1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does the wire go?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by GlennS, Oct 15, 2018.

1. GlennS

GlennS New Member

Hi All,

After having a new front put on my 1975 Kombi I have a few wires that have been left loose. Can you help me locate where they should go.

Photo 1. Front left near fuse box this relay has a black wire with inline fuse and spade end. Where does it go? Also there are two white wires on relay. One disappears down front floor. The other comes off relay is joined by white wire from fuse box and then has two bare ends which go to?

Photo 2. These 3 wires bundled together appear near steering column. Red, blue and black. What do they go to.

Which way does the fuse box get screwed to front? Fuses to the bottom or top?

Thanks for help.

Glenn

Attached Files:

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Can't help with the wires......
    The fuse box should be fixed in position so that the fuses face outwards.......to the person looking at them.
    Not up or down......too hard to see what's blown or not.
    Should also be a clear cover that clips into place with the fuse numbers on it.
    That way you can ensure that you have the correct fuse for the circuit it's protection.......;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. grumble

grumble Active Member

The relay is an aftermarket and could be a multitude of operations, i suggest that you trace the wire from the 87 terminal and see where it goes and the 85 7 86 terminals to see where they are connected. As oldman says the others are too vague.

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

In second photo,are the three wires you talking about have a small spade connection on the end?
    Second question :Has your dash pod have a red light on it? left hand side of fuel gauge . As I'm not sure when the Brake warning light stopped. If you have yes to the questions those three little wires go onto the brake warning light. Brake warning light should have a brown wire as well. As your Brake warning light should have 4 wires.
    Blue wire No#61
    Black wire No# 15
    red wire No # K
    Brown possibly double No# 31
    My speedo different year front and back.
    IMG_20181015_182216.jpg IMG_20181015_182359.jpg
    The relay is an added item to your bus. I don't know 100% what it is for but my guess would be for the headlight relay which takes the power directly to the lights instead of going through the switch. You have to check to see if you have a spade on a terminal with no wires and the white wire is normally associated with the lights,Black wire I have no idea as the relay is an added item if the black wire might been added to the circuit to complete the relay

David H likes this.
  5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I am not far from you so I could have a look at it if you are not in a hurry.

Grantus likes this.
  6. GlennS

GlennS New Member

That would be much appreciated. No hurry. Its taken me 8 years to get to this stage, nearly there. I will message you.

David H likes this.
  7. GlennS

GlennS New Member

Thanks Mark. Sorry a little confusing the way I wrote it. When I screw the fuse box to the body with the fuses facing me, should they be at the top or bottom facing me.

8. GlennS

GlennS New Member

Thanks Wayne. Yes I think you are right as I have the brake warning light and at present only brown wire connected. Now I need to work out which ones go where on it? The num,bers you are refering to are from which publication/wire schematic? I have the 1978 Bentley Service Manual.

9. Wayne murray

1974 Bentley. Those numbers if you can see it,which are pretty hard to see are on the brake warning light.Near each terminal you can see the numbers/letters that correspond with each wire colour. Look at Brown that you have connected see of you can find No#31 near that terminal and work from there.They are there very small.:rolleyes::eek:

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Top for the fuses. If you have the clear plastic cover that goes over the fuses it looks like this.
    P1110336.JPG
    I can already hear that all the fuses are not the right capacity for their spot:(. Should have seen them with that cigarette packet foil around them:p.
    Cheers

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It may have changed, but Phill didn’t / doesn’t have KC messaging activated.

You may want to email him to make contact:

plander@optusnet.com.au

;)

12. Wayne murray

:eek:Mmmmm:eek:o_O:rolleyes::p This not fun anymore:(:D

David H likes this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You should not have any blue ones.

David H likes this.
  14. GlennS

GlennS New Member

Thanks all that is most helpful. I will get myself one of the plastic covers with numbers.

I will email Phil. Yes I had tried using messaging, but gave me big warning sign that I had no right to be messaging Syncro.

Another couple of spare wires. Photo 3 is back of instruments. In foreground there are two grey/red wires. The one on left gos to another dash globe. The one on the right has a small spade connection but is not plugged in anywhere. Do you know where that should go?

Also at the top of photo on left you can see brown strip (think it mayhave to do with fuel gauge?) with red wire and a connection with nothing on it at the other end. The only spare wire I can find with large spade connector is a plain brown wire. Logic would have it that should be connected to it?

Again thanks everyone for your help.

Attached Files:

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Brown is earth. Multi connector in the centre is earth.

16. David H

Went and swapped them for red.
    Thanks

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Probably should have swapped them for white. There should be only one or two red and the rest should be white.

18. Wayne murray

Your grey wire with red trace are your instrument lights you should have two unless you have a clock in the far right hand side then you would have three.
    The back instrument in the middle left of instrument cluster is the other black instrument light. If there is no wires on it your double that you have on the other one,should be on the middle and the little end goes to where the double grey red trace is . What size terminal is the double grey red trace? You may be easy to swap the hole black light over.
    I can't see the other wire but on the fuel gauge there should be a Brown wire (earth)

19. Wayne murray

Question Why are they Blue? It's 25 Amp
    Red is 16 amp
    white is 8 amp
    Just a thought that they might be something wrong,:eek: or you got accessories that require a higher rated fuse.
    As syncro has mentioned above :rolleyes: two fuses should be red.

20. David H

Never noticed them before in 32 years;). Cos they have never blown:p. Never seen a blue fuse in a Kombi before. Just shows that your eye sees more when you chat with Kombi folk:D.
    I'll go and get some more whites:).
    Thanks folks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018