Had a 30km return trip today, and looked at the choice - comfy auto fully aircon SAAB, or the non aircon manual Kombi.

Kombi won!

Syncro27, johnvw, oldman and 3 others like this.
  2. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Yes I know that feeling , mine had the same relief look when I took off the bull bar ... and as it’s was resting on my chest :eek:

3. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Haha, yep, always Grant ,sometimes i get really p****d off with it for one reason or another but one drive in it and im all smiles again.:) especially when someone goes past and gives you the thumbs up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    oldman likes this.
  4. chris taylor

Looks really good with out it . (My opinion only) but i am biased .maybe u could turn the roo bar into a nudge bar. Would not be hard to do.

melissa likes this.
  5. Grantus

Had a little free time this afternoon to attend to some minor issues, but nothing “picworthy”...

After fitting an electronic internal radio antenna last October, and although I’m really happy with the performance, I was less than impressed with the poor quality adhesive tape it came with, to attach it to the windscreen. The glue on the tape, doesn’t like heat or sunlight, and simply let go.....o_O

So removed all traces of it from the unit, and the glass, and then replaced it with decent 3M double sided tape;

The LH Blaupunkt door speaker, had managed to expel the holding screws, with only one left, so replaced them with a slightly larger gauge, to firmly secure it back into place;

And lastly, the handbrake cover didn’t want to sit where it was for the past 32 years, so after some gently applied heat from the trusty heat gun, persuaded it back into shape, to sit just where VW intended it to sit, when it left the factory.

Cockpit is now fully functional, and presentable! :)

Syncro27, TeeBee, oldman and 8 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Changed the ignition switch.
    Thought I starter trouble but may have been the switch.

Also finished the Redarc set up.
    Now I have 2 spares charging away.
    A deep cycle and a car battery.

Getting ready for a camp next weekend up Dungog way again.

After all that the T3 got a good wash, parked up and swapped over for the Bay.

Took that for a drive and will probably go for a good spin in that tomorrow.

Bay is looking good with it’s new windows and seals. Stan likes the Bay as he can sit in the dickie seat up front.
    Running like a dream with the 123 as well.

KahunaKombi, Syncro27, Jethro and 2 others like this.
  7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

After replacing the cracked exhaust pipe on Thursday, today I took the yellow van for run down to Albion Park to pick up a set of Corolla ZR mags for Dianne's car. She already has the factory mags but it only came with a thin spare wheel so I wanted to get the 5th mag. Toyota charges $900 for a single mag so I found an as new set of 4 for $750. Will sell 3 on so others can get rid of their crappy spare as well. Oh and the van ran as sweet as :)

grumble, Syncro27, melissa and 4 others like this.
  8. Grantus

I woke the Single Cab up from a 4 month non rego slumber, to do some paddock work tomorrow.

Sounds like a “Real Kombi”, with lifters making a very loud “Dak Dak” sound, and a plume of smoke to match! :D

oldman, Syncro27, melissa and 3 others like this.
  9. Grantus

First load ready to move....... kinda just a big motorised wheelbarrow without rego, but still being a useful workhorse. ;)

8BA0C81B-998A-4140-B5C2-E57F6891FABF.jpeg

BrianK, Ninga, oldman and 9 others like this.
  10. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

Nice looking wheelbarrow............no effort required !

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. Grantus

Was going to process these 1.5m logs before loading, but the area is in full sun from dawn until 6.45pm. :confused:

So I’ve loaded up the “barrow”, to move them to another area that is in shade, except for 12 - 2pm - much better working conditions with the expected high 30 degree temps over the next 5 days. ;)

7B7653C4-B491-4121-95E8-3898B38D76FE.jpeg

In some guises, the single cab doesn’t look familiar.......

002B5567-7836-421B-9C60-A20D23EFA83B.jpeg

wirrah, grumble, Syncro27 and 5 others like this.
  12. chris taylor

Smart move Grantus ,no sence getting a dose of sun stroke.

13. njg02

njg02 Active Member

Not all done today but plugged in new stereo. Same brand but bluetooth and usb etc. Works well. Uses phone as the screen.
    Had fun replacing diff and gearbox oil. Wheel bolts make a good 17mm hex tool.
    Got the 12v gear working; fridge, fan, some lights and usb sockets. 240v running as well.
    Cupboards finished and sink in. Pump works. Flow meter put on.
    Might make a box for the loo to go in next.

14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sheer luxury;).
    Nice progress.
    Cheers

njg02 likes this.
  15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

The 75 is going to its new home today. She has taken us to a few Bus Stops, lots of Old Bars, Tassie and was even my daily driver for a while. She is going to be restored and someone else's pride and joy.... and I could use the room ;)
    goodbye.jpg

Syncro27, wirrah, grumble and 10 others like this.
  16. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

Today, gave Bella a clean up and tweaked the timing. I just got a new timing light and after a " professional" had tuned it she coughed, spluttered and continuously dieselled on shutdown. Today the timing was set statically and tweeked on full throttle to max out at 32 advanced. She no longer acts "retarded".

micklyan, melissa and cbus like this.
  17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Replaced the engine tinware seal , adjusted the clutch cable and replaced the parking bulbs with “5 led” units.
    I can almost drive at night without headlights on now !
    All done on a rainy Saturday in my new 6x6 carport. It was a pleasure to work on a smooth, level and dry surface without worrying about approaching rain and packing/unpacking several times.:cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Elsie 76, melissa and TeeBee like this.
  18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Such luxury :D

KahunaKombi and oldman like this.
  19. Grantus

Went for a Kombi Cruise to blow the cobwebs out.

This morning:

6807FE2C-1BF8-40D7-88E2-3FE48CF6D67C.jpeg

This evening:

48318ED0-B313-47F9-83B5-49FC3B3D380A.jpeg

Now if anyone has any doubts about the reliability of a well maintained T3, for 15 hours today, to cover the 1429km, it sat 95% of the time screaming between 3800 & 4100 rpm.......and didn’t miss a beat! :)

Syncro27, Elsie 76, melissa and 5 others like this.
  20. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

campsite.jpg

Went camping for the first time in Josie - wet weekend at Seal Rocks with friends - it was great!!

TeeBee, Syncro27, Wattie and 11 others like this.