1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which deep cycle battery ?????????

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by auschook, Oct 22, 2012.

1. auschook

auschook Member

I am in the process of getting my Frootloop (76 Kombi) set up for travelling and was wondering what was the best type of deep cycle to get??? Any help would be appreciated in any aspect of setting up.
    Cheers
    Jools

2. leithbro

leithbro Member

Expensive, but have a look at LiFePO4 technology. Very safe, almost flat discharge curve and can be cycled thousands of time. Translates to: you get a physically smaller battery which can also be used for starting, will last much longer if treated correctly, and you get more "bang for your buck" because of the flat curve. Ie, a 12v LifePO4 will provide @13.2v until it's dead, and then will be cut off by the BMS. A Lead acid will gradually decrease gradually, so once the charge is below a usable limit, it's no good. So a 90Ah LiFePO4 is much higher usable capacity than 90Ah lead acid deep cycle.

I use this outfit at work for a different project using these cells, and can highly recommend their service. You'd get a battery with battery management built in (BMS).

http://www.a123rc.com/

I've only been getting 6.6v 4.6Ah packs, but they are custom made, and on my doorstep in a fortnight.
    If you email and outline what you're after, they're good at getting back with a quote, and custom manufacture. Probably not much change out of $600 though...

This is the tech which runs electric cars these days.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Jools, can you supply a few more details, like are you planning to do a fair bit of free camping, how long do you want to go between recharges ( drives ), what are you planning to run from the auxiliary battery and so on?

4. auschook

auschook Member

Hi
    I would like to do as much free camping as i can, but realistically probably about 50/50 but i'd like to be able to have enough power for a couple of days. I would mainly run fridge, radio, laptop occasionally and small Tv occasionally.

5. leithbro

leithbro Member

6. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Sorry Jools, I forgot to ask the most important question.

How often do you drive your Kombi?

Is it everyday, once a week or just every so often.

This may seem a strange question but it is the deciding factor for which battery will best suit your specific needs.

7. auschook

auschook Member

I usually drive my kombi everyday as it is my only transport!!

8. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Then you can fit any type of deep cycle battery as it will always be kept charged.

Now you will need an isolator and while any isolator will work, BUT if you use one of my isolators you will have at least 50% more power to use while camped, meaning you can stop longer before you need to drive to recharge your batteries.

There are other benefits but for what you are planning, this would be a major benefit to you.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

do an audit of your power consumption first

col

10. auschook

auschook Member

Hi Drivesafe .. what type are your isolators??
    I was also thinking of incorporating solar, not sure as all this is new to me!!
    Jools

11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member