1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What made you happy today....?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oldman, Apr 30, 2020.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Chris, yes....these blades will be well treated ! Rare earth magnets are 5hitloads stronger than “normal “ magnets.
    There is a scientific reason......but that is waaaaay above my pay scale ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

chris taylor and Grantus like this.
  2. oldman

“Free.....” ? Nah...it’ll be another 3 , 10 hour days in the forge before I’ll see the steak knives.....maybe more.
    BUT, the sweat and experience is well worth it.
    Best short course I’ve ever done.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I knew there HAD to be a purpose for Nescafé 43............. you certainly wouldn’t actually drink the stuff! :confused:

TeeBee likes this.
  4. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hey Mark,

I’ve used lots of different knife brands, and knife types, over more than thirty years in kitchens. I always seem to gravitate towards Wusthof. Twenty six centimetre chef’s knife is my weapon of choice. A paring and boning knife and a steel and a tea towel to wrap them in is all I’ve ever really needed. Why I ask about steel grades is the molybdenum used in the Wusthof knives makes them difficult, well not that bad, to sharpen on a stone. What’s the go with the Japanese wet stones? I’m familiar with wet and dry sharpening. The beauty of a well balanced, sharp knife is something to behold......imagine a chippy with blunt chisels!

AJD

5. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Damascus steel?
    I doubt it - this is Damascus steel

DSCN5686_001.JPG

DSCN5687_001.JPG

6. oldman

Why doubt it ?
    Damascus steel is the term used by blade smiths to describes the heat welding of layers of steel.
    The more you fold and forge, the more layers you end up with.
    I never claimed they were blades from Damascus.......:rolleyes:
    Nice blade by the way.....;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

"No one has replicated the original method of making Damascus steel because it was cast from wootz, a type of steel originally made in India over two thousand years ago. India began producing wootz well before the birth of Christ, but the weapons and other items made from wootz became truly popular in the 3rd and 4th century as trade items sold in the city of Damascus, in what is modern Syria. The techniques for making wootz were lost in the 1700s, so the source material for Damascus steel was lost. Although a great deal of research and reverse engineering has tried to replicate cast Damascus steel, no one has successfully cast a similar material."

8. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

It's actually a dull edge - a ceremonial sword my great granfather was presented with after, depending on which way you interpret the history, he either lead a revolution against the government in Hungary, or attacked a post office while drunk.
    His supporters presented him with the sword after the event, because he had been in the army and after the failed attack, he was sacked from the army, or whatever they did back then, and they took away his sword.
    He emigrated to Australia, was somehow a geologist as well, and was responsible for discovering large deposits of various ores in Western Australia, without actually gaining any wealth from it. Or passing any on to us.
    The sword was meant to be passed on to the eldest son in each generation, but caused a split in the about 6 members of our family in Australia when my grandfather's older brother ran away from home, and it was passed on to the younger brother.
    This split meant half of the maybe 10 Gertzels in Australia did not talk to the other half for maybe 60 years.
    My father, the only son of the younger brother, has passed it on to me before his death as it has been hidden in the back of the wardrobe for the last 50 years.
    I have no idea what to do with it - I would like it displayed in some sort of Hungarian museum, but really have no idea where to start to look for a suitable organisation.
    But the blade is Damascus steel, probably centuries old - I thought it was 1600s, but might be older. The handle and sheath if that is what it is called is late 19th century. Scabbard maybe.
    It is currently under my bed, but don't tell anyone....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  9. oldman

Wonderful provenance.......and yes, it most definately should be on display in a museum.
    Get in touch with a major museum and get it out there for others to appreciate......it’s too beautiful to be sitting under your bed !!........and the case is a work of art in itself.
    Could be worth contacting a Hungarian consulate for advice ?
    Cheers,
    Mark

chris taylor likes this.
  10. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

What has held me back is it is a balance of getting it out on display, and losing control of the sword.
    I have two daughters, so the eldest son thing isn't a problem, and we are the last of the line, Gertzel family wise.
    It needs to be out there, and if anyone has any suggestions, please comment.
    And Gertzel was originally Goectel, with umlas in there over the e, pronounced the same.

11. oldman

Hey Andrew....I have a set of Wusthof knives too.......bought them a very long time ago for my wife who taught cooking for a long time before a career change....they are a great kitchen knife I reckon. I have 3 grades of Suehiro water stones...1600, 5,000 and 6,000 for finishing. Basically they must be soaked in water for 30 min. before use.The water acts as a lubricant and with a slow trickle on the stone when sharpening will transform a knife. The Wusthofs get an annual sharpen at this time of year and only really need a steel in between uses.
    Oh, and unfortunately there are plenty of chippies that think that a new chisel is sharp.....I haven’t seen a stock production chisel yet, that doesn’t need at least 20 minutes of honing before it is ready for use....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus likes this.
  12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Impressed Mark. Carols son Jeff has a forge set up here and he makes all sorts of bits and pieces including blades. I've seen what is involved and admire your workmanship.

oldman likes this.
  13. oldman

Thanks Al.
    The problem with doing a course like that, is that I’m now looking at forge patterns, anvils etc. and I don’t really have anywhere to put them.....sigh :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

cbus likes this.
  14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice work/project @oldman & great diversion/therapy way to finish the year:).
    Now back to the concrete slab out the front for the new year;):p to fit the new purchases of anvil etc!
    Merry Christmas
    Cheers

15. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Happy - I like sharp too
    machette_0.00.00.05.jpg swords_0.00.05.13.jpg sickles_0.00.03.09.jpg

Merry Christmas

Patrick

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

People who get off track on threads :rolleyes:
    :D

Nozza.
    Maybe pass it on to one of your daughter's if they appreciate the historic connection.

I would be careful putting in in the hands of paper pushers who may just leave it in storage or just a personal coup for brownie points.
    Needs to be appreciated.

oldman likes this.
  17. Titch

Titch Active Member

"What made me happy today!" At the age of four score and soon to be plus five this morning I did awake and gingerly and slowly rolled out of bed managed to get my feet on the floor and with no little effort stood up stretched and walked out to a brisk morning breeze. Gotta love it after all these years!

TeeBee, Alpal, oldman and 4 others like this.
  18. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Gold Titch:). May you have a lot more:D.
    Cheers

Alpal likes this.
  19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

If anyone is interested & you can find the show "Forged in Fire" you'll appreciate what's involved ;) ..... admire what they produce :D.

Wayne murray likes this.
  20. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

You probably have a front lawn and garden that is not being used. Just the spot and Sue won't mind?

oldman likes this.