1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What made you happy today....?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oldman, Apr 30, 2020.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that refunds from registration are considerably less than a strict pro-rata calculation so don't let insurance " deem" a pro rata calculation.

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

The stamp duty portion is non-refundable. That goes straight to government coffers.

chris taylor likes this.
  3. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Thanks, now I've looked at replacement '06 units in similar condition with the full leather interior .... $10,000 plus ... so the $6500 market value they are offering doesn't cut it either ..... I fell this is going to get real dirty, real fast.

T1 Terry

chris taylor likes this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If no papers signed it's all arguable.

5. T1 Terry

No idea how this new Covid safe set up works where you do it all on line. We haven't actually finished filling in or submitted the acceptance of the settlement offer because this was where the numbers started to change each time we answered a question ...... silly really, if they hadn't started playing silly buggers we would have accepted the $6,500 offered, but that isn't going to happen now ....
    The question is, if I don't follow through with the claim, can they still deem the vehicle a statuary write off? It's still registered at the moment and if I replace the battery and repair the few damaged wires, it would be driveable again. As a driving register-able vehicle, it is worth more than $6,500 to me.

T1 Terry

6. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

All is good until you make a claim and get an assessor who doesn't want to do his job properly.

7. T1 Terry

Wow, I just checked the SA website for what was deemed as a Statuary Write off in regards to a fire .....

A fire (whether in-cabin or external) which causes the internal and/or external paint to blister on any three of the following structural members; roof, pillars, floor pan, firewall and or structural rails/chassis shall be deemed a statutory write-off. Paint blistering on the doors and/or external panels that are designed to be detached is not sufficient for the vehicle to be classified a statutory write-off as these components can be replaced without affecting the rest of the structure.

The paint isn't even blacked anywhere, nor are any interior trim items damaged, it was all contained withing the battery and the tin covers. This mob are making up the rules as they go .... perhaps I should go the full hog and expose the whole rort in the hope a full investigation into the actions of insurance companies get under way .... THE ICAC is currently taking NRMA and its associated names to task about falsifying discounts offered, that is only the tip of the whole can of worms it appears

T1 Terry

8. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi T1, wondering if age of vehicle has anything to do with.it ????
    The older the unit the more likely they are to write it off. I hear where your coming from "re" getting ripped off but that seems to be the norm these days with insurance companies.
    I tried to get comprehensive ins on the kombi but as it was used as a daily driver ,Shannon's were the only one would do it.
    The rest did not want to ins any vehicle over a certain age ..

9. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

The announcement that the Vic lockdown restrictions will ease later this week.
    I now have access to a vehicle to continue restoration. :D
    PR

oldman, BrianK and chris taylor like this.
  10. chris taylor

I bet yr over the moon with this decision .hope it stays now .

11. T1 Terry

I think there is more at foot than age here. With the value of these vehicle so high now, I think someone might want to buy the vehicle, repair it and sell it. A dig deeper into the assessor and golly gee, he is an employee of IAG, the parent company of SGIC, the insurer ....... this is gunna get messy .... or I'll have a "what made me happy today" post later on ;):)

T1 Terry

David H and oldman like this.
  12. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

The Bank Manager might finally see her Mother's Day present...
    PR

oldman likes this.
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me of our neighbours......
    Last big storm, a large limb pierced the metal roof of their Studio....really only two roof sheets damaged plus internal plasterboard....
    Assessor comes out and says for $1000 excess payment, they can get an entire new roof, gutters and gutter guard.
    They see it as a no-brainer and pay up.
    Two weeks later the assessor turns up with 5 fellas and they do the work in about 3 hours flat.
    Turns out he contracts as an assessor to the insurance company......!
    S u r p r i s e......not !!
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. chris taylor

Hi T1 look forward to hearing or reading of your success or other wise attempt to get some sort of reconsiliation on this matter.
    Chris. T

15. T1 Terry

We are in "negotiations"with the assessor, seems he isn't too pleased with me knowing a lot more about the whole lot than he'd hoped so we are looking at a better "market value" number and sent examples of the equivalent iTech equipped '06 model with a note that the iTech option was very rare in '06 models ........:D We will see what happens, they might even decide to repair it when the see this example https://www.yarravalleytoyota.com.au/used-cars/for-sale/toyota/prius/2006/i-tech/nhw20r/1855556

T1 Terry

16. chris taylor

Stay with it mate, be nice to see them "wince ":confused:at the thought being beat at they own game.:D

17. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Experienced that also in my roof & gutter business. Contractors also acting as assessors for insurance companies & giving "their quotes" for repairs.
    Bit of a problem for the honest;).
    Cheers

oldman likes this.
  18. T1 Terry

Yeah, this one is a "What made me happy" post. revalued at $9,000 made up of $7,500 and my vehicle back that they estimated the salvage value at $1,500 .... and, they are paying the flat top tow back to our workshop and the statutory write-off has been changed to a repairable write off that will require an inspection at the next rego renewal ..... yeah, I'm a very happy camper :D

T1 Terry

cbus, Wattie, Alpal and 6 others like this.
  19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Always worth a pushback if you think it's necessary, hey.;)
    Great outcome.
    Hopefully the assessor goes skulking back into whatever hole he emerged from.
    Cheers,
    Mark

cbus, David H and grumble like this.
  20. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Great to see that you have had a win. 10 months and still arguing with another company the ass essor is just that.

KahunaKombi, oldman and Barry like this.