1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is "performance"

Discussion in 'Performance' started by kombiwhisperer, Mar 23, 2012.

1. kombiwhisperer

kombiwhisperer Member

Is high performance mean you're engine has to run like a billy goat with fleas, or are we after the best power delivery and economy possible from an original motor:cool:

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Different things to different people. High torque; Lots of power; High rev:
    Depends if you want to tow a boat or do the quarter mile fast.
    Economy does not usually enter into high performance discussions.
    So, what do you want??

3. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

The magic triangle. From three options: cheap, fast, reliable - pick any two.

Performance is about the magic third option not disappearing when you choose the other two.

4. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

The magic triangle, Dingo...

What about the Bermuda Triangle? Beware, many Kombis have disappeared mysteriously.... :lol:

Or, the Golden Triangle! Where many Kombis (actually Kombi owners - dare I say 'Hippies') have disappeared in a drug fugue....

Performance - some like it stock, some like it hot....

This section of the forum is for those who like the chilli..... :p

5. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Big revs and lots a grunt, that's the name of this game, who cares about the price of 98 octane fuels......

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Now you sound like you have a T3! :eek:

:lol:

7. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

I wouldn't change much about the build of my 2165cc if I had my time over again.
    Driveability with power is the mark for a daily drive.
    If it is a weekend "cruiser", then in my books you can go a little crazier with cam and compression to bring power up into the higher rpm bracket.

8. Carter

Carter Member

performance is what makes VW purists feel ill....

he he.

think this forum should be more about performance performance, not good economy and driveability....

just my two bobs worth

9. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

:lol: nah.... to many hippies here for dirty big engines :lol: :heart: :D

10. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

What I would really like to do is go methanol and turbo on the ute ... mmmmm

11. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Yup, i've got long term plans for a freshen up and a T3 turbo, going to the US next June and will have a good look around the shows then for one.

12. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

My life is not aligning with this, but I want a madass type 1 in a lowlight camper some day. Is this thread about what I want? Well it should be dammit.

13. KombiMadness

Wanting performance for your VW isn't just about being a purist (or Hippy).

It's about having serious dollars to spare! When you start talking turbos, etc you start talking big dollar language! Especially here in Australia.

You can get a 2007cc type 1 turnkey (a real turnkey) from guys like Steve @ Wolfgang who build great engines that last (as opposed to all the Samba ads from engine builders who say 'turnkey' but they don't include carbies, manifold, balancing, exhaust, etc AND who use second hand heads, etc and they won't last!) for 5K aussie - half what you'd pay in Oz.

Of course, a 2007cc is just getting luke warm for what you want Dak Dak :lol: ..... but, I'd be happy with it :)

14. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

dingostrategy ... that is exactly what this is about, because sometimes our dreams do come true :)

15. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

You can buy turn key strokers from the US for $6500 , built by Chico at CP racing. Everythings new, not sure of the cost to your door but it's bloody good value.

16. In the throws of building a 2700cc type 4 for my bus. ATM its a midly modified 2.0 which has enough poke to scare most on here but I want more!! My 2.0 is probably more economical than most stockos on here as nicer to drive.

105.07mm bore and 78mm stroker. More comp and a lot of headwork, cam, rockers and all the necessary fruit to go fast AND reliable!! After all it's a type 4 not a type 1!!!

17. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Sounds fast, 2.7 turbo'ed is the go..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  18. KombiMadness

I've seen a few of Wayne Penrose's twin turboed type 4's at his shop..... look bloody awesome and I'm sure they go like the clappers!

19. KombiMadness

He seems to have a pretty good rep from what I've read about him and his motors...

20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Plus, parts are a hell of a lot cheaper there than here.