1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you keep your fire extinguisher?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by emby, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good point Jono, and "probably not" is the answer.... that's why you have a mobile with 000, but it's gonna be a shell, by the time they arrive..:(

Unless you invest in the full auto extinguishing system for the engine bay.....

There is another concise thread about these systems.

2. froger

froger Member

A point to mention here is the age of some of these extinguishers we hang onto. A mate had a fire on the highway late at night near home whilst going for a test run had 2 extinguishers on board and neither worked when he tried to use them after the engine bay erupted into flames , it all came down to the good old time tested method of throwing loads of dirt on the fire . Have done the dirt thing before on a car fire , it works well as it restricts the air getting to the fire .
    Obviously extinguishers have an expiry date , and maybe some could be defective , so maybe something to think about , wouldn't hurt to have them tested or updated every 12 months or so .. As a lot of us know those fires can just happen , and a vehicle goes up pretty quick when it's burning !!

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Very sound advice Froger!

Well done.

4. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

Good thinking Froger, I also had problems with my fire extinguisher when I went to use it...lucky the flames weren't that big and a bottle of mt franklin did the trick! My current (hopefully in working order) extinguisher is velcro-strapped behind the hand brake, between the two front kickpanels.

5. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Nothing too flash - but good to know they aren't too far away! I like knowing I can grab one on the way out of the driver's door... I used to keep one in the back where the spare goes but figured it could be difficult to get out if the tailgate was locked and there were flames in the area...

[​IMG]

6. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

I've got one under the passenger seat, within easy reach, and another on the side of my stove cabinet which is pretty much near the lock on the sliding door where it shuts.

Having used one or two in the past, I think they are useless unless you catch the fire reeeaaaallly early, but it's nice to know that they are there.

7. old skool

old skool New Member

Fire extinguisher didn't help me !

[​IMG]