1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheel squeaking

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by oceandreams66, Jul 16, 2009.

1. oceandreams66

oceandreams66 New Member

Hi all,
    am having a squeaking noise that starts off slow and increases as speed increases so i'm presuming it has something to do with tyre rotation. have had my mechanic look at it twice and he never seems to hear it. It doesn't happen 100% of the time and sometimes it's really loud, others not. Sometimes it will happen within a few minutes of driving, then disappear only to return later. Sometimes i've driven for 20 minutes down the highway only to have the squeak appear when i slow down (or it may have been there but moving so fast, i can't hear it!?) i'm trying to get a pattern sorted but it's not being too helpful. i know i'm not hearing things as my husband and kids have heard it too. Any suggestions? Oh, also, the squeak ALWAYS disappears when the brakes are applied. it will come back as soon as the brakes are released.

2. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I would start by taking the rear brake drums off and giving the shoes, clips,springs a good clean down with some brake cleaner.( Available at any auto store).

Re assemble and test drive.

3. oceandreams66

oceandreams66 New Member

i'll double check but i'm pretty sure he did something like that the last time she was at the mechanics (only picked her up Tuesday), thinking it would fix the problem but it didn't. he definitely cleaned some part of the brakes. any other suggestions?

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Its not coming from the dash area?

5. oceandreams66

oceandreams66 New Member

Pretty sure it's coming from wheels, you hear it better when you put the windows down, not sure but thought it was front left but could be back left. seems to be from the left side though. i'll have a better listen tomorrow and see if i can pin point it. I got a new stereo system so i can drown it out at least :)

6. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Okiday.
    Will wait for more clues...... :D

7. Dr_Jones

Dr_Jones New Member

think i have the same problem since we replaced my ball jionts,tie rod.. all that gear.. my front wheel(s) squeek.. drives me nuts.. i thought it may be the speedo cable.. but no..

8. oceandreams66

oceandreams66 New Member

did you ever solve the problem? or find out what it was?

9. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

A wheel bearing starting to go bad will make a squeaking sound occasionally, changing to a more grinding sort of sound - as if many small broken pieces of metal were being mashed around in a confined space by an unstoppable force, which is what happens as the bearing disintegrates. Basically if the bearing makes any sound at all then it is already pretty much too late to fix it and it may require replacement. Brakes are a good thing to check first obviously but if nothing found there then maybe have a look at the bearing. A pain to get apart but can be roughly checked if the back is jacked up and you grab tyre at 3 and 9 o'clock and do the pushing and pulling routine. Doesn't work so well at the front because of the steering but rear wheel shouldn't have any play here. If there is enough play that it feels obvious then bearing damage would be a prime candidate for your little mystery sound!.

10. did you say he did something to the rear brakes?? My guess is the brake springs that hold the shoes are on backwards and are rubbing on the hub. that causes a definate squeak.

Other thing that can squeak is a loose rear hub floggin on the spline which if bad enough will cause the backing plate to touch the drum.

11. stew dog

stew dog New Member

I had a similar problem on a golf i owned could not figure out what it was. till one day i changed the front disks and pads. chatting to a mech, he told me that what some times happens is that the disc warps after manny manny years and as the pad runs on it it pushes the pad in and out coursing it to squeak. in bad cases you can feel a shudder under braking. needless to say once i changed every thing the squeak stopped.

hope this helps :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009