1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which welder??

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Mr Tim, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Mr Tim

Mr Tim Member

2. Hooch n Lol

Hooch n Lol New Member

I would be happy with any of those, but I am only a DIY kinda guy, mine cost $50 of an old guy that used to live next door and it seems to work well enough for me, it's welded countless VW beetles in the UK that all met the ministry of transport standards and bearing in mind that there is a lot of rust on most UK cars that is a lot of metal that has been replaced........ I reckon that you should pick the one that is from trade tools simply cause I have had loads of tools from them and they always work well, that doesn't mean it's he best welder because I don't know but at least if it goes wrong they will sort it out for you and you know that you can get spares for it.
    I am sure that someone will disagree with my choice, but if it's a choice between you buying a cheap welder that does what it needs to do and gets your VW on the road safely with the minimal amount of cost to you, or paying for someone else to do the work and having no money left to finish the project, then I know what I would do.....I have seen some of the best project vehicles in the UK that have been built by people with minimal tools/money/experience, you just gotta have a go and do your best (now I sound like my dad giving me a pep talk.....sorry to go on).
    I have the Haynes welding manual on PDF if you want drop me a line with your address and I will put a load of sheet metal work books on a disc and post it to you, or look on the pirate bay for sheet metal work and download it yourself.

3. Mr Tim

Mr Tim Member

Many thanks to Dak, Hooch, Cbus, 68bus and Bolts for the excellent advice on all things welding!!
    As I have some welding plans with bicycles and more than one VW, reckon I'll go with the Trade Tools machine. This one ought to satisfy my needs for those projects for years to come.
    Between past experience, online tutes and lots of trial runs/practice, the machine and I will become great friends. Keep an eye on the resto blog for the results in the future.
    Of course, now I need to scrimp a few more $$ together to pay for it all. :)

Cheers

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sorry no reply on your last list but was trying to find out which model Alex got for work. He has the trade tools ones and teaches manual arts but the ones he has at about $700 was a 250amp.
    I recon the 180 should be ok. I used to have a 180 esab in my workshop. Different kettle of fish to many but it was a delight to use on difficult jobs. Bit pricey tho.

Had a look at lukes new welder on the w/e and it is a 180 supercheap gas/gasless and shit welds without gas but very nice runs with a high argon mix. hopefuly he may put up some photos. Shows a moderate priced unit can do the job but you definately need the gas.

good luck
    cheers
    col

5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

No worries for the help.
    Once again agree with Col (I am yet to disagree with Col as most of what I know I got from his posts:p)

Low power is fine, as you will only be welding in really short bursts anyway so cycle time does not matter to us.
    But gas is good!

I learnt this the hard way, I made myself a big sliding gate. It is really strong but when I showed my welder as it was on the top of the ute, his fisrt question was "was it windy when you welded it up?".
    It was hot day so I opened up the doors and had a fan on. Didn;t think about the fact that I was blowing the shielding gas away:lol:.

Ended up with really strong bird poo welds. Made it through the hot dip process wtihout falling apart and is now 3 years old, but you live and learn...

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

8. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Top thread guys I think you have nailed it....go forth and burn metal. I was going to ask a question but it's all here.

9. Justin

Justin Active Member

i too am looking at repairing some rust in my kombi in the coming weeks . . .

i am looking at a MIG welder very similar to the one in post #20 .

it is a gas/gasless one - is this a problem ?? , i was talking to the maintenance supervisor at the mine in which i work at and he reckons gasless MIGs are a waste of time . . .

why are the gas/gasless ones significantly cheaper that just the gas migs ? . . .
    if a gasless one can also be a gas one , then shouldnt it be just as expensive as just the straight gas one ???
    or is it inferior ?

any help would be appreciated :)

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Very likely it is cheaper due to the build quality and cycle / power abilty.
    I suppose, if you are serious about getting a good machine then you will also want the best quality welds and gas would be were your head is at.
    For the money you are spending you expect good quality parts and power.

The cheaper units that are designed for the people that are not going to weld 10mm+ plate does not need the heavy power and fast cycle time, because they only want it to lay a few welds here and there.

The builder probably put a decent unit together but knows full well it will not last for 10 years, hence the price. It proably costs them little extra to put in the gas funtion, but they give the option of a flux core wire because a DIY/Hobbiest welder probably does not want to pay yearly rental on a gas bottle that only gets used once every 4 months.

I have two big bottles and the rent is pretty big. But hey, for me its better than running out of gas on a Sunday.

All tolled, it is probably a really good machine if you don;t intend to use it to weld up posts for your deck later. (or similar stuff)

11. bolts

bolts Member

Someone asked the price of the Kempi ----

The Kempi 180 welder I use cost $1700 a couple of years ago.

Someone mentioned having owned an ESAB 180. I still have one of those and it is a dream to use. Over 25 years old now. Can't get parts anymore. Had to make new feed rollers for the poor old girl a few months ago.

I run 0.5mm wire in the ESAB. 0.8mm in the Kempi and 0.9mm in the CIG. I use the Kempi for all the silicon bronze (panel) work with 0.8mm wire.

12. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Any updates or further info on half decent MIG welding rig in the under-$1000 area. For DIY panel repair and home handyman/fabrication use. Online reviews vary on every brand so a bit hard to go off. Made a ladder rack for front of my ute from 3mmSHS at a mate's place with a cheap ozito set the other day... worked out not too bad but apart from this I am complete noob so advise accordingly :) Cheers.