1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Thats very cool!

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Whoops :rolleyes:
    They are small :D

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice ;) - you forget how small they were until you see one on the road :eek: ..... we have a few CooperS around the area :D

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a few Coopers around here too.....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not referencing these Coopers:
    upload_2021-5-11_7-1-49.jpeg

6. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

A barrel maker in a Mini drinking beer?:eek:

oldman likes this.
  7. Wiz

Wiz Active Member

or on the back of the 8' x 5' trailer
    PR

8. wombatventures

Set the carbs with the carbs sync tool on Sunday. Didn't seem to make much difference on a short run but will be interesting to see the results Friday when we head off for the Copper Coast Classic Cavalcade.

9. njg02

njg02 Active Member

Polished the poly lenses on the Polo headlights. Worked well.
    Bought some LED globes that didn't fit. Although they are called 'Surefit'. But they sure didn't.
    At least with the polishing I can see betterer.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  10. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Big thanks to Scotty @Syncro27 for putting me onto this little beauty today which my Touareg towed from the Central Coast up to my mums property (again). Motor seized due to no oil but nothing a new motor will not fix.
    red beetle.jpg beetle1.jpg beetle2.jpg beetle3.jpg image4.jpg image5.jpg

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Its a cool little red car. As soon as I heard it was up for the taking I thought ...I bet Melissa would like this.

Sure enough - it ended up in her possession.:D

oldman, cbus, Luckyphil and 2 others like this.
  12. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

New Beetle Rescue!! This one is a manual - they have all been autos until now.

oldman and Luckyphil like this.
  13. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Came home from our very eventful trip to pick up the Blade Electron and returning via our annual RV get together at Taggerty ... won the Master Chef spoon again :cool: two in a row, very happy about that.

The silver Prius had a flat 12v battery and deeply discharged traction battery for some strange reason. Charged the 12v battery no problems, connected up the solar to charge the 200vdc traction battery, 2 amps flowing so thought it would be fine for at least an hr, 30% SOC into the 6Ah battery .......... Wrong, maybe 10 mins elapsed and "Bang shhooosh" raced outside to see flames roaring out the battery cooling vent. Emptied half the dry powder extinguisher into the air vent and start removing bit to get to the battery. A few more booms and emptied the rest through the gap under the cover plate over the traction battery where it had been blown up in the middle to leave the gap .....
    All seemed to settled down, well until I discovered Margaret had rang the local volunteer fire brigade and when they arrived the circus really started. You think by now all fire personnel would have had some training regarding electric vehicle battery fires .... but that wasn't the case with this mob.
    Fotunately I had dismantled enough to expose where the battery was, but they had no idea about the location or how to trip the safety fuse before they were about to hatchet into the battery safety shield :eek: My frantic yelling seemed to work, I dived in and pulled the safety fuse explaining that 200vdc plus will quite happily travel up a steel pry bar and show the person using it the error of their ways.
    Next they considered flooding the area with water but when I mentioned about the short straw for the sucker on the end of the hose and if they all chipped in for the funeral fund they decided against that one as well ...... but they were there and they were gunna do something gawd dammit, so they emptied a large dry chemical extinguisher into the same spot I'd emptied the little one into .... how to make a contained mess into an totally dry powder covered absolute mess ..... Then they wanted to take the cover off to expose the cells where the fire had occurred, there was that much dry powder chemical in the air you couldn't see or breath :rolleyes:
    They finally headed out to the road to have a meeting and that gave me enough time to remove the cover enough for them to see under it.
    They returned and tried to do temperature testing to see if it was still hot .... but the infra red tester doesn't work through 6 ins of dry powder :rolleyes: L finally swept a few spots clear that I hoped would satisfy them that these were potential problem areas so they could monitor that the temp was dropping, then got Margaret to sign a clearance for them to leave so I could properly assess what had happened .... at about this point the local Police officer on duty arrive and he at least was happy to accept I knew what was going on, filled out the report and life returned to sort of normal.
    The fire Chief, well self appointed "I know about this stuff young bloke" was determined the car could be rolled out from under the back verandah and wouldn't take it from me that the park pawl was electrically operated and they had just seriously compromised any chance for me to safely reconnect any of the electrics ....... They asked how else would one of these type of vehicle be moved ...... with a snatch strap and dragged away was about the only hope now or loaded onto a flat top recovery vehicle that I doubt would be able to snake its way around the house and up under the verandah to where the Prius was now disabled ......

So now we wait to see what the insurance says ..... in hind sight I should have removed the battery cover and tested the module voltages before attempting to charge it, seems only one module had died, the others were fully charged and attempting to put even more into the already full cells and modules didn't go down well :(

T1 Terry

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

WOW..............exciting times.

hope it sorts itself out

15. T1 Terry

The end to what was an exciting week with the Blade deciding it wanted to climb over the Gypsy trailer and the steel mud guards of the gypsy trailer making rather large folds in the sill rail up both side of the Blade that up until then was in near perfect condition.
    Then the bolt snapping off out of the Hayman Reese towbar and allowing the gooseneck to come out. It was dark, I didn't know it had happened and dragged it for maybe 50km or more. Ground the goose neck end off at 45*, the top of the tow hitch release handle ground to a shape edge and the links on the safety chain ground down till they were just hooks. If I hadn't been pulling hard with the Hino motorhome they probably would have slipped out as well and left the car and gypsy trailer to do its own thing :rolleyes: This happened at night between Bendigo and St Arnaud, a very bumpy section of road.

T1 Terry

16. wombatventures

Kernewek Lowender this weekend. Decided to chill on the beach for a bit. :cool:
    Resized_20210522_133456.jpeg

KahunaKombi, Wattie, melissa and 3 others like this.
  17. wombatventures

The Copper Coast Classic Cavalcade on Sunday was great. Several hundred cars, 32km, the last 2km took over an hour to get into the display area! Thank you covid check in! :mad:
    I broke my phone Saturday arvo so no photos from me and Bec managed 20 photos with not 1 VW in them!
    The hour + of crawling traffic jam caused many cars to haemorrhage coolant and oil. I thought the Notch coped pretty well.
    When we went to start up to leave the oval she was a bit obstinate. The trip home Monday ended up being slow and not so healthy, flat chat at 70-80kph and bugger all pick-up.
    So last night I went over the fluids - oil and auto trans. Sprayed some start you bastard around the carbs and balance pipes and found she idled up. Also found she was backfiring up through the carbs.
    This arvo I replaced the rubber hoses on the balance pipes, put a bit of aviation sealant between the carb spacers and manifolds then checked the tappets. Every inlet was tight!
    Adjusted up and runs sweet again. And no vacuum leaks! ;):D:):):):)
    Port Broughton 150 anniversary and show and shine this Sunday! Should be all good for another 300km run!;)

Wattie, oldman, melissa and 2 others like this.
  18. T1 Terry

Must have got warm to pull the inlet valve seats into the heads, were the exhaust clearances still ok?Port Broughton would have been a nice run, pity we are way behind the eight ball as far as work goes after loosing a week getting this cold under control. Must have been a Victorian variant, just like Melbourne visit, what should have felt bad for a few days seemed like weeks ;):rolleyes:

T1 Terry

19. wombatventures

Going by the cooked auto trans fluid I'm changing this week I'd say she got very warm!

20. wombatventures

Port Broughton Show & Shine...
    1st ever... over 100 cars!
    Resized_20210530_080847.jpeg

Resized_20210530_113025.jpeg

Resized_20210530_102443.jpeg

Wattie, tintop, melissa and 5 others like this.