1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What wire is this...

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Ian and Shelley, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Have been having a dig around and found the engine bay heater fan is connected via a blue wire from fan to a greenish and yellow wire that then runs into the main wiring loom from rear to front..

The wires also have a blue wire from oil pressure sender that joins at same wiring loom thing. But goes to a different dark green wire...

Where does or should the fan green yellow wire arrive in the front..

How should the rear fan switch be connected ..currently fan not operating and no switch in dash..

Thanks Ian

rps20190821_164128.jpg

rps20190821_164053.jpg

rps20190821_164036.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2019
  2. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

The switch is in the control lever on the dash. Is the relay still on the fan mounting bracket? The control lever joins the earth contact and activates the fan relay, unfortunately the wiring looks fairly shonky perhaps to bypass the relay but who knows.

David H likes this.
  3. Ian and Shelley

Hi..

The relay has been removed so I guess this is a make do bodged repair....

Will look at relay replacement...

4. grumble

Ian I should have a relay if you want one, let me know as I will just have to check to ensure that Grant's "boogie man" hasn't been in the shed.

Grantus likes this.
  5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

:D It’s not MY boogie man........ I think he’s yours, as he keeps frequenting YOUR shed! :p

grumble likes this.
  6. Ian and Shelley

Thank you...

If you find a relay please let me know

Greatly appreciated !

Thank you

7. grumble

I thought he must have come up from Canberra because it was too cold, dark and too many politicians down there.o_O

David H likes this.
  8. grumble

Ian I am on it I will see if I can test it tomorrow, if no good I will for the 2nd unit. ( Grant the boogy was asleep Mate);)

Grantus and David H like this.
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

He seems to only knock off those T3 parts we all need.....:(

10. grumble

I found a few new T3 & T4 parts in there that he missed, when I get time I will post some of them.:):):)

David H and Grantus like this.
  11. grumble

Ian I have a relay, I connected it up, relay kicks in and powers the motor wire so it is a matter of wiring it up to the vehicle loom and Bob's your Uncle. The diagram in the manual is a little hard to understand but as I see it- When the dash lever is activated the relay coil terminals A & 31 close the relay, A is fed from the voltage regulator blue wire and 31 goes to earth through the dash lever. M (red wire) supplies power to the relay (through an in line fuse) from the main terminal on the starter motor and J & B are linked together to feed power through the double contact relay to the fan motor via the yellow/black wire, the other wire on the fan goes to earth.

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  12. Ian and Shelley

Thank you !!!

I will take a closer lok at the heat Lever under the dash, Not really sure its wired up to anything???

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  13. grumble

Ian it does not look like a switch- there is a wire to the fitting and the lever closes the contact to earth as it goes down, I will try to find the dash fitting and if so post a pic unless someone else can but it is hard upside down trying to find something when you don't know what you are looking for. From memory i used to remove the cluster (saves the back).

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  14. Ian and Shelley

Thanks again

I will have a dig around tomorrow to see what I cam see....If it ever stops raining !