1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to put the oil in to fill up?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by will shelley, Feb 21, 2012.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Well that makes you ignorant.:D

(I also change my oil/filter at max 5k. Oil $60, genuine vw filter $24)

I have seen statisics on vehicle collision causes and mechanical failure is minute.
    25% of fatalities have alcohol involved. May or may not be the cause.
    25% of fatalities are not wearing seat belts. Direct cause of death.

Speed and fatigue are bs dodgy figures. I had these explained to me by the government statisticion that if the police investigators can't find anything else they just use this. On a corner = speed. Straight road = fatigue. It's a bit like the fire investigators just blame it on an electrical fault if they can't see anything else.

I do like my cars to be checked for reliability purposes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. will shelley

will shelley Member

hey thanks for all the great advice guys, btw its only done about 1200kms this year and my mechanic did give it a top up and new air filter seeing as the other one had a giant rusty hole in the side of it being practicaly pointless... -_- but does anyone know a good special kombi mechanic in geelong or even a KC member that i could drive over to and could give me a quick lesson
    cheers will

3. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Speed and fatigue are bs dodgy figures? No, Serena Williams is a dodgy figure. Speed and fatigue kill and suggesting otherwise seems unwise to me.

4. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Good onya Will. Hopefully, a Geelong area KC member will help you out...

I have 3 vehicles and do my own oil/oil filter changes. I am mechanically challenged so if I can do it, you can too. But besides the $$ it saves me, I feel one should at least know how to do that AND suss out your fuel system/lines regularly for safety. Plus, it's good to just get under your Kombi and 'connect' with the old girl, get your hands dirty, if you know what I mean... :)

I still get my Kombi tuned properly and checked over by a good VW mechanic fairly regularly as well. Maybe check the KC recommended mechanics thread for a good mechanic in the Geelong area.

5. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

I would like to know what people do with there old oil once changed , i still have wooden fence posts and i pour the old oil over them , no termites , fence posts 30 years old still looking good !

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's easy! I live near a river.
    Just joking:lol:

The problem is that if I put it on fence posts it would go into the ground water and into the river.

Your friendly workshop should take it for free.

7. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

My local tip has a free oil recycling deposit - not many things are free in NSW the Nanny State any more. When I do oil changes I pour the old oil into a 20L drum - when it's full I take it to the tip and pour it down the waste oil container... I wonder how much longer this will be free? :lol:

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Free tips are becoming rare in Sydney nowadays although there is a pick up point for oil, paint etc once per year in most areas. You do not need to be a resident.

This saturday we have an "e-waste" collection at Bankstown. I have to take 2 perfectly computer good monitors and a word processor there. That is a waste. Wouldn't it be good if we could send this type of stuff to third world countries.

9. Dingostrategy

There is no such thing as the third world. There's only one, we just share it badly. And no, it's not a good thing to send your e-waste abroad. The postage alone can buy a good computer.

[​IMG]

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's good, now I won't have to give them any donations.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  11. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

I do my oil changes directly over storm water drains.. perfect! *joke

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

No, that's a really good idea as it stops the grates from rusting. Very environmentalist.

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Our tip takes small quantites of oit. 10 L only. Pain in butt with 5 cars in the family to service.

14. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Only change the oil once a year? I change the oil every 2nd month and set the valves every month.

Rev.

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

My working e-waste (computer monitors, TV and word processor) are on their way to Africa. It's good to see that they are to be used and not going in to land fill.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Afetr you service your Kombi you should post the old oil back to middle east and they can put it back in the ground to refill the subteranian oil reserves :eek:

17. Dingostrategy

They are, just that the land is in Africa. For the cost of the UPS needed for a desktop and monitor - and adaptor to your power supply alone, they could buy a brand new tablet.

18. TasDevil

TasDevil New Member

Hi guys.

Forgive me for the dumb question I'm about to ask.
    I just bought my first 74 Bay and noticed a oil fill point near rivers side seat.
    What is its purpose?
    Cheers

19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I take it you mean Drivers side seat (rivers:rolleyes::oops:) It would be for brake fluid with the reservoir fill up point. Rectangler shape plastic bottle, under seat metal pedestal .

David H likes this.
  20. TasDevil

TasDevil New Member

That's it. thanks Wayne.