1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What p*sses me off thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

It would have been awful to loose those precious photos, glad you got it banc. Not so happy that you know the culprit.

Ninga likes this.
  2. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Sorry Melissa ( and Squidy )....I ave bin moore circumspect of late , however.
    Really appreciated the heartfelt responses from ewes all to Ningas dilemma. Such a bunch of rooly nice people.Empirical proof of what a bunch of beautiful people yo'all are. Glad to no yez and.....you too, Col...as well!
    ( or is it just Madonna & child in distress syndrome?)
    Quite touched to be a part of this espirits d'corps...................Me.:cool:

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

The pain!! The pain!! hahaha:rolleyes:

Ganga likes this.
  4. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

People who have no understanding of basic maths. Run up to the local Bakers delight grabbed a bag of rolls handed over a $20, for a $3 sale, the girl accidentally punched $50 into the till and then had to ask her colleague how much change she should give. I hated maths at school in fact in the later years the best part of school for me was leaving after role call, but I was around enough to pick up a bit more than the basics. What is the world coming too when a 19yo can not work out 20-3?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    ruby6689 likes this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Could google it??

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Hand over $20, get rolls and $47 change....:)

At that rate, you'll have a different sales person in no time........;)

7. Ganga

Ganga Active Member

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

What I would have told her but then if she couldn't work out $20-$3=$17 how can she work out what makes up $17. :eek:

9. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I guess this poses the question are the schools failing or are the parents?
    That's Primary school level maths and shes has gotten this far with out it?

On another note: I miss my Kombi :(

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    ruby6689 likes this.
  10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Nath., the problem lies squarely with the perceived "need" for kids to be tech. savvy.
    The introduction of tablets etc. is now common place in kindergartens.........:confused:

I have seen a steady decline in literacy & numeracy skills with my students, as a result of tablets & laptops being used at schools.
    Basically the kids feel that they don't need to write, spell or carry out basic arithmetic processes, cause the computer.... "will do it for them". (sic)
    Issue for me is that the written word is a core communication tool on a building site.......... site instructions etc.
    The ability to recognise that an answer to a calculation is correct, is fundamental to the construction process.
    Calculators & computers do not provide incorrect answers, however operaters can, & do, input incorrect sequences & numbers...
    If they cannot approximate what the answer should be, potentially espensive mistakes will be made.

Intersesting that the Govt. is now wanting to re-introduce handwriting & basic maths at school again............
    ( didn't take long............o_O)

Cheers,
    Mark

Serious85 and ruby6689 like this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

totally agree with Mark.
    the failure is primarily with school system as the shiny bums in the stratospheric departments of education and politics dictate the latest trendy concept to brainwash kids without regard for the basics.
    Not teachers faults. They get dumped with a container load of trash that MUST be delivered/filled out to show some twit in high places that the latest bright idea has been delivered to justify the shiny bums existence[and exorbitant salary].

Strange after 'how many scores of years ' of education 'improvements', the system cant deliver what it used to.

Serious85 likes this.
  12. Alpal

Stop agreeing. This is the 'What p*sses me off' thread. Just whinging please..

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

ok

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nah that'd PMO

15. Alpal

Hate acronyms!! OKAY!! P*ssses me of!! Kranky old bastard!!!

ruby6689 likes this.
  16. ruby6689

Neighbours who decide to do a hazard reduction burn and not advise you. I can home at 4.30pm yesterday to find my fence line on fire, post and trees for about 100mtrs up my drive. As a lot of you know I am boarded by an indigenous sacred sight so it's care comes under a Government funded project. There was two 4x4's parked at the front of our drive but no one in sight so I went and put my groceries away but got a bit concerned when I could hear the crackling of fire from the house so went to investigate. The wind had whipped up and the fire had jumped the fire break line (a whipper snipped area 4 foot wide) and was up in the trees heading our way. It was 5pm and the 4x4's had left :eek:
    I called out local brigade who asked me to just monitor it and call 000 if it got out of hand. I also called Andy to come home ASAP.
    Luckily the wind dropped and we were OK. It was still about 300 mtrs from our house.
    What really pi**es me off is that our fence line is ruined, I took photos of the posts burning. The only area that burnt in the planned burn area was the perimeter that was cut as the long cut grass was dry and provided perfect fuel. The area inside is almost untouched! I cannot believe that we were not advised AGAIN, this has happened several times over the years and our home was the front page of the newspaper last time as we had to be evacuated.:mad:
    Needless to say I am not happy and a few phone calls will be made today. I am just about to walk the fence line to see the resultant damage in daylight.

Squidy and Ganga like this.
  17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

you mean the sacred site that's full of lantana and car wrecks and skillfully burned with fourty five thousand years of accumulated knowledge ??
    doesn't need fences ? :rolleyes:

18. ruby6689

lol that just about sums it up.
    I went and spoke to those responsible this morning and were told that they knocked on my door yesterday but I was not home, the law states 24 hours notice and I was home during this time. Apparently they are going to repair the fence and have now promised to inform us by email/phone well before any further burning off happens. They have also said that the accumulated dumped vehicles/ rubbish is going to be removed and the illegal residents will be moved on. I did state that I have no issue what so ever with whoever is living there but would appreciate the front of the property being cleared of the dumped caravan, 4x4 etc and fix the sign that has been half fallen down for several years as it needs 4 bolts to fix.

Grantus and Ganga like this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

no chance of any splits or sambas hidden in the undergrowth ??? :)

20. ruby6689

I wish.