1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Is the clear hose from Bunnings actually suitable for brake fluid and as a replacement for brake lines? :rolleyes:

Just asking………..

Syncro27, syncro and tintop like this.
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The stuff melts shoe soles :)

Grantus and chris taylor like this.
  3. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

If it was me I would be listening to all this advice very carefully.
    Or increase my life insurance and add funeral benefits ..:cool::confused:

oldman, Syncro27 and syncro like this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Or don't wear cheap runners :D

oldman and chris taylor like this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

…genuine brake hose can be replaced with plastic from Bunnings….?:eek:
    I wouldn’t be going down that track…
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus and syncro like this.
  6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

:p :lol: The original hose actually failed duty when exposed to brake fluid over a long period, that is why I had to replace it. The clear plastic/nylon tube does react to the brake fluid over time, it shrinks and goes stiff to a degree, meaning it requires a razor blade to cut it off the fittings after a few yrs of use.
    Brake fluid being what it is, attacks every thing other than metal, including the flexible brake hoses and the rubbers in the cyls, that is why they need to be replaced periodically.
    This plastic hose is on the low pressure feed side from the tank to the master cyls, the clutch and both halves of the brake master cyls use the same tank, just separated sections at the low level mark that supplies the clutch and each side of the brake master cyl. A leak in any one of the systems from the tank onwards won't result in a total loss from the other systems that rely on the fluid supply.

T1 Terry

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Errm…..Sorry, still not convinced! Would NOT use it on any of my vehicles, nor would I recommend anyone else to do it either…….o_O

syncro likes this.
  8. T1 Terry

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it doesn't have to match mine :lol:

T1 Terry

9. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

My baywidow has a plastic brake resivior and a plastic hose from it under the seat (where the resivior is) to the master cylinder under the vehicle
    The resivior and hose are 42 years old and in good shape. I only needed to change the seals at each end of the hose because of mechanical damage.
    Most vehicles have plastic resiviors
    By the way Terry, if you bought the clear plastic hose from Bunnings it isn't nylon, pvc more likely.

10. T1 Terry

Could be, the cardboard wrapper the hose was in went in the bin seconds after I opened the packet, SWMBO was doing a rubbish run because the garbage truck was working its way up the road :rolleyes:

There is an easy telltale if the hose leaks, it will run all over my feet while driving :eek: and the red light comes up on the dash long before the fluid level gets down to a level that would cause a problem.

T1 Terry

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What if the hose slowly dissolves on the inside and degrades the brake fluid lowering the boiling point?

This is one of my pet hates people using inappropriate products when they have no idea. eg tyre shine on seat belts, oil filters from other vehicles etc.

12. T1 Terry

Brake fluid is hydroscopic, that is why you have to change the brake fluid every 2 yrs at least. It is this water absorption that lowers the boiling point, if it did dissolve the plastic hoses, then the insides of the cyls, pipes and hoses would end up plastic lined, that would be a good thing.
    If you are concerned about the brake fluid attacking hoses, best to replace all the flexible rubber hoses every time the brake fluid is changed, because brake fluid eats the rubber hoses ... and the rubber seals, so you will need to replace all of those every fluid change.
    Dow Corning made a great silicon brakes fluid many yrs back, acted as a lubricant, didn't attack any of the rubbers and didn't absorb water ...... unfortunately they got caught poisoning the water table and shut up shop, so it's no longer available ....... no one has come up with a suitable replacement to brake fluid since ......

Citroen used the same hydraulic fluid as the suspension for their braking system for many yrs, the pressure pump provided the required max braking pressure and that could be modulated to avoid wheel lock up yrs before ABS became a thing in the average vehicle ..... the down side was, if a suspension line was damaged, the fluid pumped out very quickly and the suspension dropped and the brakes no longer worked :eek: So that idea was eventually canned I believe.

The hose with the nylon webbing between the two layers isn't suitable for petrol, oil or brake fluid, yet you still see it used a lot. Oil hose and fuel isn't suitable for use with brake fluid, no idea how much of that I've had to change out for rego inspection back in the mechanic days in NSW, the inner layer collapses and because the hose is actually under vacuum when attempting to replenish the fluid in the master cyls, the brake pedal suddenly drops and the hydraulic clutch stops working properly .... but only intermittently ...... now that is dangerous

T1 Terry

13. njg02

njg02 Active Member

Nice set of numbers for the Polo. 10 years and still going strong.
    New discs and strut tops and bearings.
    Hopefully another 10years of low maintenance.
    upload_2021-12-6_11-3-59.png

melissa and Barry like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Whoa @njg02 thats a lot of km’s!!

njg02 likes this.
  15. njg02

njg02 Active Member

Yes it's a few. Just on 100km each way to work. ~1200km per tank on average.

16. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

New seat covers for the Golf Mk3.

10 years ago it got expensive 'clean sheep coloured' ones ... this time a cheaper version

IMG_20211206_185744.jpg

17. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Finally put the rebuilt auto trans back on the motor and into the Notch. Not actually hooked up to run yet due to taking 2 1/2 hours to get the 3 bolts into the torque converter through the flex plate. The Bast#£$ who designed this is probably cringing in his grave after the things I said about him! I know I've done it a few times but every time seems harder!

David H likes this.
  18. T1 Terry

Finally got around to fitting the worm clamps to the plastic hoses at the m/cyl ends and this solved the leak .... happy chappy now .... just have to put the the dash back together, remove the seats and the brake fluid soaked carpet now

T1 Terry

19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Probably his laughing at you. :D

wombatventures likes this.
  20. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Is it as difficult to do on an auto Kombi? I'm thinking of putting studs in the torque converter and working out if I can get a nut on them. The space to line up a bolt and get it started in the thread is bloody ridiculous!