1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Mag wheels???

Discussion in 'Performance' started by stusbus, Jul 1, 2014.

1. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Hoping someone mite be able to help me out with some info regarding mag wheels ? I'm wanting to replace my standard rims with a set of mags either 16" or 17" , however I'm not sure which will fit :umm: I've been looking on ebay/gumtree etc. & was wondering if any other make of vehicles (eg Ford/Holden/Audi etc) wheels will fit my 74 bay window hubs ?? Any info would be appreciated !:p

2. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

You need a 5 x 112 stud pattern and an offset around 40. Also you need to check the size of the center hole as some need to be made bigger to fit the hub.

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

The other thing I just thought of. You also need to consider the required stud length to bolt them on. I have a set of merc rims (same as the red ones that were on Ian's Angus bus). To bolt to the bus I will need to press out and press in longer studs. Not sure if that is a regular requirement of switching from steel to allow due to wall thickness or not.

4. stusbus

Ok thanks guys !
    The hunt continues :p armed with a bit more ammo !!!

5. yeah unfortunately it's usually a little bit more complicated than just buying some wheels & bolting them on, when your talking about the buses contained within these pages.

6. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Audi , some other VW, Merc, for starters.
    NOT ford as they are 114 ? rather than 112 PCT.

May need nuts to match cone/flat/vee of bolt holes .

some studs are 12mm rather than bay 14mm.

If using stock Vw nuts and they are correct face then regulations require the nut to have the same No. of threads covered as stock. [normal engineering would suggest the dia of bolt is the required depth of nut but naturaly dept transport has it differently].
    the stock nuts on a stock stud with all mags that I have seen has 14mm of thread covered but thread is still about 8-10mm down from outer face.
    safe according to engineering but not correct by dept trans. in this case I would fully agree with trans as its a bit more critical .
    Plus easier to see that the nut is done up fully by a quick inspection if stud is flush. More than one person has ignored noises and driven on loose wheel nuts.

Hence you should PRESS old studs out and PRESS in longer ones.

Different kombis will vary slightly but my clearance with a carcass width of 220-225 ? [rough tape measurement] is 30mm clearance to spring plate and 6mm to wheel arch [measured at lip but no issues on compression]with a ET30 and 215/60/16. 235/45/17 with ET25 is same so some measuring error likely . +- 2-3mm on any measurement
    Both 215/60/16 and 235/45/17 max carcass widths are same within a couple of mm and mounted on 7" rims. [again eyeballed with tape]

going by these measurements there is about a min of 255mm between spring plate and inner of outside w/a. Less a safe clearance both sides.

different width rims and profiles will alter section widths

check out what John sherman has in stock.

8. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Audi mags come up pretty cheap on ebay, you will need longer studs and nuts to suit alloys. JK sell an alloy wheel upgrade kit for around $60 which is a full set of correct length studs and chrome nuts to suit.
    I picked up a set of 6 A4 mags for $50 , they bolt straight onto the rear but front needs to have the holes enlarged to about 64mm.

9. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I trial fitted 16 inch wheels from wifes audi A4, 7.5 inch, et43. Front fit was good. However, 225 tyres interfered with rear trailing arm. Wheels from A5 have different offset et26 and I have seen these fitted. My 15X7 inch wheels have low offset (et25), and sit quite close to wheel arch. Drives OK and I like to look with guards filled out. Technically the wheels with offset around et40 would be best, but to get the wider modern rims to fit it seems et30 and lower are the go.

PS Cost me almost as much to get the longer studs fitted as it did to get the wheels off gumtree, can be a bugger of a job apparently!

10. stusbus

Thanks for all the info guys will keep on searching & will give John Sherman a call when I get the chance ! :D

11. stusbus

Is a rim with a et50 suitable for a bay window ??

12. stusbus

After much deliberation & many hours on gumtree/ebay etc :wtf:I've decided to save my pennies & to go down the path of new mags for my bay , so am now looking for suggestions of who might be the best company to buy from when the time comes ???? I've had a quick look at JK & Shermans !:p