1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

30D7A2D2-FF2D-4C8F-A102-6D051EB008D3.jpeg
    400F14EB-F580-4565-9A31-AB1509E326F5.jpeg
    Gave the inside of my new Hiace some love. Trimmed the ugly plain wood panels with some nice stretch carpet. Full width bed next week

TeeBee and melissa like this.
  2. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

The bloke I bought it off had it for 5 or more years, he bought it off the girl who let the smoke pixies out of the wiring. The last rego is not known. I'm betting more than 10 years.

3. wombatventures

Got stuck in to it today. Cleaned gungy oil and crud. These are the heads.... A 65...
    image000000_09.jpg
    And a 45...
    image000000_10.jpg
    No idea.

Turned the oil screen from this...
    image000000_11.jpg
    And this...
    image000000_12.jpg
    To...
    Whoops cleaned the screen but no photo:oops:
    And this...
    image000000_14.jpg

Adjusted the tappets. Put the covers back on and managed to get the whole lump into the Notch's engine bay. Then tried to put in the torque converter bolts...
    No big hunk cut out of the block like on the other engine. Will have to loosen the bolts, slip the engine back a bit, put in the torque converter bolts and snug it all back up. That's tomorrows plan, if I get time.o_O

68BUS, KahunaKombi, Borgey and 4 others like this.
  4. wombatventures

Sunday arvo I got the torque converter bolted up. A very considerable amount of swearing was involved.
    Charged the battery up for a day or so then tried to start it. A few tries with a bit of fuel down the carbs. Seemed to want to fire but just not quite there.
    Yesterday I put some fuel down the fuel line and a bit in the carbs. A long go at the starter and she seemed ready to go but not quite.
    For some reason I crawled underneath and on doing a noticed the empty fuel filter!
    Doh!:confused:
    Fuel in this morning. Bit in the carbs, crank and woohoo! She's alive. :)
    Ran her for a few minutes. Switched off. Dropped the sludgy black oil. Filled up with new oil and Wynn's engine flush. Ran it for half an hour. Dropped the new oil which is now black as pitch.
    Topped up with more new oil.
    Will take it for a small run today.:cool:

TeeBee, melissa, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Washed my VW Up! Had it for just on a year now and love it. Great car to drive and in fact I use it as my daily drive. Only down side is the risk of your fuel going stale as it uses hardly any. I fill it up once a month if it needs it or not :)

6. wombatventures

All ancillaries reconnected. Who new there were so many differences from a 71 notch to a 72 square! :rolleyes: I've had to write copious notes so I can put the right bits back later!
    Put some fuel in and drove out to the tunnel and back, about 8 km total. Dropped the second lot of new oil out....
    image000000_17.jpg
    How black is that for half hour of run time!
    Mind you this is the second time the filter has been out...
    image000000_15.jpg
    Engine flush really does!
    And this time I'll prove I cleaned it. ..
    image000000_16.jpg
    So I've proved she'll get to oneten, no weird noises and only needs a slight tune! Which I think is mostly just a tweek of the timing. 4 months of rest, the car that is, we think the engine has been resting for about 12 years.
    Now where is that Kombi.... I know I parked it here somewhere! ;)

Marzy, KahunaKombi, David H and 2 others like this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Re the 65 & 45 ..... if you could read the part numbers above the emblem and those numbers it would open up searches about them :rolleyes:;)

wombatventures likes this.
  8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

mounted a fold out table on the side of the sprinter...one less thing to store inside and quicker to set up IMG_20190819_133216.jpg

9. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

mounted some brackets on the side of the sprinter to accept this clothes airer - doesn't take up much room in the van when not in use (10cm x 75cm)

IMG_20190826_145650.jpg

10. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

slid underneath the holden and sprayed penetrating oil here and there

next.jpg

Ninga, BrianK, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I see it hasn’t moved.........yet! :rolleyes:

12. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've surprised myself and have been able to leave it as 'driveway art' over winter.

Well, I couldn't help myself and had to get it running :) and rock it with the gears between two sets of bricks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  13. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Slip of the finger mark,

tintop and oldman like this.
  14. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yeah, unlike old grey's post 3 years ago, I can't claim that EK is alphabetically close to VW - but anyway that was before the thread title was changed

btw, early Holden 'letters' were coded to the planned release year for the model
    B=9, C=8, D=7, E=6, F=5, G=4, H=3, I (not used because it looked like a 1), J=2, K=1

So even though the EK in the picture was made in 62, the model's planned release year was 61...and like VWs, in some models there were only minor changes (eg. the grill and indicators on that EK in the pic are off an FB)

- most people wouldn't spot it - it's like spotting a 77 engine lid on a Kombi -

15. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Ahh FB/EK I remember them well, worked for Arrow Taxi back in the day when they were newish....................the only make that carried its lubricating oil on the outside of the engine :eek: plus in taxi service you couldn't keep king pins, uni joints, clutches or gearboxes in them :mad: probably the worse design feature from a drivers point of view big fellas would bash their kneecap getting in on the intruding corner of the "wrap round" windscreen and for little fellas, they had to look through the steering wheel to see ahead.:D

The only decent cab of the day was the Valiant, they were "bulletproof but too expensive for taxi service compared to the Holden, we only had two in the fleet.

TeeBee and Grantus like this.
  16. David H

David H Well-Known Member

You've excelled with those comments Wattie:D. From a 'little fella' whom drove one;).
    Cheers

17. wombatventures

New white wall inserts! :p.. ...
    image000000_18.jpg

Now I need new dress rings. Lost one a while back, I've got 9 or more 14 inch ones but only three 15 inch ones. Will order a new set.

18. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Put floating floor in the sprinter, (and 'enduro' foam in the couch/bed cushions) and am in Jervis Bay trying out the latest mods IMG_20190905_115452.jpg IMG_20190907_102513_787.jpg

TeeBee, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Took the plunge and replaced the front badge on the Beetle. I have been putting it off and trying to work up the courage.
    badge1.jpg badge2.jpg badge 3.jpg badge4.jpg badge5.jpg badge6.jpg badge7.jpg badge8.jpg

Grantus, TeeBee, David H and 2 others like this.
  20. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Now I have to try the rear one - they are different as they are on a swivel that rotates out of the way to show the boot release.